The War On Asian-American Students' Academic Success: New York to "Diversify" Elite High Schools

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Arkain2K, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Roaming East

Roaming East Merchant of Death Yellow Card

you're showing your age. I dont believe in the 2400 scale either. Pandering to snowflakes. We had 1600 and we LIKED it dammit!

Arkain2K and panamaican like this.
  2. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

I can't remember what my gen had... I just know I scored WAY better on my ACT but am on the west coast so schools barely look at the ACT score if you had both that and the SAT

3. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I've found that they are included in POC except when someone is using them as a wedge against the other group. This lawsuit being a prime example, to me. It's not being brought by Asians. It's being brought by a white gentleman who wants to change the overall college admissions process and he's leveraging Asian Americans against black Americans to do it (he also brought the U. of Texas lawsuit that he lost).

In my experience, the Asian discrimination groups work hand in hand with the other ethnic minority discrimination groups. But my experience is distinctly legal in origin.

I suppose the more interesting question is - where do Asians want to be? They're not going to be rolled into the white category, do they want to be in the POC category or do they want to distance themselves from that appellation and everything that comes with it?

Higus likes this.
  4. Gregolian

As an Asian, or half, the only real answer I have is I would like the shit that Asians went through to be actually acknowledged. I realize blacks were royally fucked with and still are but Asians were essentially slave labor to build the railroads, the Japanese internment camps had families that owned property seized from them when they were sent to the camps never returned or paid out for it, and places like Seattle, which is lulzy, had laws on the books well into the 70s dictating where Asians could reside which is why what's considered our version of Chinatown, the International District, is so fucking big and in the shittiest oldest part of the city.

Arkain2K likes this.
  5. Roaming East

Roaming East Merchant of Death Yellow Card

i get it. I have probably 4 or 5 cousins that can and do pass for white, and my own daughter has blue eyes and strawberry blonde hair and will DEFINITELY pass for white. Being creole has that effect though, you get some kids that pop out different enough for the dad to sweat a bit lol.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PassFail
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButNotTooBlack

6. Gregolian

I've always been in that goofy spot with a full blown Japanese mother but Eastern European mix for a dad.

His Romanian and Czech grandparents were over 6 feet so I was 6'3" and over 300lbs going into high school and everyone thought I was Mexican, Native, or an Islander so I get it.

Thepaintbucket and Roaming East like this.
  7. panamaican

Not to minimize anything but I think the Japanese did get reparations for the internment camps and it was extended to the descendants of those who passed away before it was collected. 1988.

I find the Asian American situation interesting in that they have a very strong internal community, appear (emphasis on "appear" because I don't actually know) to lean towards seeking majority approval and distancing themselves from the other minority populations in certain circumstances. Yet there is an awareness that the majority doesn't actually treat them as equals either. How the overall community balances that is interesting to observe since they don't throw their hat in fully with either group (although they predominantly vote Democrat) but are also less than 7% of the population so they lack the numbers to push their own agenda. I suppsoe the disparity within the Asian community is a large driver of that coupled with the fact that they are far more immigrant than native born (90% immigrant). For comparison's sake, Hispanics are only ~40% immigrant, 60% native. Blacks and Whites are both <10% immigrant and 90%+ native born.

As the Asian population becomes more native born in origin, I wonder how these things will shift.

8. IIIIIIII

IIIIIIII Titanium Belt

honestly, that describes me a bit. i'm not the smartest guy around, but i ended up acing both of my interviews just before graduating college. our recruit told me that i was the #1 selection for both employers who interviewed our class. i'm a naturally outgoing and gregarious guy. normally in most jobs, they train you in the way they want you to perform, so getting along with others, and fitting in is usually a huge part in being hired.

9. AznTrojan

AznTrojan Silver Belt

asians are gonna take over the ID again.. my colleagues and i are gonna gentrify the shit out of it.. starting with the koda condos.. :)

10. nhbbear

nhbbear Duty Belt

On the wall, pissing off the edge of the world
    This is a good point, and I am glad that you are still black, something Michael Jackson could not say at the end.

While I think it is somewhat unfair because the Asian students are very focused and work extremely hard, you have an army of the highest gpa, hardest classes, piano playing clones that have very similar attributes, so when admissions sees something different, they jump on it. But I get the anger and frustration that would come with all that hard work, perfect gpa, perfect sat scores-only to be beat out by someone with a 3.0 gpa because they are not one of the Asian clones. I mean, you all have the same perfect scores, so to change things up, they will only accept a few of these perfect students and go with someone a little differen, even if there chances of the highest level of success are greatly reduced.

But the damn internal and external pressure on these Asian kids to excel, only to come up short because there are too many perfect students just like them has to suck the big one. I guess I was lucky to be a mediocre student that was a legacy at Washington and Jefferson.

11. Hog-train

Hog-train Brown Belt

You're analysis is flawed yourself because you are making the (false) assumption that the Asian students' extracurriculars are different. You are making the assumption that all the Asians students have are instruments. You're basically being biased - "oh the Asian student? He must be a math geek that plays violin or cello."

But I saw some of the Asians students extras and not all of them fit that mold.

12. Hog-train

Hog-train Brown Belt

I know this. Most Asians still support Affirmative action - despite the fact that it hurts them. I'm Korean-American.

I support what AA's goals are -just not how it is applied. It's trying to solve a problem that needs to be addressed. However, it is a flawed solution but there is no better alternative at the moment.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  13. superpunch

superpunch Red Belt

14. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

Thread is well over 1k posts. Time for a V2.

15. AznTrojan

AznTrojan Silver Belt

sheeit.. i don't know any asians that are in favor of AA

16. panamaican

Actually, I didn't say anything about the Asian kids specific extracurriculars. You commented that Asian kids have extracurriculars too - with the implication that I had said the Asian didn't have ANY extracurriculars. That wasn't what I said so I explained it in greater detail. Part of how you end up with lower academic scores in students is because they have unusual or rare extracurriculars and that raises their value. Harvard still has to field a football team, basketball team, soccer team, gymnastics squad, golf team, tennis squad, track and field group, theater interests, alongside the math, chess, computer, robotics, etc. clubs. So, pointing to things are relevant to the 2nd group, like SAT scores, is problematic if someone is ignoring the school's needs for the 1st group.

I used instruments as an example of an extracurricular, not as a fact about Asian specific extracurriculars. Lots of people play instruments - they don't all play the same instrument. I, for example, played piano and when I got to college I was surprised how many other kids had also played piano - it wasn't as unique or interesting as I'd thought it would be. My niece plays the violin - another over done instrument. We're not Asian. Would you have felt better if I'd used the tambourine and maracas?

Of course, you should probably question why you're making these raced based categorizations instead of nitpicking the instruments in a general example? Moving on.

These are liberal arts colleges, not technical ones. They are not interested in providing purely the best math/science scoring outcomes - they are interested in providing a fully rounded liberal arts education to kids who have interests in that broad range of liberal arts interests. Put another way, they need students interested in majoring in English, theater, philosophy, art history and such. People cannot ignore those needs and limit the conversation to SAT scores because SAT scores are just a part of what schools are looking for.

Roaming East likes this.
  17. Bacco

Bacco Black Belt

My 2cents countries should prize minorities that integrate better

18. Goonerview

Goonerview Gold Belt

If most Asians are happy being discriminated against, then why do we have this thread? What's the problem?

19. alanb

alanb Brown Belt

IN Hawaii people assume I am Hawaiian because I am a pretty big guy and half asian. In the mainland it is a mixed bag

20. Hog-train

Hog-train Brown Belt

Because AA is trying to solve something that should be addressed. But the current system is discriminatory and simply unfair.