the thing I'm not seeing touched upon regarding Shogun/Gus

Let's look at ALL the championship rounds Shogun has ever competed in within the Octagon:

Rounds 4 & 5 of Machida I
Rounds 4 & 5 of Hendo
Round 4 of Vera

Percent of championship rounds Shogun has won that he has competed in: 100%

Shogun's lack of cardio is talked about way too often on Sherdog. For a guy that gasses in the 1st so often he does an amazing job of never losing later rounds...

No reason in particular. Just that Shogun manages to get it while hurt frequently.

Yeah I actually brought that up earlier in this thread. I'm wondering the same thing myself. Wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Exactly! And yet he won every single championship round he's fought in the UFC. The lack of cardio is BS to be honest. I saw Rashad and Davis fight 5 rounds,one of the last LHW 5 round fight with two guys that are supposed to be in great shape, and it was hardly a fast pace fight, and yet Davis was huffing and puffing and Rashad was pretty tired as well.

Exactly! And yet he won every single championship round he's fought in the UFC. The lack of cardio is BS to be honest. I saw Rashad and Davis fight 5 rounds,one of the last LHW 5 round fight with two guys that are supposed to be in great shape, and it was hardly a fast pace fight, and yet Davis was huffing and puffing and Rashad was pretty tired as well.

Very true. Shogun may get winded after being on the ground, but what opponents besides Jones looked fresh after rolling with him? It's not like it's easy to be on the ground with him and not end up in a bad position. If this goes to the ground for any decent length of time with no finish, I'm betting we will see Gus looking tired as well.

Back