The United States of Apathy

The Trump turnout across the Midwest was huge. That was his goal all along the campaign, don't need to flip anyone just get the usual couch sitters up and in the booth for him like they haven't since Reagan.

This was why I had him pegged as winning early on. He was filling stadiums. It's also why I think he will win in 2020 pretty easily. It doesn't matter how mad people in California and New York are, they already voted against him last time. It didn't matter. It's fucking refreshing to see an election where New York and LA didn't matter. The people there are so convinced they're the only ones that matter.

Chantal Hebert wrote a good article explaining why Trudeau has been the same (and at times even worse) as the old boss:

HÉBERT: Trudeau failing to surpass Harper's low bar

A stalled appointment process, a botched attempt at installing a member of the Liberal family in a post that requires total independence from the government, a unilateral bid to change the rules of the House of Commons. If Stephen Harper, and not Justin Trudeau, were running things on Parliament Hill, he would stand accused of institutional malevolence.

Speaking of parliamentary watchdogs, the information commissioner released her annual report earlier this month. Suzanne Legault found that, notwithstanding Trudeau's promise of greater transparency, this had actually declined since the Liberals came to power.

Trudeau promised to be more collegial in his dealing with the opposition parties. Yet no recent government has spent as much energy trying to unilaterally change the rules of the Commons. Based on a governing majority acquired with a minority of votes, the prime minister would dictate the terms of engagement under which he and the opposition parties are to interact.

One can only hope the Liberals will remember their self-serving rationale when their party is sitting in opposition, across from a prime minister who sets out to build on some of Trudeau's damaging precedents.
That doesn't look like it fits the description "many ways" to me. By that standard, I can list "many ways" that he has been good for the country. FWIW, I'm not fully behind Trudeau; I believe he is far from perfect. But there is a concerted campaign, literally, to make him look a lot worse than he is.

It appears there's something wrong with your reading comprehension, or you're one of those geniuses that pops into a thread, gets outraged over one comment because he has no understanding of the context even though it was in reply to a question, and then makes a dumb post whining about it.

Which is it?

If you're saying you were joking about the Russian propaganda thing then I apologize.

When was the last time we had 2 REALLY strong worthy candidates though? (this was the opposite of that) Who did the right have to get excited about when Obama was running? What shot did Bob Dole really have? Shit, I can barely recall who ran against Bush the second time.

You're right, the numbers may not look that bad when compared to other shitty numbers, but that's not much of an accomplishment. Part of it is actual apathy, part of it is that Americans are tired of uninspiring candidates, and part of it is that a lot of Americans do not feel like their vote counts because of the electoral college.

Maryland has a Republican governor, but Maryland hated Trump. I'm sure plenty of people just stayed home knowing that their vote made no difference whatsoever in Maryland.

My girlfriend spent 5 years living in Pennsylvania, and voted there twice. She said the vibe is completely different because it's a swing state and everybody knows how important their vote is.

If you're saying you were joking about the Russian propaganda thing then I apologize.
No, I wasn't saying I was joking. How about just reading the posts that come before so you understand what the fuck is being discussed or save your outrage?

You're right, the numbers may not look that bad when compared to other shitty numbers, but that's not much of an accomplishment. Part of it is actual apathy, part of it is that Americans are tired of uninspiring candidates, and part of it is that a lot of Americans do not feel like their vote counts because of the electoral college.

Maryland has a Republican governor, but Maryland hated Trump. I'm sure plenty of people just stayed home knowing that their vote made no difference whatsoever in Maryland.
People only have issue with the electoral college when their guy doesn't win.

I think this is all true, but it angers me. People need to grow the fuck up! This is not a high school popularity contest and if you want things to change this is one of the avenues people have (unless they want to become activists, but they'll still need to vote).

People only have issue with the electoral college when their guy doesn't win.

They only have a problem with it existing when their guy doesn't win.

But it always effects voter turn out. Read the last paragraph I just added to my last post.

No, I wasn't saying I was joking. How about just reading the posts that come before so you understand what the fuck is being discussed or save your outrage?

Stop projecting. I'm not outraged. I think it's hilarious that people actually believe the Russians needed to socially engineer Americans to stay home when our own MSM was telling us for months that Trump couldn't win.

Kind of sounds to me like his response was a reasonable one to your quote. You mentioned the Russian propaganda, he mentioned CNN propaganda.

Stop projecting. I'm not outraged. I think it's hilarious that people actually believe the Russians needed to socially engineer Americans to stay home when our own MSM was telling us for months that Trump couldn't win.
I think you're right. CNN gave democratic voters no reason to worry. This was going to be a worse beatdown than Clinton vs Dole according to them.

My girlfriend spent 5 years living in Pennsylvania, and voted there twice. She said the vibe is completely different because it's a swing state and everybody knows how important their vote is.

We have excellent voter turnout here in Maine and our votes mean almost nothing.

So why the hell do you guys keep using this retarded electoral system?

As far as my eyes can tell, New Mexico had absolutely no counties with a majority voting for either candidate lol

Can't tell if they're the only ones, or if maybe a smaller state on the east coast has that happen as well

The Trump turnout across the Midwest was huge. That was his goal all along the campaign, don't need to flip anyone just get the usual couch sitters up and in the booth for him like they haven't since Reagan

I'm assuming the blue counties are major cities? I'm actually surprised as I thought those places would have a lower % of turnout. Or are those the subburbs outside the city proper? That would make more sense

Get your eyes checked, bud. Or maybe work on your Geography.

You're mixing up New Mexico with Arizona.

Kind of sounds to me like his response was a reasonable one to your quote. You mentioned the Russian propaganda, he mentioned CNN propaganda.
It was part of a continuing discussion. His response was an out of context "whataboutism".

I think you're right. CNN gave democratic voters no reason to worry. This was going to be a worse beatdown than Clinton vs Dole according to them.
There is evidence of lots of different factors. The degree to which each played a part is unknown by you, him, or me. I made no claim as to the effectiveness of the Russian campaign to discourage people from voting, only that it is a factual statement that they ran such a campaign, although it seems overly easy to dismiss by those who only care about the result, not the means by which it was achieved.

I agree. I voted for Trump.

That'll tell em.

But seriously, of course everybody should go cast their vote even if they know it will not effect the election. But it's also easy to understand how some people have lost their motivation to vote when they live in a state where the outcome is inevitable either way.

Back