The UFC/Off-Topic Thread v7

I say abolish it completely. And while they're at it do the same for the HW and WMMA divisions too.

That would be something. What used to be MMA's marquee division is now more or less a wasteland.

That would be something. What used to be MMA's marquee division is now more or less a wasteland.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how uninteresting that division has become over the years. Back in the Pride/UFC days there were probably about a dozen guys fighting at that weight that could, on any given day, beat any of the other guys in that group. Or at least produce a bunch of A beats B, B beats C, C beats A scenarios. Nowadays the division is mostly one big pile of who gives a shit revolving around a guy who can't keep his shit together and may be done for now.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how uninteresting that division has become over the years. Back in the Pride/UFC days there were probably about a dozen guys fighting at that weight that could, on any given day, beat any of the other guys in that group. Or at least produce a bunch of A beats B, B beats C, C beats A scenarios. Nowadays the division is mostly one big pile of who gives a shit revolving around a guy who can't keep his shit together and may be done for now.

Especially with Rumble retiring. A top 4 of Jones, Cormier, Rumble, and Gustafsson a few years ago was pretty respectable, even if the talent fell off a cliff after that. Now, Cormier is near 40 and coming off a devastating KO loss, Jones is banned for a long time, Rumble is retired, and Gustafsson is barely active. Very little in the way of prospects outside of that Turkish guy, as well, and he has shown plenty of flaws. Wasteland.

Cormier should go back to heavyweight imo if he wants to be remembered as anything other than the guy that filled in during the fuck-up-Jones-era. No point staying at 205 when he won't get any credit as champ anyway, and it's possible he could beat someone like Stipe.

That dude must not be all that bright.

Speaking of, who's not so bright idea was it to have Victor friggin Ortiz do the rounds on all these sports talk shows?

That dude must not be all that bright.

You might just be on to something, here.

They need to sever ties and let another org deal with this clown. He seems to be a real POS, that cat. Too much baggage.

You might just be on to something, here.

They need to sever ties and let another org deal with this clown. He seems to be a real POS, that cat. Too much baggage.

I suspect that is what the UFC does with the guy, although he likely has a length suspension to serve first. But I would think Dana & Co cut ties with him exercising the morality clause in his contract after all the shit he's put them through the last few years.

I suspect that is what the UFC does with the guy, although he likely has a length suspension to serve first. But I would think Dana & Co cut ties with him exercising the morality clause in his contract after all the shit he's put them through the last few years.

I don't think the USADA suspension would be binding under different promotions outside the US (some countries would have commissions that would respect the suspension, but many wouldn't), and I doubt the UFC would want him to be making money for any other promotion (even if he's fighting under RIZIN in Japan).

I don't think the USADA suspension would be binding under different promotions outside the US (some countries would have commissions that would respect the suspension, but many wouldn't), and I doubt the UFC would want him to be making money for any other promotion (even if he's fighting under RIZIN in Japan).

Yeah, that's probably a really good point, Jay. The UFC may not want to deal with him anymore and would rather wash their hands of him. But like you say, they're probably not too anxious for him to sign with another overseas promotion either. It'll be interesting what they do with this regardless.

Didn't even think about that aspect. For sake of argument, he gets 4 years (doubtful). And he has 2 fights on his contract... the UFC would probably not let him fight in Rizin in 4 months, dodging USADA and the AC banning him from comp... He's more screwed than I even first thought... Most likely he finishes his suspension and then deals with weather or not UFC wants him... even if thats in 4 years... Especially as he has fucked them pretty hard multiple times.

Total clown that guy.

Didn't even think about that aspect. For sake of argument, he gets 4 years (doubtful). And he has 2 fights on his contract... the UFC would probably not let him fight in Rizin in 4 months, dodging USADA and the AC banning him from comp... He's more screwed than I even first thought... Most likely he finishes his suspension and then deals with weather or not UFC wants him... even if thats in 4 years... Especially as he has fucked them pretty hard multiple times.

Total clown that guy.

If it's any consolation for Jones, when he's done his suspension (which probably won't be the whole 4 years) the UFC will almost certainly take him back as he'll still likely be a much more capable draw than the majority of the roster (and, additionally, they'll have most of the leverage in negotiation meaning they won't have to pay him much).

I don't think Dana ever imagined this kind of headache when he first brought in USADA testing. It's actually pretty funny that fucking MMA and boxing of all sports has much more stringent drug testing than any of the much more famous team sports.

How can Dana call Jon Jones the goat in response to him pissing hot? Is he willfully ignoring the fact he is likely to have been taking more than protein shakes his entire career?

I don't remember Ben Johnson or Marion Jones getting such favourable comments from people when it was proved what they were up to.

How can Dana call Jon Jones the goat in response to him pissing hot? Is he willfully ignoring the fact he is likely to have been taking more than protein shakes his entire career?

I don't remember Ben Johnson or Marion Jones getting such favourable comments from people when it was proved what they were up to.
I bet the people making money off them did though. And that's Dana's position, he makes money off Jon Jones and must still envision the ability to do so.

I bet the people making money off them did though. And that's Dana's position, he makes money off Jon Jones and must still envision the ability to do so.
Money talks I guess, it would be nice if he called him for what he is and sacked the guy.

Borg dropped out of the MM fight. It now seems like the collective MMA community (well, maybe not, I'm just going by the idiots in the heavies) is widely condemning likely the best fighter in their sport who has had no controversies, stops a fair amount of elite opponents, and regularly defends his belt against the number one contender. What a brilliant fanbase. Anyway, the silver lining is that now I can give my full and undivided attention to the excellent card this weekend in boxing.

Back