Law [Partisan Gerrymandering News] Florida appeals court reverses ruling on DeSantis’s congressional maps

Florida has a anti-gerrymandering amendment that was voted in a few years ago. The basic rules are.

1. May not favor or disfavor an incumbent or political party.
2. May not restrict the voting power of minorities or other groups. (so breaking up minority areas into multiple districts to dilute there voting power)
3. Must be contiguous.
4. Must be compact and as equal in population as possible.
5. Must use existing City, County, or other boarders when possible.

Now this is not perfect, but rules 3 and 4 really but a breaks on a lot of gerrymandered districts.
3 should do most of the work

3 is useless without the others, but at least you're making some progress.
Minorities by definition are he minority. Given they live together, how do you draw up a district that reflects that? Census data?Where I live counties will do the job. In la or ny I can see where that might not.

Minorities by definition are he minority. Given they live together, how do you draw up a district that reflects that? Census data?Where I live counties will do the job. In la or ny I can see where that might not.

That is the point. In the past minority area would be divided up and included into multiple districts, thus diluting there power. Other occasions multiple minority area have been made into large Gerrymandered districts to give them only one seat.

You live in Cincinnati?

That is the point. In the past minority area would be divided up and included into multiple districts, thus diluting there power. Other occasions multiple minority area have been made into large Gerrymandered districts to give them only one seat.
So the same criteria won't work in every state or region

No. Two exits South in Kentucky
Ok, if you don't mind, I'll use Cincinnati as an example anyway because it's pretty illustrative on on what the issue is.
Think of the general population of urban Cincinnati and what you think their voting preferences might be. The city would probably be represented by liberal politicians at the local level. Now look at the Ohio districts which determines where congressional representatives come from.
2011-20-districts.jpg

Notice how Cincinnati is carved up between districts 1, 2, and 8. Strange, right? Wouldn't it make sense to have the city be it's own district smaller, contiguous district instead of splitting it into 3 misshapen ones?

Ok, if you don't mind, I'll use Cincinnati as an example anyway because it's pretty illustrative on on what the issue is.
Think of the general population of urban Cincinnati and what you think their voting preferences might be. The city would probably be represented by liberal politicians at the local level. Now look at the Ohio districts which determines where congressional representatives come from.
2011-20-districts.jpg

Notice how Cincinnati is carved up between districts 1, 2, and 8. Strange, right? Wouldn't it make sense to have the city be it's own district smaller, contiguous district instead of splitting it into 3 misshapen ones?
Cincinnati is in Hamilton. There are two distinct areas in the city. I'd have to see how those were drawn and on what criteria. How do you know this isn't accurate? The part of Hamilton that touches clermont is fairly rural and clermont is heavily republican. Warren and Hamilton are more democratic

You're going to end up gerrymandering no matter what. You're changing who does it. There is no impartial way of doing it. Everyone has their own inclinations and biases.
Not everyone is a War Room poster. If you don't think people are capable of operating impartially, then let a computer program do it.
Ultimately, you may never get something perfect, but you can definitely get something better.

Not everyone is a War Room poster. If you don't think people are capable of operating impartially, then let a computer program do it.
Ultimately, you may never get something perfect, but you can definitely get something better.
I know people can't be impartial. Now what are you going to program into that computer

I know people can't be impartial. Now what are you going to program into that computer
if you think computer programs can't be impartial, or that there are ways to ensure impartiality, then this isn't going anywhere.
I've been very patient, but now you are either going to have to decide if you want to use your imagination or do some research to answer your questions, or if you be satisfied with your conclusion that this is a problem that cannot be improved.

if you think computer programs can't be impartial, or that there are ways to ensure impartiality, then this isn't going anywhere.
I've been very patient, but now you are either going to have to decide if you want to use your imagination or do some research to answer your questions, or if you be satisfied with your conclusion that this is a problem that cannot be improved.
I have a very different point but I'm not ready to make it yet. These panels of people aren't really going to do anything other than make people feel good. A computer might be able to do it. So what do you program into it

You're going to end up gerrymandering no matter what. You're changing who does it. There is no impartial way of doing it. Everyone has their own inclinations and biases.

No your not. Those rules make it much, much harder to gerrymander. Sure they are not perfect. If you want truly impartial the districts need to be computer drawn.

I have a very different point but I'm not ready to make it yet. These panels of people aren't really going to do anything other than make people feel good. A computer might be able to do it. So what do you program into it

These guidelines are a good start:

Florida has a anti-gerrymandering amendment that was voted in a few years ago. The basic rules are.

1. May not favor or disfavor an incumbent or political party.
2. May not restrict the voting power of minorities or other groups. (so breaking up minority areas into multiple districts to dilute there voting power)
3. Must be contiguous.
4. Must be compact and as equal in population as possible.
5. Must use existing City, County, or other boarders when possible.

Now this is not perfect, but rules 3 and 4 really but a breaks on a lot of gerrymandered districts.

Again, you might not get something perfect, but you can end up with something a lot better that can be improved over time.

These guidelines are a good start:

Again, you might not get something perfect, but you can end up with something a lot better that can be improved over time.
Whatever you do, you're going to have to redraw the lines often. That's the only fair way

Back