Law Affirmative Action Abolished: U.S Supreme Court Outlaws Racial Discrimination In College Admissions.

Well chain your kid to a comp from age 4, put such large amounts of stress on them to succeed that if they dont live up to your standards they might commit suicide. Put them in school for 8hrs a day and 12 months a year. Give up all social life and forget about all physical activity. Dont go out and party with friends, no sex until 30. Grow up with no ability to relate to anyone on any normal social level. Its almost like forcing someone into being a savant. Sure if you put all your life into grades and absolutely nothing else you will score higher than others. Is that the kind of society we are trying to achieve ? Are we trying to raise a bunch of grey aliens ? I am glad we in America dont accept that as the only measure of success. I am glad we place some importance on diversity of talents and abilities and that we are extremely well rounded. Who the fuck wants to be a homogeneous group of pasty little weakling socially handicapped introverts who kill themselves if they get a B ?
Shame on any Americans in this thread who are saying things like "well if they work harder..." Fuck that. Take a look at typical asian society and the kind of people that are created with this type of thinking. Would we want our society to become more like theirs ? The American approach of diversity in education and the importance of being well rounded creates a much better society.

I would much rather live in South Korea than any city in the U.S. In general, Koreans are far less obnoxious, arrogant and violent while being far more respectful, humble and considerate of others compared to North Americans. I would say many Asians are far easier to be friends with than most people in North America. It should also be pointed out that the majority of Koreans are not overweight. Certainly, Korea is not perfect, but it is far from the socially dysfunctional dystopia you are making East Asian people out to be.

Also, what is so important about partying that young people must be doing it? There is far too much emphasis on fun and entertainment in Western Culture. As Neil Postman would say, we are amusing ourselves to death.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would much rather live in South Korea than any city in the U.S. In general, Koreans are far less obnoxious, arrogant and violent while being far more respectful, humble and considerate of others compared to North Americans. I would say many Asians are far easier to be friends with than most people in North America. It should also be pointed out that the majority of Koreans are not overweight. Certainly, Korea is not perfect, but it is far from the socially dysfunctional dystopia you are making East Asian people out to be.

Also, what is so important about partying that young people must be doing it? There is far too much emphasis on fun and entertainment in Western Culture. As Neil Postman would say, we are amusing ourselves to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

Give me western culture anytime of the day.

I am not disagreeing that certain aspects of East Asian culture need to change. There is a lot of stress and pressure on the people living in those countries. In my experience, the people of Korea are far warmer and easier to get along with on average than the people in North America. I do not see the same amount of obnoxious attitude in Korea that I see in North America. There is a reason the US is referred to as the land of the inflated ego.

I think that much of East Asian culture is a reaction to centuries of Western Imperialism. China does not want to become strong because it wants to attack anyone. It wants to be strong because it does not want the West to be able to force its people to take opium. Vietnam spent hundreds of years under French rule. South Vietnam was a puppet government of the United States. The Party in Vietnam was established by President Ho out of a desire to make Vietnam free. Even the Koreas have been influenced by our intervention. I'd argue the only reason we have a troop presence there is not to protect South Korea but to ensure the two Koreas do not turn into one State that would further ensure Asian independence. Ask yourselves do these cultures embrace hard work over pleasure simply to be the "best" or are these a people trying to ensure their countries will not be enslaved again.

I know a lot of east asians from my studies and it seems to be more about doing well on tests than actually trying to learn something. The a students may have better grades than me, but from working with them on different projects i can tell you they don't perform better than the average B/C student.
there seems to be a lack of innovation not only from east asians but also indians

lol, no shit. Everyone in Asia wants to be friends with the white guy.

Meanwhile, in New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio and the NAACP want to reduce the role the competitive exam plays in admissions for the city’s eight selective high schools in favor of a “holistic” approach. That means robbing poor, largely immigrant and first-generation kids — nearly half the students get subsidized school lunches — of the chance to study hard and compete for a world-class education.

As Dennis Saffran explains in “The Plot Against Merit,” some Asian-American eighth-graders practice for two years for the test, while their parents toil in laundromats and restaurants to pay for exam-prep classes.

Asians get into the Bronx HS of Science, Brooklyn Tech, etc because their competition is mostly poor welfare blacks, illegal hispanic immigrants, and some poor leftover Irish, Italians, and Poles. I say leftover because all the successful whites moved to the burbs a long time ago.

So the academic competition in the NY hood is on the same level between the poor first-gen Asian immigrants on subsidized school lunches, poor welfare blacks, poor illegal hispanics immigrants, and poor leftover Whites. What's your point?

Again, we're back to parenting: I'm sure all parents in the hoods work their ass off to provide for their family, but why are the Asian parents the only one in those groups who found the time to made sure their children do well in school so they could escape poverty through a proper education?

And these asians are only good at the academics. None are standouts in athletics. None of them will make the hockey team at Canterbury or Deerfield. Plus the way academics is nowadays is memorization. People really vastly overestimate the asian.

This is a non-issue, since there aren't many Asian students who actually wants to play hockey at Canterbury or Deerfield.

And we ARE talking about school and education here, particularly as a vehicle to get the hell out of the hoodz.

But since you want to talk about hobbies (for some strange reasons), I think most Asian kids in High School would rather be playing StarCraft, COD, and Fallout with their friends rather than hockey, to be honest. Something they're probably still be doing years later in their Silicon Valley offices.

Last edited:

I am not disagreeing that certain aspects of East Asian culture need to change. There is a lot of stress and pressure on the people living in those countries. In my experience, the people of Korea are far warmer and easier to get along with on average than the people in North America. I do not see the same amount of obnoxious attitude in Korea that I see in North America. There is a reason the US is referred to as the land of the inflated ego.

Actually my experience with Koreans specifically is what influenced my post. Ill take living in America anyday. And i think if youre really going to be honest, wouldnt you also ? Would you really rather live with all Koreans rather than all American citizens ? Asians are far easier to be friends with than Americans ? I mean thats an opinion that will vary, but i would think that isnt true most of the time just because of the cultural and social differences. How often do you see groups of asians in our society grouping together and not really socializing with most others, just themselves ? Pretty often.
But getting back to my original point i still say that placing such crushing stress on education is detrimental to a well rounded society and in no way do i think America should adopt the asian way. Im glad that we are making adjustments to our education system to avoid this.

Well chain your kid to a comp from age 4, put such large amounts of stress on them to succeed that if they dont live up to your standards they might commit suicide. Put them in school for 8hrs a day and 12 months a year. Give up all social life and forget about all physical activity. Dont go out and party with friends, no sex until 30. Grow up with no ability to relate to anyone on any normal social level. Its almost like forcing someone into being a savant. Sure if you put all your life into grades and absolutely nothing else you will score higher than others. Is that the kind of society we are trying to achieve ? Are we trying to raise a bunch of grey aliens ? I am glad we in America dont accept that as the only measure of success. I am glad we place some importance on diversity of talents and abilities and that we are extremely well rounded. Who the fuck wants to be a homogeneous group of pasty little weakling socially handicapped introverts who kill themselves if they get a B ?
Shame on any Americans in this thread who are saying things like "well if they work harder..." Fuck that. Take a look at typical asian society and the kind of people that are created with this type of thinking. Would we want our society to become more like theirs ? The American approach of diversity in education and the importance of being well rounded creates a much better society.

This is the conclusion of capitalism. Unless we get off the planet, or develop robots to do all our work and then distribute wealth in a new way not based on productivity. It's nice to say we shouldn't work hard, but if someone else does, they win and you're left behind. So everyone gets sucked into working like a bitch.

I would also point out that the numbers of Asians in the prison-system, jails, and group-homes are almost non-existent.

It's almost like being a good parent will allow your child to succeed and stay out of trouble.

Better put a stop to this in the name of diversity.

So the academic competition in the NY hood is on the same level between the poor first-gen Asian immigrants on subsidized school lunches, poor welfare blacks, poor illegal hispanics immigrants, and poor leftover Whites. What's your point? Again, it comes down to parenting: why are the Asian parents the only one in those groups who made sure their children do well in school and escape from poverty through a proper education?

This is a non-issue, since there aren't many Asian students who actually wants to play hockey at Canterbury or Deerfield.
Actually it isnt a non issue at all. This is why we in America would not benefit from adopting the asian way of education. What if we all started to think like that in America ? "Ehh no one wants to play sports anyway" Who cares about being able to socialize with others on a normal level ?" "All that really matters is getting the highest grade"
Just look at asian societies and see the effect of that way of thinking. Its like in MMA,they are using the one trick pony approach while Americans are well rounded complete fighters. Its a very one dimensional way of thinking and produces a very homogeneous non diverse society. Getting the highest grades is not the greatest path to success.

Actually my experience with Koreans specifically is what influenced my post. Ill take living in America anyday. And i think if youre really going to be honest, wouldnt you also ? Would you really rather live with all Koreans rather than all American citizens ? Asians are far easier to be friends with than Americans ? I mean thats an opinion that will vary, but i would think that isnt true most of the time just because of the cultural and social differences. How often do you see groups of asians in our society grouping together and not really socializing with most others, just themselves ? Pretty often.
But getting back to my original point i still say that placing such crushing stress on education is detrimental to a well rounded society and in no way do i think America should adopt the asian way. Im glad that we are making adjustments to our education system to avoid this.

I agree that we should not be adopting the East Asian educational system where children spend ridiculous amounts of hours studying to pass exams. It is far too inefficient for the amount of hours the students put in.

Though, many North American parents can learn a few things when it comes to Asian parents encouraging a good attitude and work ethic in their children. A balance between the East Asian and Western Culture would be ideal. It seems like East Asia takes things too far, while Western parents have become too passive in raising their children.

I would also point out that the numbers of Asians in the prison-system, jails, and group-homes are almost non-existent.

It's almost like being a good parent will allow your child to succeed and stay out of trouble.

No one is against American parents being closely involved in their kids education, however there are degrees ya know. Does the end always justify the means ? Sure if i chain my kid up in his room for 18 yrs and only give him access to educational materials he will be very smart and probably never go to jail. Does that mean what i did was good for him ? Or society ?

The definition of education may be different for hispanics and asians. Hispanics are looking for education, while asians are looking to be the best.

And i think you are the one that its bringing smarter than them, everyone on the pro-asian crew simply states that they study harder... And they do.

That's not what I was being asked about. I was being asked if Asian countries valued education more than someplace like Mexico. There's nothing to suggest that they do.

Additionally, your suggested difference isn't relevant to that discussion. Either you value education or you don't. Either you're trying to be the best or you aren't. They aren't related to each other.

And my oft repeated point on this subject is that much of the "they just study harder" rhetoric isn't true when you compare it to to other immigrant groups within the same socioeconomic class. The stylistic approach might differ and it does. But that's very different from saying that value system, goals and outcomes are different.

What is happening instead is that when presented with links that say "all immigrants" instead of "just Asians" people default to the unproven rhetoric.

When presented with the facts that the Asian population is more than 2x the foreign born proportionality of the other ethnic groups, some people just ignore it rather than address.

That indicates that data/information that contradicts their pre-existing beliefs is being dismissed. That usually happens when people have an emotional attachment to that belief.

The data doesn't say Asians aren't smart. It says that all immigrant groups seem equally talented when they enter the U.S.

A lot of social problems can be solved by strengthening the family and encouraging parents to be strong role models for their children. I worked as an education assistant for nearly 10 years and without exception every kid that had major issues in school came from a bad home environment.

Government can dump money into education and push all of the "equality" policies they want, but until people start taking their role as a parent seriously and raise their children properly, things will not change. Broken homes and bad parenting equals a broken society.

This is the conclusion of capitalism. Unless we get off the planet, or develop robots to do all our work and then distribute wealth in a new way not based on productivity. It's nice to say we shouldn't work hard, but if someone else does, they win and you're left behind. So everyone gets sucked into working like a bitch.

Thats why i am happy we are adjusting our education system to avoid falling into the trap that says the only way to be successful is to achieve the highest grade and forsake everything else in life that make someone a complete well rounded person who will not just become a little robot engineer employee, but an innovater, an entrepreneur, someone who can think outside the box. True world leaders are not robot drones scraping to get one point higher than the drone next to them.

I agree that we should not be adopting the East Asian educational system where children spend ridiculous amounts of hours studying to pass exams. It is far too inefficient for the amount of hours the students put in.

Though, many North American parents can learn a few things when it comes to Asian parents encouraging a good attitude and work ethic in their children. A balance between the East Asian and Western Culture would be ideal. It seems like East Asia takes things too far, while Western parents have become too passive in raising their children.

Totally agree. I dont want to adopt the asian way altogether, but there are many American parents that need to be way more involved with their kids education on a daily basis than are now. It does seem to be connected to poverty though. It seems in general the more poor a family is the less involved they are in the kids education.

That's not what I was being asked about. I was being asked if Asian countries valued education more than someplace like Mexico. There's nothing to suggest that they do.

Additionally, your suggested difference isn't relevant to that discussion. Either you value education or you don't. Either you're trying to be the best or you aren't. They aren't related to each other.

And my oft repeated point on this subject is that much of the "they just study harder" rhetoric isn't true when you compare it to to other immigrant groups within the same socioeconomic class. The stylistic approach might differ and it does. But that's very different from saying that value system, goals and outcomes are different.

What is happening instead is that when presented with links that say "all immigrants" instead of "just Asians" people default to the unproven rhetoric.

When presented with the facts that the Asian population is more than 2x the foreign born proportionality of the other ethnic groups, some people just ignore it rather than address.

That indicates that data/information that contradicts their pre-existing beliefs is being dismissed. That usually happens when people have an emotional attachment to that belief.

The data doesn't say Asians aren't smart. It says that all immigrant groups seem equally talented when they enter the U.S.

There are certainly degrees of valuing education, Mexicans paradigm when presented with education is, there should be more colleges and more accesiblity for

There are certainly degree in the valuing of education. In hispanic countries there is the belief that education should be accesible to all, in asia they think education should be available to only the best.

Therefore there is far more pressure on asians to actually excel in test taking since there is rampant competition for coveted spots.

most of the Ivy League bound nerds from my HS- the virginal shut-ins with no social life type- are now living picture perfect lives. High paying job, likeminded professional wife, huge homes, lavish parties, and jetsetting around the world. I've heard rumors of several of them involved in high-end wifeswapping/sex party type deals with other professionals. And I know for a fact some are on TRT/juice/nootropics [moldafinil, amphetamines, pscyhedelics]. They are making up for their lost teenage years with a VENGEANCE, and doing it better than we ever could.

The nerds do have the last laugh in this case.

I can still beat em up tho.
Well dude, take everything you see on facebook with a grain o salt. On Facebook people show what they wa,t yiu to see

There are certainly degrees of valuing education, Mexicans paradigm when presented with education is, there should be more colleges and more accesiblity for

There are certainly degree in the valuing of education. In hispanic countries there is the belief that education should be accesible to all, in asia they think education should be available to only the best.

Therefore there is far more pressure on asians to actually excel in test taking since there is rampant competition for coveted spots.

No offense but your examples don't speak to the degree of valuing education. Your examples speak to the difference in how that value is expressed. For example - all sports value elite athletes. But what specific forms of elite athleticism they value change across the sports. You wouldn't say soccer doesn't value elite athleticism just because they don't express the same interest in height that basketball does. At the core, they value speed, strength, coordination, etc. It's only in the extremes that the differences arise.

The same with education. Because Mexicans think that there should be more access doesn't mean they don't value their best students or being the best.

Back