The Top 20 World's Strongest Animal Bite Forces, Measured in PSI (NEW!)

Damn, I was thinking the Great White would be right at the top. Wow.

Great informative list.

I love animals.

However, we all know the P4P baddest muthafuckaz out there...

wolverine-animal4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The moral of the story is: If a saltwater crocodile offers you a blowjob, do NOT engage.

My ex had a mean bite too. Imagine down there on your little guy having teeth mark indentions after a BJ.

i dont think a jaguar has a stronger bite than a fully grown african lion but pound for pound i think the jaguar has the strongest bite among cats for its size

It's hard to judge. Cats aren't an animal that it's easy to test the full bite force of. Crocs, just stick something in their mouth and they'll instinctively try as hard as they can to unmake it. Cats, it's more difficult to get them to bite full force. However, I've seen a lot of places say that jaguars have the strongest bite of any cat. I've seen them quoted at upto 2000 PSI.

This makes sense though, when you consider the animal and the way it hunts. Most other cats' preferred method of kill by denying their prey oxygen in some manner. Usually a bite to the throat. This isn't the jaguar's style. The jaguar's favored method is to get the prey's head in its mouth and deliver a skull-crushing bite that penetrates the brain and kills instantly. Also unlike other big cats, they prey on turtles and they needed to evolve a strong enough bite to piece that armor.

On the topic of cat bites, it makes sense that lions are the weakest of the big cats. Every other big cat is a solitary hunter while lions hunt in groups. More teamwork and finesse, less brute force. My opinion? They had to start sticking together because unlike other big cats, they had the enormous misfortune to share an ecosystem with the most ill-tempered, hateful beast that walks the Earth today: the African cape buffalo.

I've read articles claiming a bite force of like 40000 lbs. Probably an overstatement though. Either way, no doubt T.rex beats any land animal by a wide margin. Besides it's relatives ofcourse, which would also have insanely strong jaws.

Actually, no. Tyrannosaurus rex had a much stronger bite than other theropods, even ones of similar size. This is due to its prey. Other carnivorous dinosaurs had fleshy prey to hunt. Much like how the jaguar got stronger jaws to deal with turtle shells, tyrannosaurus rex evolved a ridiculous bite force because it was stuck hunting the toughest herbivores this planet has ever produced, such as ankylosaurus and triceratops.

The best bite force estimate on t. rex, IMO, was done by the Smithsonian. They had all sorts of scans of a complete t. rex skull and ran them through computer simulations. The computer simulation produced a bite force of 12,800 pounds. I'm not sure how you convert that into the PSI that's shown in this post. Whenever I look at bite forces of animals, I find that living animals are almost always listed in PSI and extinct ones in total bite force. Not sure why. I know I don't care for it though.

This is also why there was that controversy over the spinosaurus defeating the t. rex in Jurassic Park III. The battle opened with t. rex getting ahold of spino's neck. When tyrannosaurus rex gets ahold of your neck, it doesn't matter who you are, it's over. Some have even argued that t. rex had the strength to bite spino's head clean off.

Couldn't the same be said for snapping turtles?

Yes, which is why OP is way the hell off about them having a record bite. Alligator snapping turtles have "about the same bite force as humans, relative to size" which is even less impressive when you realize they're smaller than us. That bit about them being able to bite off fingers is indeed true, however. Jaws like goddamn scissors.

Myth: Tasmanian Devil, strongest PSI bite force in an animal? Not true. They’re around 20 pounds in weight and their PSI is 200. They do however process the strongest bite compared to their body size among any other animal, which means their BFQ would be considerably higher.

Also a myth. A more understandable one. I keep hearing either the tasmanian devil or the piranha having the strongest bite per body mass. Both wrong. There's a species that completely destroys everything else in BFQ, and it's one that almost no one would even consider.

Parrots are MADE for BFQ. Nature designed them for two things: to be as light as possible for easy flight, and to make cracking the world's hardest nuts look easy. 35% of the muscles in a parrot's body are in its jaw. The problem is, they're friendly little critters that don't want to hurt anyone so it's difficult to measure their bite force. They're extremely intelligent but explaining "bite this as hard as you can" to any animal is going to be problematic. Still, we know this much. Hyacinth macaws, palm cockatoos, and greenwing macaws are capable of breaking open macadamia nuts and they all weigh about 3 pounds. Macadamia nuts are the hardest nuts in the world, requiring 300 PSI to crack. These birds make it look easy. The only time I've seen a parrot included in a bite force competition, the bird measured 375 PSI and the guy still noted, "he looked like he was just playing with it", implying he didn't think the bird was biting full force even at 375.

Summary: 3 pounds, ≥ 375 PSI.

Actually, no. Tyrannosaurus rex had a much stronger bite than other theropods, even ones of similar size. This is due to its prey. Other carnivorous dinosaurs had fleshy prey to hunt. Much like how the jaguar got stronger jaws to deal with turtle shells, tyrannosaurus rex evolved a ridiculous bite force because it was stuck hunting the toughest herbivores this planet has ever produced, such as ankylosaurus and triceratops.

The best bite force estimate on t. rex, IMO, was done by the Smithsonian. They had all sorts of scans of a complete t. rex skull and ran them through computer simulations. The computer simulation produced a bite force of 12,800 pounds. I'm not sure how you convert that into the PSI that's shown in this post. Whenever I look at bite forces of animals, I find that living animals are almost always listed in PSI and extinct ones in total bite force. Not sure why. I know I don't care for it though.

This is also why there was that controversy over the spinosaurus defeating the t. rex in Jurassic Park III. The battle opened with t. rex getting ahold of spino's neck. When tyrannosaurus rex gets ahold of your neck, it doesn't matter who you are, it's over. Some have even argued that t. rex had the strength to bite spino's head clean off.

Apparently the study about the T rex having 40,000 lbs + was more recent than the one by the Smithsonian, how ever, they're talking about psi in the most recent study, so is it possible that the sharp teeth simply translate 12k worth of force over such a small surface area, that it ends up being 40k psi?

if i watch some documentary, why crocs always fear (won't attack) hippos? is it bcos hippos are heavier?
Just because Crocs have stronger bites, that doesn't mean that they're coming out of a fight with a hippo unscathed.

This ain't a sparring match. The animal kingdom plays for keeps.

Dude!! I thought TCE was back making awesome animal threads... then realized it was an old one.

Leaving disappointed....

Back