The Unofficial Bodyweight Training Thread.

I believe what he ment was that you won't gain strength from doing circuits.

Fenderson, you can check beastskills.com for some BW progressions. Also search youtube and Simon Boulter posted a lot of progression vids on this thread. Also check this http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/faq and this http://www.fitness666.com/p/exercise-progressions.html

This is perfect, your a champ. Yeah I basically wanted exactly what you posted, circuit wasnt the right word. Apologies.

I've been trying diamond pushups but it the pressure being put on the outer part of my hands is to unbearable. Am I doing something wrong or am I a wimp?

Try holding your elbows close to your body, when you flare your elbows to the sides then it becomes really painful for me too.

I've been trying diamond pushups but it the pressure being put on the outer part of my hands is to unbearable. Am I doing something wrong or am I a wimp?

Honestly, diamond push-ups are kind of a gimmick.

You're really just doing a push-up in a biomechanically inferior (ie: injury prone) position. Just do normal width (or slightly narrower grip)push-ups while keeping your elbows tight to your body.

Try holding your elbows close to your body, when you flare your elbows to the sides then it becomes really painful for me too.

I tried to make sure I kept them tight but nothing helped.

Honestly, diamond push-ups are kind of a gimmick.

You're really just doing a push-up in a biomechanically inferior (ie: injury prone) position. Just do normal width (or slightly narrower grip)push-ups while keeping your elbows tight to your body.

Will do. After a couple attempted sets, I just moved my hands closer and did them.

Anyone here able to do the dragon flag? I've been training for it for over half a year now and can't do it. These are the two progressions I tried and failed with:

As of late last year I was able to do 8 reps of the hanging leg raise with my legs straight, knees locked, bringing my toes to the bar. I felt like I wanted to progress to something more difficult, the dragon flag. The first method of progression I used was in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf0Skpkag50). I did the dragon flag with with one leg straight out and the other leg tucked towards my chest. I could only do 1 rep my first time. It was brutally tough. I did that until I could do 3 sets of 8 as suggested in the video. Next level of progression was with the legs straddled. I couldn't do one rep. I want back to doing it with one leg tucked and worked my way up to 3 sets of 12. Then I tried it again with my legs straddled and couldn't do one rep. I'd estimate this took about 5 to 6 months, working out once a week. I decided to try something else.

I came up with my own progression. I'd start out with one leg out and the other leg with my ankle aligned with the knee of my other leg (one leg out, one leg half out). Once I could do it for 5 reps, I brought the tucked leg down to between the knee and ankle of my other leg until I could do 5 reps, then I brought the tucked leg down to the ankle of my other leg (basically 90% of the way to the full dragon flag). My first attempt I could do 1 rep. Second attempt 1 rep. Third attempt, none. Fourth attempt none. I tried going back to the tucked leg between the knee and ankle and couldn't do one rep. I lost strength.

Not sure what to try now. I'm thinking of keeping both legs fully extended and just going down as far as I can until I can do the full ROM. Anyone here able to do the dragon flag? What progression method did you use? Can you give me any pointers?

Last edited:
I was thinking today that since Boulter's book came out I've reduced the only exercises I use my Olympic bar for is squatting. FWIW I haven't been this challenged working out in years.

Long story but I can't get to the gym anymore(time issues) and my wife doesn't want weights "piling up in the house"........I would like to get a general template for a bw routine.....it needs to be fairly difficult(bench-295/squat-405/dead-550/clean n press-225/ bw-165-170) and I have about an hour daily to dedicate to it
I have a pullup/dip station....dunno where to start

*already did the google search and most of the templates I've seen are really REALLY easy..........help?

*EDIT*- I've already decided on weighted dips/pullups for upper body push/pull, what I'm having difficulty figuring out is lower body exercises that'll provide enough stimulus( pistols.....for some gawdawful reason I can't do...balance is 'ish dunno if its a flexability or form issue)....anything else?
**Would prefer to stay in 20-25 set range

Last edited:
Lunges/sprints/vertical - horizontal jumps. There's not much you can do for your legs with BW exercises. Pistols are the hardest, but that's mostly because of flexibility issues for some people + the hardest part is balance.

I do BW or BW+ added weight everything but legs and shoulders. Still have to load up a bar. But I do have a 150lb, 50 and 40lb weight vests plus 120lbs in chains. Load up on that (not all of it), put on some knee pads and I do walking lunges around the house till I can't take wearing all the weight anymore. That leaves me wrecked for a couple days. Shoulders I do either the swiss bar OHP or odd objects like homemade sandbags or landmines with my prowler.

I like going to the park with my kids. There is only one park near me that has adult size monkey bars and parallel dipping bars (the long kind). So when I go there I do the uneven dips and all the inverted row and pull up variations like really wide grip. I try doing things like muscle ups that I can't do at home because of the basement ceiling. Only running the monkey bars once in a while really makes my back sore for a couple of days too.

Last edited:
Heavy back squats and barbell rear foot elevated split squats are my favourite way to strengthen the legs, but there are quite a few advanced bodyweight exercises that will effectively build strength in the lower body.
I find that the skater squat with both hands grabbing the rear foot to be far more challenging than the pistol squat personally.

[YT]mIcgsiiv6ME[/YT]

Thought I'd bump this thread as I have a few questions.

Background, I'd been not lifting for probably a couple of years with sequential injuries and scheduling conflicts. I kept training BJJ consistently, 4-5 times a week. Recently a low back pain issue (flexibility issues, letting myself get too stacked, poor overall posture) caused me to have to take serious time off training. Even just basic technical reps would leave me hobbling to the car after class and for a few days after.
This back pain corresponded with a dramatic increase in volume (7x/week BJJ + restarting SS).

Cue the bodyweight training. Squats and deadlifts were out of the question. I could hardly pull 95# off the floor without reeling pain. All I could manage to do pain free were pullups and pushups, and so that's what I did.

Got bored of those and started playing with other variations, and started playing around with levers and hand balancing. Got up to a minute with the crow pose(?) as I'd read that was a good progression to a handstand, and more recently got onto a more proper handstand progression. Facing the wall for support I can maintain the hand stand for 1 minute, so my understanding now is that I should begin to practice the kick up facing out from the wall.

Front lever, I can hold the tucked front lever for 2x 30 seconds.
Back lever I cannot even really get any level of yet. I have been working on the skin the cat movement instead. I can get about 5 clean, slow reps before my grip wears out.

Working more recently on the L-sit as well. Held a tucked L-sit on some old homemade paralettes I had lying around for a minute. I was shaking like a leaf after that minute, though it was at the end of the rest of the skill work I've described.

So some troubles/questions I have;

When in the hand stand, are you meant to push away from the floor, or should you also be packing the shoulders here as well.

When looking to increase my duration on the tucked front lever, if I increase my first set to say 35 seconds, should I just hold for the remaining 25, or should I just go to failure anyway.

Which brings up the next piece about volume. How often should I be doing these holds? Can I get away with daily, or should I space them out like any other lift.

In the L-sit, I find that extending my legs I feel the most incredible intensity in my quads more than anywhere. I have terribly inflexible hamstrings, so I know I'm going to need to improve that just to get to a proper L-sit anyway. Not really a question I guess.

One funny thing. I sprained my A-C joint a loooong time ago. It hasn;'t given me any grief for a long time, but now that I am opening up my shoulders again and improving my posture, I feel that same pain, like it never actually resolved, it just got hidden in poor posture. I'm having this assessed professionally, so no need for hissy fits. I was just wondering if anyone else ever experienced set backs or old injuries reappearing when actually improving posture or flexibility.

/ramblingpost

Thanks guys. Oh yeah, I know I didn't mention anything for legs. I have been having good luck with no pain when doing front squats, so I have been doing those for my lower body work.

Long story but I can't get to the gym anymore(time issues) and my wife doesn't want weights "piling up in the house"........I would like to get a general template for a bw routine.....it needs to be fairly difficult(bench-295/squat-405/dead-550/clean n press-225/ bw-165-170) and I have about an hour daily to dedicate to it

*already did the google search and most of the templates I've seen are really REALLY easy..........help?

*EDIT*- I've already decided on weighted dips/pullups for upper body push/pull, what I'm having difficulty figuring out is lower body exercises that'll provide enough stimulus( pistols.....for some gawdawful reason I can't do...balance is 'ish dunno if its a flexability or form issue)....anything else?

Why don't you get rid of the pull up and dip machine and get a power rack? All the weights and a bench can be stored inside it, and won't take up a lot of space.

If you try pistols onto a box (or low chair or stairs), you'll be able to do them. For many people the limiting factor is the flexibility/balance part of the lift, which can easily be overcome with the use of box pistols. There's also value in exploding out of the dead stop position.
Then I'd reccomend Bulgarian split squats. It's really easy to add resistance to those without requiring a ton of weight. If you're over 200lbs, unilateral leg work can definitely get the job done (especially if combined with explosive work like sprints or squat jumps etc.)
Then I'd reccomend an adjustable resistance band set (Lifeline or Bodylastics go up to 300lbs) to fill in the gaps. Basically anything that you can do with dumbells or a cable machine, you can do with a high-grade band set. I don't just mean high rep stuff either, but maximal strength training. You can easily max out on OHP with good bands. The acceleration required through the whole movement can be extremely beneficial to those who've only trained with free-weights.

This template might be of interest to you...you can sub in your own exercises and just use the programming:

http://www.tacticalbarbell.com/uncategorized/bodyweight-training-pt-ii/

Thought I'd bump this thread as I have a few questions.

Background, I'd been not lifting for probably a couple of years with sequential injuries and scheduling conflicts. I kept training BJJ consistently, 4-5 times a week. Recently a low back pain issue (flexibility issues, letting myself get too stacked, poor overall posture) caused me to have to take serious time off training. Even just basic technical reps would leave me hobbling to the car after class and for a few days after.
This back pain corresponded with a dramatic increase in volume (7x/week BJJ + restarting SS).

Cue the bodyweight training. Squats and deadlifts were out of the question. I could hardly pull 95# off the floor without reeling pain. All I could manage to do pain free were pullups and pushups, and so that's what I did.

Got bored of those and started playing with other variations, and started playing around with levers and hand balancing. Got up to a minute with the crow pose(?) as I'd read that was a good progression to a handstand, and more recently got onto a more proper handstand progression. Facing the wall for support I can maintain the hand stand for 1 minute, so my understanding now is that I should begin to practice the kick up facing out from the wall.

Front lever, I can hold the tucked front lever for 2x 30 seconds.
Back lever I cannot even really get any level of yet. I have been working on the skin the cat movement instead. I can get about 5 clean, slow reps before my grip wears out.

Working more recently on the L-sit as well. Held a tucked L-sit on some old homemade paralettes I had lying around for a minute. I was shaking like a leaf after that minute, though it was at the end of the rest of the skill work I've described.

So some troubles/questions I have;

When in the hand stand, are you meant to push away from the floor, or should you also be packing the shoulders here as well.

When looking to increase my duration on the tucked front lever, if I increase my first set to say 35 seconds, should I just hold for the remaining 25, or should I just go to failure anyway.

Which brings up the next piece about volume. How often should I be doing these holds? Can I get away with daily, or should I space them out like any other lift.

In the L-sit, I find that extending my legs I feel the most incredible intensity in my quads more than anywhere. I have terribly inflexible hamstrings, so I know I'm going to need to improve that just to get to a proper L-sit anyway. Not really a question I guess.

One funny thing. I sprained my A-C joint a loooong time ago. It hasn;'t given me any grief for a long time, but now that I am opening up my shoulders again and improving my posture, I feel that same pain, like it never actually resolved, it just got hidden in poor posture. I'm having this assessed professionally, so no need for hissy fits. I was just wondering if anyone else ever experienced set backs or old injuries reappearing when actually improving posture or flexibility.

/ramblingpost

Thanks guys. Oh yeah, I know I didn't mention anything for legs. I have been having good luck with no pain when doing front squats, so I have been doing those for my lower body work.

http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials/

Back