International The U.K wants to ban Donald Trump for saying they're trying to disguise their massive Muslim problem

Donald Trump's statements about what's happening in the U.K and Germany is...

• Absolutely true!

• Completely false!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ban Trump, he's evil and will bring nothing but trouble to our shores. But allowing millions of fighting age, single Muslim men to flood into Europe, unchecked, in a small space of time? - That is just fine, only a racist would think this could cause any problems. Lefty logic 101.

This quote is like TCK in an evolution thread. Irony overload.

2FAFEB0700000578-0-image-a-53_1451493849188.jpg

12:19 p.m. – DUP MP Gavin Robinson questions whether Jeremy Corbyn has more reason to be banned than Trump:

CapturePNG.png

Gavin Robinson, a member of the Democratic Unionist Party from Northern Ireland, is also using the opportunity of this debate to rip his opponents, including republicans in Northern Ireland and nationalists in Scotland who, he says, once welcomed Trump with open arms but now condemn him. Trump, who’s of Scottish heritage, has invested heavily in Scottish golf courses and was until recently a business ambassador for Scotland.

Robinson says Donald Trump shouldn’t be banned - and instead says people should be looking at Jeremy Corbyn who “supported the IRA murdering citizens in this country”.

He says it’s relevant that Jeremy Corbyn has raised the prospect of back-channel talks with Daesh, otherwise known as ISIS.

On the other hand Trump hasn’t “erred in law” despite being a “ridiculous xenophobe”, he says.

He says Trump “throws a dead cat on the table and people stop considering what they were considering, stop doing what they were doing, and listen”.

He wants to see Donald Trump come to Britain and be grilled by Parliament and BBC Daily Politics host Andrew Neil.

'Bring him here, let us have the opportunity to challenge him, and let him go home with his tail between his legs.'+

Mr Robinson blasted the SNP for their past support for Mr Trump – insisting they did not need a 'crystal ball' to spy trouble before they made him an 'ambassador' in Scotland.

12:27 - Tory MP Tom Tugendhat says with a “cry of freedom and liberty” that the debate is right to have - but Trump shouldn’t be banned.

CapturePNG.png

He says liberty is not something we can take in part.

“Although I may not like it, and I can be absolutely sure I wouldn’t support it, it is no place of me or this House to criticise a man running for elected office in a foreign country”.

He is asked to take that back but says again: “We have the right to criticise but.... we should not exercise that on people who are running for elected office in foreign countries”.

“I believe it is for the American people to judge him”.

Last edited:
MP Naz Shah from the Labour party recited the Qur’an before revealing her grand plan to lure The Donald in with a bowl of Bradford curry, and then drag him to a mosque for cultural enrichment after he's full and defenseless:

12:30 p.m. — Bradford West Labour MP Naz Shah says “it’s not the first time I’ve dealt with a demagogue” - because she was up against George Galloway in last year’s election.

She says Trump is “no more than demagogue. He panders to people’s fears... The people of Bradford West helped me get rid of one in this election!”

But although she respects the views calling for a ban, she will not call for one herself.

And she paraphrases the Qur’an, saying: “Goodness is better than evil. If someone does bad, you do good in return”.

She tells MPs: “I stand here as a proud British Muslim woman. Donald Trump would like me banned from America.”

But after quoting the holy book she adds: “I will not allow the rhetoric of badness into my life, into my heart, or that of my constituents. I will challenge that with goodness because hatred breeds hate.”

But she won’t support banning him from the United Kingdom. Instead, she wants to invite him to Bradford, “the curry capital of Britain.” She would serve him food and take him to the mosque, she said.

CapturePNG.png

Last edited:
On the other hand, the PC brigade on Facebook is saying they will move to Canada if Trump is elected.

Now I kinda want Trump to win.

I don't want Trump to win, but if it results in all the SJWs moving to Canada and all the sane Germans and Brits moving here to fill their spaces, that would indeed make America great again

It's amazing that liberals don't see the utter irony of wanting to ban someone simply because they don't agree with them. How very tolerant!

MP Sir Edward Leigh has it right:

"In a free country you have the right to offend people. I offend people in this House all the time.
Also the United States is a friendly country. Twice in two world wars it has come to our rescue and this man may conceivably become president of our most important ally."

12:38 p.m. Tory MP Victoria Atkins: "Donald Trump is a wazzock"

Tory MP Victoria Atkins reveals she’s the only MP who can lay claim to a New York - the same of a settlement in her Lincolnshire seat.

She says many people in her constituency would call Donald Trump a “wazzock”.

But she adds: “Freedom of speech must mean that sometimes we are going to be offended”.

'We should have enough confidence in our values to allow him to say whatever he wants.

'Our British values are stronger than some here today appear to feel.'

'If Donald Trump poses any questions for us as a country… the answer is not to ban him. It is to rebut his arguments.

'The answer is to challenge him in robust democratic argument that he is wrong about the contribution of American and British Muslims.'

She says people who have been banned from Britain include murderers and people inciting death. Does Donald Trump really meet that threshold?

But Labour’s Tulip Siddiq argues that the scores of people banned for hate speech are similar to Trump.

CapturePNG.png

Last edited:
12:42 p.m. — Ahmed-Sheikh says that by condemning Muslims, Trump has condemned Britain’s Olympic athletes, its newscasters and its members of Parliament. And he’s playing into the Islamic State’s narrative, by portraying a clash of civilizations between the West and the Muslim worlds. Others have been banned for anti-gay rhetoric or for Islamist extremism. The government needs to be consistent, and ban Trump for his hateful rhetoric against Muslims. “His remarks are condemning an entire religion,” she says.

12:46 p.m.
Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh, a Scottish National Party member, is interrupted by a questioner who describes Trump’s comments as “buffoonery,” which should be met “not with a ban, but with the great British response of ridicule.” There are a few cheers for this idea.

CapturePNG.png

Last edited:
12:54 p.m. — Tory MP Steve Double warns free speech has already been eroded too much

CapturePNG.png

Tory MP Steve Double says: “This country has a long and strong tradition of free speech. I believe that tradition has been eroded.”

If we banned Mr Trump “where would we draw the line? There are many people who have equally intolerant views”.

He doesn’t believe Mr Trump has “crossed the line” into inciting violence, he says.

He says “for starters we’d have to ban the current Prime Minister of Hungary” because he has said similarly bigoted things.

1:01 p.m.Labour's Jack Dromey: "Trump shouldn't be allowed within 1,000 miles of Britain"

CapturePNG.png

The Labour’s spokesman on home affairs says allowing Trump to come to the United Kingdom at such a time would be “damaging, it would be dangerous, it would be deeply divisive.”

He imagines Trump bringing his rhetoric to Birmingham, a city with a substantial Muslim population, and wonders how that would affect young people there, saying, “the consequences of that would be very serious indeed.”

He says Trump and Muslim extremists feed off one another, adding, “ISIS needs Donald Trump and Donald Trump needs ISIS.”

Dromey closes with a call for a ban: “don’t think Donald Trump should be allowed within 1,000 miles of our shore because he would embolden the EDL on the one hand and fuel the flames of terrorism on the other hand. Donald Trump is free to be a fool. But he is not free to be a dangerous fool in Britain.”

Last edited:
1:11 p.m. — SNP MP Corri Wilson: Closing Trump's golf course would be "catastrophic"

CapturePNG.png

Before the debate, Trump had threatened to withdraw his planned investment in his Scottish golf courses if Britain went through with a ban. That threat may have had an impact.

Corri Wilson, a Scottish National Party member who represents the area that is home to Turnberry, one of the billionaire businessman’s golf resorts, read off statistics about the number of jobs created in her area by Trump.

She says Trump’s “family-run business that consults with local people” helped saved the golf course in the seat of Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock from ruin.

Closure would be “catastrophic for the resort... and the local community,” she adds.

She says: “The man seems to out-trump himself - no pun intended - every time he speaks in his bid to win the Republican nomination.”

But she will NOT support a ban.

1:19 p.m. — Tory MP Philip Davies is the first person to actually praise Donald Trump.

CapturePNG.png

He says the ban would be “completely ridiculous”, saying in cliched fashion: “You couldn’t make it up!”

He says Trump is running a “one-man campaign against political correctness”.

He compares himself to the tycoon, saying he is “someone who has had their own campaign against political correctness for some time here in this Parliament”.

He adds: “I think in this country we could do with rather less political correctness and more straight talking across the board. It’s in part because of political correctness that the straight talking of Donald Trump has proved so popular with the electorate out there.”

He adds he has a “lot of respect” for Jeremy Corbyn because he doesn’t say what people are expecting.

Philip Davies, a Conservative, accuses those who want to stamp out intolerance of being intolerant themselves. He says that it’s easy to be for “motherhood and apple pie,” but that it takes “real guts” to say things that are controversial. He’s not defending Trump. But he is defending Trump’s right to speak.

He asked: "Lots of my constituents would agree with Donald Trump, whether I like that or not. Do you think they should be expelled from the country or not?"

Davies is interrupted by another Conservative, Adam Holloway, who says the debate is “embarrassing” for Britain. “We should apologize to the people of the United States,” he says. “It’s for them to decide, not us.”

Last edited:
Also worth mentioning that in the UK, Trump's various business ventures have pumped around £1 billion into the economy.

1:24 p.m. — British members of Parliament are exhausting a thesaurus using words to condemn Trump. They’ve called him “a buffoon,” “a demagogue,” “a joke.” One member called him “an idiot” about five times in three minutes.

1:31 p.m.Tory MP Kwazi Kwarteng: “And then we would be in the absurd situation of having banned the President of the United States.”

CapturePNG.png

Kwazi Kwarteng, one of a relatively small number of black members of Parliament, notes that the debate has been “sanitized” because it has ignored the long tradition of nativism and xenophobia in U.S. history.

Tory Kwasi Kwarteng says the US has banned the Chinese, Asians and Arabs before - and this is nothing new.

“It is Martin Luther King Day and I think if Martin Luther King were here he’d be very proposed at some of the sugar-coated versions of American history presented today,” he says.

He says Trump’s views are “objectionable, hateful” but they have a history - “they are not something he dreamt up in his own head”.

He adds banning Trump would be a “spectacular own goal” because it would feed into the narrative of American independence.

He recalls what happened in 2004 when the Guardian urged readers to write to Americans in Ohio urging them not to vote for George W Bush. The stunt backfired, and Bush carried Ohio, Kwarteng says.

Nativism, says the historian and Conservative member, is very much within the American political tradition. And Trump is part of that history.

He may want to ban Muslims, but “the answer to his ban is not to ban him.” Doing so would only give him more publicity, generating “headlines around the world.” And besides, Trump could win. “And then we would be in the absurd situation of having banned the president of the United States.”

Tory MP Dr Sarah Woollaston asks whether Donald Trump is “conducive to the public good”

CapturePNG.png

As a “gentle atheist” and the MP for Dartmouth, the departure point for Pilgrim fathers, she says if she was a Muslim she would find Trump’s views “repulsive”.

She adds if Donald Trump is excluded from one of the US’s oldest allies it would “send a very strong message” about how Brits feel about Islamophobia.

“Let’s as this House send a very clear message to British Muslims that we value you, we value your contribution, and we will take this petition very seriously”, she says.

But she says he SHOULD visit and “take time to visit the mosques” because that could show him how wrong his views are.

1:45 p.m.SNP’s Anne McLaughlin: 'I'm sorry hypocrite Trump is part-Scottish"

CapturePNG.png

The SNP’s Anne McLaughlin says she does not necessarily support a ban but Britain should send a message to Trump.

“I think the very fact this this petition was so popular highlights... we in these islands reject whole-heartedly excluding anyone on the basis of their religion,” she says.

And she blasts the “hypocrisy of this son of an immigrant this religious minority advocating being bigoted against other minorities.”

She says Trump’s mother was Scottish and left her homeland during the Great Depression to go to the “land of opportunity” - something for which she apologises.

“The Mexican migrants that Trump so roundly defamed are engaged in the same quest as his forebears”, she adds.

She says Trump’s views run counter to the enlightenment values that unite Britain and America.

She says other MPs have opposed banning Trump. But they have not explained the difference between what Trump said and some of the hate speech that has led to other people being banned from the UK.

She says Trump called not just for Muslims to be banned, but for them to be registered and tracked too. She says she cannot see the difference between this and what the Nazis did to the Jews before the second world war.

And people says Trump might be President. But what would Britain do if the President of China banned all Christians.

Kwazi Kwarteng intervenes. He says Christians have been banned from Mecca for years. But we do not ban the King of Saudi Arabia.

McLaughlin says she does not necessarily support the government’s policy towards Saudi Arabia.

And she says the government should condemn the racist tweets that her colleague Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh has received as a result of her stance in this debate.

She ends a mammoth, exhausting 15-minute speech by quoting Martin Luther King.

At one point she refers to a newspaper front page which may have said a majority of Muslims supported extremism.

It was one in five, actually. That’s 20%.

1:58 p.m
. — Lots of amateur analysis of American politics going on in Parliament right now. Scottish National Party member Anne McLaughlin was just interrupted by a member who wanted to talk about GOP presidential candidate Ted Cruz. “Where is the Republican Party going, putting one [candidate] up who’s as bad as the other?” she asked.

140911_CruzBoo_Harkness.jpg

Last edited:
this is too funny. as if this is the most important thing going on in the UK at the moment.

They should probably be debating how to set a higher standard for online petitions... makes it far too easy for a non-issue to clog up the house.

anywho, excellent pbp Arkain2k. keep it coming. I'd "like" all of your updates but i don't want to be Helmer.

Could anyone dig up the quote where Trump said he wanted to ban Muslims from the US? I can't seem to find it.

this is too funny. as if this is the most important thing going on in the UK at the moment.

They should probably be debating how to set a higher standard for online petitions... makes it far too easy for a non-issue to clog up the house.

anywho, excellent pbp Arkain2k. keep it coming. I'd "like" all of your updates but i don't want to be Helmer.

To be honest, I can't believe what I'm watching right now is a real U.K Parliament debate, and still fully expects the Queen of England popping out from behind that door and yell "THIS IS SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE!!!"

Any minute now....

...Any minute now...

Last edited:
Have you guys considered Trump would, if banned, turn this into a 'Yuge' victory?

For many, Trump is the 'Fuck You' candidate. 'Fuck You' to the establishment, 'Fuck You' to illegal Mexicans, 'Fuck You' to Muslims, and potentially now, 'Fuck You' to Britain.

For those that despise Trump, you probably wouldn't want him to turn it around for political advantage, and it wouldn't be hard.

i guess the empty seats speak for the "are you fucking kidding me" part of the house

To be honest, I can't believe what I'm watching right now is a real Parliament debate, and still fully expects the Queen of England popping out from behind that door and yell "THIS IS SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE!!!"

304EF62000000578-3404592-image-m-35_1453137253744.jpg

I think of a Monty Python sketch whenever some of the more absurd western EU news comes up. Im sure two of these MPs are about to start a round of fish-slap fighting after a rep from the department of silly walks announces the match.

Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Back