The UFC is getting silly with their promotion of double champs

That's like asking if P4P or GOAT discussions are silly.
Now what do you think?

View attachment 455317
Note that DC has two belts, presumably the HW and LHW straps. Note also that the UFC has already announced Jones - Gus II for six weeks after this event.

They don't seem to comprehend that if you go up (or down, for that matter) a weight class, that doesn't mean you're the champion of both divisions. It means you've changed weight class. First Conor, now Cormier. Neither of these men are going to fight at the lower weight again, so why the charade?

For all boxings faults, you will gemaerally see a champion relinquish their title before they move weight, as it's not feasible to put your body through the extremes of cutting to two different weights multiple times at elite level.

I can see the logic with Conor from a promotional standpoint, as he has so many casual fans that only watch him fight, they could well think he's still the two weight world champion. But DC? Incredible fighter, but a world apart from Conor in terms of selling power. It's mostly going to be your core audience watching this card, how dumb do they think the fans are?
Surprisingly well thought out

nonsense

explain this then

bdbc-ac-bcd-ee-belts-1961534938.jpg
Potentially, he could have bought the following to the bout;

WBA
WBO
WBC
IBF
The Ring

and whichever one he won in the night would have made six, as boxing associations generally award a new belt after each fight.

Also, I did say generally, it's not always the case.

Add to that there being a lot more weight classes in boxing, being champ of, for example, 126 and 130 isn't much of a difference in weight, so the feat is more achievable in boxing.

They promoting sherbro. 2 belts better then 1 they are trying to sell better and in the meantime allowing DC to get more of that double champ attention maybe he lands another sponsor.

Until Jones and Gus step in that cage then DC has that LHW strap.

some champs you take with a grain of salt, and some champs you give a pass because bias.

Carlos Condit only held the Interm ufc title but in my eyes carlos was a champion. dont matter if it was interm. Same gos for Carwin, Renan barao(before he was labeled undisputed) Even when Robert whittaker was Interm champ when GSP was champ in my eyes rob was the undisputed champ.

and some champs like bisping or conor i took with a grain of salt. not trying to bash conor he was no doubt champ at 145. but he skipped the line at LW so i excpected him to not be champ for to long and never thought he was the best at 155

long story short DC is my champ champ

nonsense

explain this then

bdbc-ac-bcd-ee-belts-1961534938.jpg

Since you asked -

those are WBC belts - and Mayweather has won that organizations title in 5 different divisions

Super Featherweight (130lbs)

Lightweight (135 lbs)

Junior Welterweight (140lbs)

Welterweight (147lbs)

And Super Welterweight (154lbs)

and the title furthest from the right - is an older model of the WBC belt (which explains the different shade when compared to other belts)

**judging from his ring attire, photo was taken after Mayweather beat Oscar De La Hoya to win De La Hoya's WBC Super Welter belt

LOL

DC has actually DEFENDED his belt at LHW, against Gus, and Rumble.

He's actually going to defend his HEAVYWEIGHT belt against a top contender in Black Beast (whether folks agree or not, he's still ranked) and possibly Brock or a rematch with Stipe.

Conor, as much as I enjoy his scraps, has NEVER defended EITHER belt.

No comparison between the two.
we all know you are a cormier fan, but you know ufc will scrap his belt on the NYE

Dc is the current champ of both division

It's not as though they let some loud mouth whiskey salesman pardade around with 2 belts despite not being a champ of any division
"Get Conor his (fake) belts" Dana white lol
I think Dana will allow anything to promote a fight these days. Surprised they haven't had Dana "throw a dolly" yet
Him embracing Conor after the brawl was hilarious

Since you asked -

those are WBC belts - and Mayweather has won that organizations title in 5 different divisions

Lightweight (135 lbs)

Welterweight (147lbs)

and the title furthest from the right - is an older model of the WBC belt (which explains the different shade when compared to other belts)

**judging from his ring attire, photo was taken after Mayweather beat Oscar De La Hoya to win De La Hoya's WBC Super Welter belt

yes, im fully aware of this, your explanation was the point I was trying to prove, thanks for that

my answer was to a comment along the lines of "the multiple belts Floyd would have had in the ring is the 4 governing bodies"

im well aware of why Floyd takes them all, the same reason why DC has both on that poster

Since you asked -

Lightweight (135 lbs)

Welterweight (147lbs)

I know haha, that's why I was able to find the pic because I knew exactly what I was looking for

was just trying to prove TS wrong (which I have only just realised is you hahahaha) showing that its not just a UFC thing to show current belts even if more than one division

In boxing whether you can hold two different weights' titles depends on the sanctioning body. I think the WBC allows it and WBO doesn't. Not sure about IBF and WBA.

Just a drop in the overall ocean of UFC promotional sillines. Have you ever listened to a Rogan prefight promotion? Historical, of all time, once in a lifetime, blah, blah...it's what they do. We just need to quit thinking there's ANYTHING objective about the UFC. It's a circus mentality.

yes, im fully aware of this, your explanation was the point I was trying to prove, thanks for that

my answer was to a comment along the lines of "the multiple belts Floyd would have had in the ring is the 4 governing bodies"

im well aware of why Floyd takes them all, the same reason why DC has both on that poster

k. Didn't know for sure, was just answering question to give clarity.

I think it's all the sanctioning bodies that are the bigger problem. Having FOUR recognized champions can really mucks things up.

I know haha, that's why I was able to find the pic because I knew exactly what I was looking for

was just trying to prove TS wrong (which I have only just realised is you hahahaha) showing that its not just a UFC thing to show current belts even if more than one division

yeah I troll my own topics (kidding), I mean given Cormier still will be the LHW champ by the time he fights Lewis - I don't see the big deal with marketing him as a duel weight champion. It's not false advertising. I was more offended when McGregor held his TWO belts at FW & LW and did nothing but sit on the sidelines and talk ish.

fair or not, being a champion is a marketing angle - Even Interim titles look at Condit (mentioned above) Ferguson winning his and more recently former Interim WW champ Colby Covington. It is what it is.

In boxing whether you can hold two different weights' titles depends on the sanctioning body. I think the WBC allows it and WBO doesn't. Not sure about IBF and WBA.

As long as the organizations are getting paid they'll probably be OK with it

shucks the WBA can have up to THREE champions (Super, Regular & Interim) in a single division. SMH

As long as the organizations are getting paid they'll probably be OK with it

shucks the WBA can have up to THREE champions (Super, Regular & Interim) in a single division. SMH

When it comes to holding titles from different weights and orgs, they each have their own rules and stick to it. They'll strip a guy for not fighting the org's respective mando, or if anyone fights for a belt that's not a highest-ranked WBA belt. So if there's a WBA super champ, you can't unify with the WBA regular belt otherwise you'll get stripped. So enforcing weight restriction, if they have one, is no different.

Q: “...so why the charade?”
A: because they are promoting.

You say it’s silly. I say it’s silly and it makes them money. My guess is we’re both right ;)

100% truth and accuracy was never their highest priority. You get this, right?

And before you counter with “well, if they want to be treated like a *real sport*...”, just don’t. Thanks.

<{anton}>
Really schooled em on this one.

Also TS Pretending like Gus vs Jones is a done deal, we've seen how many fights scrapped because of PED and injuries?

Note that DC has two belts, presumably the HW and LHW straps. Note also that the UFC has already announced Jones - Gus II for six weeks after this event.
It's not silly that DC has 2 belts in the promo.

Assuming we agree that Jon Jones should be dismissed because of doping - DC is currently the best guy at both LHW and HW, and he earned both belts.
He's also been so active that he's shown he could defend both belts, as long as he can make weight.

I think DC is a good example of what an active 2 weight champ could be.

The only thing silly about this is that the UFC wants to promote him as that, but at the same time they had zero qualms about stripping him.

Back