Economy The U.S-China Trade War: China said it would impose retaliatory tariffs on $75 billion in U.S. goods

I think the reason some people argue that China is not a 3rd world country is because it has the 2nd largest economy, plenty of manufacturing and cities that look modern and clean. But all this belies the vast poor rural areas. I wouldn't call them 3rd world but then i wouldn't call them 1st world either.

Dubai is, on the surface a 1st world city-state, but in reality it is very much 3rd world. So shiny bables and fancy looking buildings doesn't make a place 1st world. Any Swiss city doesn't look as modern as Dubai (on the surface) but they are definitely 1st world.
Is he is as popular as you say then why can China hold elections he will win them by a large margin isnt?

Really?

Things that Mexico has that China doesnt.

-Floating, stable currency.
-Democracy.
-Freedom of the press.
-Freedom of movement.
-Constitutional rights.
-Young population.
-Fertility rates around replacement levels.
-Tolerable pollution levels.
-Healthy corporate debt.

Also Mexico receives around 32 millions international tourists arrivals every year, thats around 25% of its entire population coming in and out of the country every year.

China on the other hand receives roughly 50 million tourists thats around 4% of its population.

So yeah, the future is far more brighter in Mexico than China, by a longshot.

Lol Id rather live in China. China is like my ideal country almost. Its superior to mexico. Also they are working on robots and human cloning so lol at their demographic issues. They will be making superhumans gene engineered in like 10 to 15 years.

Mexico is violent and unstable and a servant or day labor slave of America. And chinese love their government it is ethno nationalist and supports their ideology outlook.

I think the reason some people argue that China is not a 3rd world country is because it has the 2nd largest economy, plenty of manufacturing and cities that look modern and clean. But all this belies the vast poor rural areas. I wouldn't call them 3rd world but then i wouldn't call them 1st world either.

Dubai is, on the surface a 1st world city-state, but in reality it is very much 3rd world. So shiny bables and fancy looking buildings doesn't make a place 1st world. Any Swiss city doesn't look as modern as Dubai (on the surface) but they are definitely 1st world.

What is the former soviet sphere and Russia and Ukraine specifially? What about Brazil?

Lol Id rather live in China. China is like my ideal country almost. Its superior to mexico. Also they are working on robots and human cloning so lol at their demographic issues. They will be making superhumans gene engineered in like 10 to 15 years.

But you dont mate. Anyone with enough money would not live in China if they could.

Mexico is violent and unstable and a servant or day labor slave of America. And chinese love their government it is ethno nationalist and supports their ideology outlook.

Mexico is far more stable in the long term than China and China cant really point fingers when it comes to slave labor.

But you dont mate. Anyone with enough money would not live in China if they could.

Mexico is far more stable in the long term than China and China cant really point fingers when it comes to slave labor.

I think different. China has a bright future unless the US and allies go to war with them. And destroy them and then turn them into japan. And even then ha the japan scenario is better.

A lot of rich live in china. I swore i read like shanghai has more billionaires than nyc now. Id rather live in spain or argentina right now.

But wouldnt mind spending some time on beijing or shanghai. Mexico is a country you get killed easy.

Havent been to NYC llan to visit but it is very dirty and people and stuff i wouldnt like.

If i had tons money no way i choose mexico

I think different. China has a bright future unless the US and allies go to war with them. And destroy them and then turn them into japan. And even then ha the japan scenario is better.

No, it doesnt. For a lot of factors of which population implosion is the long term dire issue, while massive corporate debt is the short term one.

A lot of rich live in china. I swore i read like shanghai has more billionaires than nyc now. Id rather live in spain or argentina right now.

But wouldnt mind spending some time on beijing or shanghai. Mexico is a country you get killed easy.

Of course there are a lot of rich people in China, there are a lot of rich people everywhere in the world, the issue is attracting rich people from elsewhere.

And you dont get killed easy unless you are part of the drug dealing business, specially if you have money.

Havent been to NYC llan to visit but it is very dirty and people and stuff i wouldnt like.

If i had tons money no way i choose mexico

Depends on what tons of money means.

No, there is no such notion.

You however seem to have this notion that only the Chinese were victims of British aggression, the British fucked virtually the entire world.

i5giy0ctg5yx.png

No, they are not.

And the CCP is a villain, no democratic government would need to suppress the truth, create a "citizen score" or a massive surveillance system if they werent villains.

You had your argument in the 50s, how does that applies to the coming 2020s? are Chinese simply that "stupid and inferior" that they cant handle democracy and social freedoms or is the CCP just an asshole party?

Not everyone wants your "demoracy" hundreds million across the world dont mind having not so democratic government because it supports their goals.

You view this with such a narrow mind.
Democracies suppress the truth all the time. They just have less of a need to do it as much as Communist nations because in general civilian populations like the US are more indoctrinated by mass media. Modern day Americans are probably the most heavily indoctrinated civilian populations in world history, nothing comes close.

As for surveillance, lol every street corner in the UK basically has video cameras that allow government access. Never heard of the Snowden leaks?

Once again Rod, I give western nations zero, absolutely zero moral high ground in terms of almost every metric. So we're basically speaking to each other in a way that neither can really convince the other since our paradigms are so different. Its like a flat earther debating with a person who believes the earth is round, its gonna get nowhere.

Also Rod, why would they want to adopt the governmental systems of a people who tried to use chemical warfare on them, who tried to make their entire population into worthless addicts?

The west has the culteual marxist sickness. And weakness. China dont want that

Not everyone wants your "demoracy" hundreds million across the world dont mind having not so democratic government because it supports their goals.

You view this with such a narrow mind.

The west has the culteual marxist sickness. And weakness. China dont want that

If China doesnt wants that it could elect conservative governments like Japan does, there is no mass migrations to Japan despite being a democracy.

China tapped a long time ago and Trump is still cranking like Palhares.

No, it doesnt. For a lot of factors of which population implosion is the long term dire issue, while massive corporate debt is the short term one.

Of course there are a lot of rich people in China, there are a lot of rich people everywhere in the world, the issue is attracting rich people from elsewhere.

And you dont get killed easy unless you are part of the drug dealing business, specially if you have money.

Depends on what tons of money means.

The reason probably a lot of rich non chinese dont live in china is because it is like 90% or more chinese in major cities. It isnt a hospitable place like NYC is for immigrants. Few cities are moscow isnt nor is Istanbul. But London and NYCs of world are.

I guess there is always singapore not chinese but basically is owned by chinese.
If China doesnt wants that it could elect conservative governments like Japan does, there is no mass migrations to Japan despite being a democracy.

You have no ideology no higher purpose. You see things as a non darwinian atheist who values only the material things and "liberalism" so or course you cannot understand china or the rest of the 2nd and 3rd world or people like Orban. We are arguing from different areas.

The reason probably a lot of rich non chinese dont live in china is because it is like 90% or more chinese in major cities. It isnt a hospitable place like NYC is for immigrants. Few cities are moscow isnt nor is Istanbul. But London and NYCs of world are.

I guess there is always singapore not chinese but basically is owned by chinese.

Im pretty sure pollution and an oppressive society are bigger issues.

You have no ideology no higher purpose. You see things as a non darwinian atheist who values only the material things and "liberalism" so or course you cannot understand china or the rest of the 2nd and 3rd world or people like Orban. We are arguing from different areas.

You are changing the subject here, you said hundreds of millions dont like democracy when its demonstrably false, people like being able to choose and punish their own leaders when they fail.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...tariff-pressure-on-china-with-200-billion-hit

China vowed to retaliate after the U.S. said it will impose a 10 percent tariff on about $200 billion in Chinese goods next week and more than double the rate in 2019.

The statement from the Ministry of Commerce didn’t note specific actions, though China has previously said it would respond with levies on $60 billion worth of U.S. goods. Such a move risks deepening the standoff even further, with President Donald Trump saying in a statement on Monday the U.S. will immediately pursue additional tariffs on about $267 billion of Chinese imports if Beijing hits back.

"The U.S. side insisted on imposing tariffs, which has brought new uncertainty to the bilateral negotiations," the commerce ministry statement said. "We hope that the U.S. side will recognize the negative consequences of such acts and take convincing measures to correct them in a timely manner."

The Trump administration is giving American businesses a chance to adjust and look for alternative supply chains by delaying an increase of the tariff to 25 percent on Jan. 1 for the $200 billion batch of Chinese goods, according to two senior administration officials who briefed reporters on Monday. The 10 percent tariff will take effect on Sept. 24.

“For months, we have urged China to change these unfair practices, and give fair and reciprocal treatment to American companies,” Trump said. “We have been very clear about the type of changes that need to be made, and we have given China every opportunity to treat us more fairly. But, so far, China has been unwilling to change its practices.”

740x-1.png

Well I hope you are Han Chinese. It's a bit shit if you aren't.

Jack Ma has forecast this trade war going for up to 20 years.

This is a problem for China as America has a lot of experience in long drawn out wars which accomplish very little.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...tariff-pressure-on-china-with-200-billion-hit

China vowed to retaliate after the U.S. said it will impose a 10 percent tariff on about $200 billion in Chinese goods next week and more than double the rate in 2019.

The statement from the Ministry of Commerce didn’t note specific actions, though China has previously said it would respond with levies on $60 billion worth of U.S. goods. Such a move risks deepening the standoff even further, with President Donald Trump saying in a statement on Monday the U.S. will immediately pursue additional tariffs on about $267 billion of Chinese imports if Beijing hits back.

"The U.S. side insisted on imposing tariffs, which has brought new uncertainty to the bilateral negotiations," the commerce ministry statement said. "We hope that the U.S. side will recognize the negative consequences of such acts and take convincing measures to correct them in a timely manner."

The Trump administration is giving American businesses a chance to adjust and look for alternative supply chains by delaying an increase of the tariff to 25 percent on Jan. 1 for the $200 billion batch of Chinese goods, according to two senior administration officials who briefed reporters on Monday. The 10 percent tariff will take effect on Sept. 24.

“For months, we have urged China to change these unfair practices, and give fair and reciprocal treatment to American companies,” Trump said. “We have been very clear about the type of changes that need to be made, and we have given China every opportunity to treat us more fairly. But, so far, China has been unwilling to change its practices.”

740x-1.png

China will make life really shitty for American companies I would expect (inspections, delayed approvals, ...)

China will make life really shitty for American companies I would expect (inspections, delayed approvals, ...)

Yeap, and I kind of hope they try their hand at that.

As it considers its next move, Beijing will have to proceed carefully. Escalating nationalist sentiment and enlisting American corporations to do its bidding can be a double-edged sword. If American companies feel they are no longer welcome in China, or subject to the winds of political expediency, they have the option of pulling out of China and building their supply chains elsewhere.

American companies heading for the exits would be a significant setback to China’s economy. As the saying goes: If you’re aiming at your rival, make sure you don’t shoot yourself in the foot.

Smart move from Deutschland here, last month it blocked a Chinese takeover of power distributor 50Hertz as well as another for Leifeld Metal Spinning AG, a top producer of high-strength metals for the car, space and nuclear industries. It's time to resolve if not completely drop all US/EU issues.

Trump (CFIUS, really) has struck dead at least a dozen high tech acquisition attempts - mainly by the PRC - particularly semiconductor firms which is without doubt the most indispensable domestic manufacturing industry to America's economic and national security.

Following In US Footsteps, Germany Targets Chinese Investments

WASHINGTON -- Protectionist noise from Germany is growing louder, as Berlin plans to crack down on Chinese investments, by significantly lowering the threshold for intervening in takeovers.

Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government, like the Trump administration, is taking steps to expand its ability to block foreign deals deemed as threats to national security. Germany’s economy minister, Peter Altmaier, told the newspaper Die Welt that lowering the threshold was necessary in order to monitor “more acquisitions in sensitive sectors of the economy.”

Berlin can currently veto the sale of at least 25 percent of a German company’s equity to an investor outside of the European Union. The government now wants to reduce that threshold to 15 percent.

“We want to be able to take a much closer look at companies in the defense sector and in critical infrastructures, and certain other civilian technologies that are relevant to security, such as IT security,” Altmaier said.

“One core component of their strategy has been to go out to international markets and attempt to acquire enterprises or technologies, often by having state-owned or state-financed Chinese enterprises attempt to purchase these entities,” said Stephen Ezell, vice president at Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, a U.S. think tank.

“[They use] the veneer that these are market-based transactions, when in reality, in many cases, it is a state-led foreign investment that is looking to capture critical foreign enterprises, industries, or technologies.”

@snakedafunky

Last edited:
When I was a prom dress mogul an all american brand called Sherri Hill took a hard stance against China. Buy their products.

Yeap, and I kind of hope they try their hand at that.

As it considers its next move, Beijing will have to proceed carefully. Escalating nationalist sentiment and enlisting American corporations to do its bidding can be a double-edged sword. If American companies feel they are no longer welcome in China, or subject to the winds of political expediency, they have the option of pulling out of China and building their supply chains elsewhere.

American companies heading for the exits would be a significant setback to China’s economy. As the saying goes: If you’re aiming at your rival, make sure you don’t shoot yourself in the foot.

Smart move from Deutschland here, last month it blocked a Chinese takeover of power distributor 50Hertz as well as another for Leifeld Metal Spinning AG, a top producer of high-strength metals for the car, space and nuclear industries. It's time to resolve if not completely drop all US/EU issues.

Trump (CFIUS, really) has struck dead at least a dozen high tech acquisition attempts - mainly by the PRC - particularly semiconductor firms which is without doubt the most indispensable domestic manufacturing industry to America's economic and national security.

Following In US Footsteps, Germany Targets Chinese Investments

WASHINGTON -- Protectionist noise from Germany is growing louder, as Berlin plans to crack down on Chinese investments, by significantly lowering the threshold for intervening in takeovers.

Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government, like the Trump administration, is taking steps to expand its ability to block foreign deals deemed as threats to national security. Germany’s economy minister, Peter Altmaier, told the newspaper Die Welt that lowering the threshold was necessary in order to monitor “more acquisitions in sensitive sectors of the economy.”

Berlin can currently veto the sale of at least 25 percent of a German company’s equity to an investor outside of the European Union. The government now wants to reduce that threshold to 15 percent.

“We want to be able to take a much closer look at companies in the defense sector and in critical infrastructures, and certain other civilian technologies that are relevant to security, such as IT security,” Altmaier said.

“One core component of their strategy has been to go out to international markets and attempt to acquire enterprises or technologies, often by having state-owned or state-financed Chinese enterprises attempt to purchase these entities,” said Stephen Ezell, vice president at Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, a U.S. think tank.

“[They use] the veneer that these are market-based transactions, when in reality, in many cases, it is a state-led foreign investment that is looking to capture critical foreign enterprises, industries, or technologies.”

@snakedafunky

Sounds reasonable. I don't have an issue with Trump going after China. Its just the way he does that seems illogical.
There should be a US/EU alliance going after China in terms of IP theft, transfer of technology and copyright violations.
Those are the real issue IMO. But Trump just seems to put tariffs on products hoping that the Chinese will give in.
It might work but I don't think so because I think the Chinese just wait it out.

Chinese leadership is facing a rare backlash for its handling of the US trade dispute
REUTERS | August 9, 2018​
  • Some critics saying that an overly nationalistic Chinese stance may have hardened the US position.
  • President Xi Jinping still has a firm grip on power, but an unusual surge of criticism about economic policy and how the government has handled the trade war has revealed rare cracks in the ruling Communist Party.
  • There have been signs of a shift in China's messaging.
you try way too hard bro. post something funny, its sherdog. not a political forum

China's yuan currency slipped against the dollar on Tuesday after news of the US measures. It has weakened by about 6.0 percent since mid June, offsetting the 10 per cent tariff rate by a considerable margin.

Back