Law Affirmative Action Abolished: U.S Supreme Court Outlaws Racial Discrimination In College Admissions.

I would much rather live in South Korea than any city in the U.S. In general, Koreans are far less obnoxious, arrogant and violent while being far more respectful, humble and considerate of others compared to North Americans. I would say many Asians are far easier to be friends with than most people in North America. It should also be pointed out that the majority of Koreans are not overweight. Certainly, Korea is not perfect, but it is far from the socially dysfunctional dystopia you are making East Asian people out to be.

Also, what is so important about partying that young people must be doing it? There is far too much emphasis on fun and entertainment in Western Culture. As Neil Postman would say, we are amusing ourselves to death.
lol @ Koreans not being arrogant.

You must be Japanese?
No but it's pretty well-known that Koreans tend to be a bit prideful. Maybe it's mainly the older generation though. The ones from K-town are pretty obnoxious too.

No but it's pretty well-known that Koreans tend to be a bit prideful. Maybe it's mainly the older generation though. The ones from K-town are pretty obnoxious too.

My Korean in-laws are rather arrogant when it comes to believing their culture is the greatest, but I haven't seen the individual hubris and entitlement Americans have.

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense but your examples don't speak to the degree of valuing education. Your examples speak to the difference in how that value is expressed. For example - all sports value elite athletes. But what specific forms of elite athleticism they value change across the sports. You wouldn't say soccer doesn't value elite athleticism just because they don't express the same interest in height that basketball does. At the core, they value speed, strength, coordination, etc. It's only in the extremes that the differences arise.

The same with education. Because Mexicans think that there should be more access doesn't mean they don't value their best students or being the best.

Actually it is pretty different.

The level of sacrifice that asians parents make their kids endure is nearly unheard in Mexico. Its also far more sensible since talented people are not forced to enter into a crazy race for the few available spots at high end public universities.

Its like the difference between someone who trains to become a professional and someone who trains for health.

Totally agree. I dont want to adopt the asian way altogether, but there are many American parents that need to be way more involved with their kids education on a daily basis than are now. It does seem to be connected to poverty though. It seems in general the more poor a family is the less involved they are in the kids education.

That's funny because all the beverly hills families I know put their kids in elite prep schools but otherwise aren't involved for shit.

That's funny because all the beverly hills families I know put their kids in elite prep schools but otherwise aren't involved for shit.
See i would think it would be more of an issue that the poor parents didnt have as much time to be involved due to working a lot to make ends meet or even working two jobs while the more affluent families would have more time to spend helping their kids. Also the rich parents are more likely to be educated themselves so would place it as more of a priority.

So the academic competition in the NY hood is on the same level between the poor first-gen Asian immigrants on subsidized school lunches, poor welfare blacks, poor illegal hispanics immigrants, and poor leftover Whites. What's your point?

Again, we're back to parenting: I'm sure all parents in the hoods work their ass off to provide for their family, but why are the Asian parents the only one in those groups who found the time to made sure their children do well in school so they could escape poverty through a proper education?

This is a non-issue, since there aren't many Asian students who actually wants to play hockey at Canterbury or Deerfield.

And we ARE talking about school and education here, particularly as a vehicle to get the hell out of the hoodz.

But since you want to talk about hobbies (for some strange reasons), I think most Asian kids in High School would rather be playing StarCraft, COD, and Fallout with their friends rather than hockey, to be honest. Something they're probably still be doing years later in their Silicon Valley offices.

If we talking about NYC only, then the asians here have weak competition. Those so-called elite schools they get into are overrated, and so therefore whatever they do to get in is nothing special. And I dont know if the article mentions it, but there are Hispanics and blacks in the those schools too.

And another thing I want to point out. Back when NYC was pretty bad, asians did not want to just go to regular local schools, especially the high schools. It would not be very friendly to them. They had to go to those nerd schools. So it has become kind of trend for them.

Did the article in the OP actually mention how many of those asians actually get into an Ivy League, or even go on to have highly successful careers? I know for a fact most do not. They end up like everyone else.

You have to love how some of the replies on here are strapped with subtle insults towards Asian-American's.

"Well, ...If you wanna spend your whole life studying and nothing else" " Well, ..they may be better test takers but they don't understand the material like we do..."

In the end it doesn't matter what they did to get from point A to point B; they had to work hard for it, end of story.

The issue here is that they are at a disadvantage

Last edited:
And they wont go marching or protesting or rioting about, nor take to the internet and demand respect.

They just go about their business. It has what they have always done. And I respect them for that.

See i would think it would be more of an issue that the poor parents didnt have as much time to be involved due to working a lot to make ends meet or even working two jobs while the more affluent families would have more time to spend helping their kids. Also the rich parents are more likely to be educated themselves so would place it as more of a priority.

The high paying jobs keep them busy all the time, even when at home. They can hire tudors, do more for the success of their children, but are rarely if ever doing the parenting themselves.

The housewives, are nuts. You'd think it was just a Hollywood characature, nope.

While I fundamentally disagree with any preferential (or in this case, discriminatory) treatment on racial grounds, the Asian model for academic success is largely predicated on rote style learning that does not readily lend itself to ingenuity, risk taking, or critical thinking. It makes for wonderful students, but that ability doesn't always carry over to a real world setting. I mentioned this before (and it is a genuinely unfair broad brush assessment), but there is a running joke where I work that "Asians replicate, Whites innovate".

For the record, I say this as being a child of Asian(ish) heritage - my parents emphasized academics above all else, but it was to the detriment of my social development.

I am all for parents taking active roles in their child's lives and education, but there needs to be a better balance between academic oriented goals and cultivating interpersonal skills and interests beyond the classroom (and no, I don't count extra curricular activities with the specific intent of looking good on a university application the same thing).

Friends I think you guys are missing the point. Schools are actively discriminating against Asians. When you put in policies for the express purpose of reducing any one ethnic group that is unconstitutional and immoral. If I am genetically inferior to you people then design a impartial test that we can both take so you can prove it. If being creative is so great then make a objective test to test it. As it is this is modern day Jim Crow.

Actually it is pretty different.

The level of sacrifice that asians parents make their kids endure is nearly unheard in Mexico. Its also far more sensible since talented people are not forced to enter into a crazy race for the few available spots at high end public universities.

Its like the difference between someone who trains to become a professional and someone who trains for health.

Sorry but that's simply not true. You're taking the habits of a small percentage of the Asian population then extrapolating it to the entire continent.

For example - China doesn't mandate high school. The last 3 years are entirely a matter of choice, it's not selective, only voluntary. That means that the parents and kids that people keeping talking about are the ones who've chosen to actually continue school after it become voluntary.

At the primary level they have 121 million students but at the secondary level, including the voluntary high school years, they only have 78 million. A 33% drop off!!! :eek: That tells us that what we see as the typical Asian parent isn't that typical. We only see the parents who choose to continue high school and, presumably, to compete for college spots.

The parents/kids who just don't care enough to continue drop out of the system after their 9th year of education. Even more drop out of the system after high school and never apply for college, locally or abroad. You're making an attribution error. Because you only see the most driven parents, you've mistakenly assumed that they are the norm and not the outliers.

It's the American equivalent of saying that American students are highly driven but only looking at the students who choose to apply to top 25 colleges. Everyone looks brilliant when you ignore the people who don't try. That is the recurring problem when discussing the Asian education culture. People ignore the vast amount of Asians who have little interest in education and only focus on the group that 1) obviously values education and 2) were smart enough to capitalize on that valuation. Selection bias at it's finest. :(

Every time I bring this up, many people simply refuse to actually research the points I'm making. This is why I say it's an issue of emotional investment. They're unwilling to entertain the possibility that the research will contradict the positions they've taken for granted.

I had a race and ethnic studies teacher who was really butthurt about Asians. Every time she'd give some reason it's impossible for Black's to be successful like they are poor, don't have have white priveledge act. Then someone would say "what about Asian immigrants" and she'd get all pissy. Then she actually blamed Asians for making blacks feel bad and that held them back too. I actually completely don't blame Black's for failing. They are people like anyone else. So you have to look at why they do. It's culture. Why do they have the culture they do? Partly because of white people, politics, slavery, it all plays a role. I don't blame them at all. But I think we need all begin to recognize that culture does drive success or failure in different ways. Everything is based on culture. And most people act like culture doesn't even exist. They think they hold thoughts they do just because it's common sense. Now I'm rambling...

And why aren't whites as successful as Asians? I find it interesting that people rarely compare the two or try to make judgements about the culture of white people based on the success of Asians. Its only used as fodder against blacks or Hispanics.

There was just a report about how the death rate of white middle age Americans are increasing. The segment of whites that are experiencing the highest increase in death rates usually have no education above the high school level (if that) and woeful job prospects. They usually kill themselves or succumb to complications of heroin/opioids addiction. And what is the discourse like regarding this issue? Hard talk about pulling oneself up by their bootstraps or deficiencies in culture or upbringing? Nope, instead, we got a massive thread about why feminism is to blame. Now imagine if that report was about blacks...doubt anyone would be blaming feminism.

You have to love how some of the replies on here are strapped with subtle insults towards Asian-American's.

"Well, ...If you wanna spend your whole life studying and nothing else" " Well, ..they may be better test takers but they don't understand the material like we do..."

In the end it doesn't matter what they did to get from point A to point B; they had to work hard for it, end of story.

The issue here is that they are at a disadvantage

Except that universities arent evaluated with tests, they are evaluated by the skills of their graduates, so they kind of want to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Friends I think you guys are missing the point. Schools are actively discriminating against Asians. When you put in policies for the express purpose of reducing any one ethnic group that is unconstitutional and immoral. If I am genetically inferior to you people then design a impartial test that we can both take so you can prove it. If being creative is so great then make a objective test to test it. As it is this is modern day Jim Crow.

How do you objectively test creativeness potential in teenage kids without having their parents tampering with them?

Sorry but that's simply not true. You're taking the habits of a small percentage of the Asian population then extrapolating it to the entire continent.

For example - China doesn't mandate high school. The last 3 years are entirely a matter of choice, it's not selective, only voluntary. That means that the parents and kids that people keeping talking about are the ones who've chosen to actually continue school after it become voluntary.

At the primary level they have 121 million students but at the secondary level, including the voluntary high school years, they only have 78 million. A 33% drop off!!! :eek: That tells us that what we see as the typical Asian parent isn't that typical. We only see the parents who choose to continue high school and, presumably, to compete for college spots.

The parents/kids who just don't care enough to continue drop out of the system after their 9th year of education. Even more drop out of the system after high school and never apply for college, locally or abroad. You're making an attribution error. Because you only see the most driven parents, you've mistakenly assumed that they are the norm and not the outliers.

It's the American equivalent of saying that American students are highly driven but only looking at the students who choose to apply to top 25 colleges. Everyone looks brilliant when you ignore the people who don't try. That is the recurring problem when discussing the Asian education culture. People ignore the vast amount of Asians who have little interest in education and only focus on the group that 1) obviously values education and 2) were smart enough to capitalize on that valuation. Selection bias at it's finest. :(

Every time I bring this up, many people simply refuse to actually research the points I'm making. This is why I say it's an issue of emotional investment. They're unwilling to entertain the possibility that the research will contradict the positions they've taken for granted.

Im actually basing myself in PISA tests, i dont really know much about asian education.

That being said a survey that asks people how important they think things are isnt at all relevant, thats like if you went to Mexico and made a survey about eating healthy and exercising, you would get a lot of people thinking its pretty important, yet the population is by large obese and sedentary.

Friends I think you guys are missing the point. Schools are actively discriminating against Asians. When you put in policies for the express purpose of reducing any one ethnic group that is unconstitutional and immoral.

The amount of acceptance and support for Institutional Racism is staggering in today's society when it's only the Asian-Americans who are being targeted, and the modern-day Jim Crow supporters in this thread are not actually not being subtle about it at all, mainly because they don't even realized they're perpetuating discrimination.

It's pretty incredible for anyone to read the news article in the OP and somehow managed to deduced that the 13% of NYC high school students who are poor, hardworking Asian immigrant kids are the real priviledged oppressors in this narrative, and because those kids dared to listen to their hardworking parents (who toiled in jobs from morning til night but still somehow managed to find the time to spend with their children) about the value of education and studied hard so they can get the hell out of the hoods on their own merits, it's okay to discriminate against them and hold them back.

In order to do that, they would grasp at anything, including criticizing the amount of parenting in a typical Asian household, in favor of the lack thereof.

Last edited:
And why aren't whites as successful as Asians? I find it interesting that people rarely compare the two or try to make judgements about the culture of white people based on the success of Asians. Its only used as fodder against blacks or Hispanics.

There was just a report about how the death rate of white middle age Americans are increasing. The segment of whites that are experiencing the highest increase in death rates usually have no education above the high school level (if that) and woeful job prospects. They usually kill themselves or succumb to complications of heroin/opioids addiction. And what is the discourse like regarding this issue? Hard talk about pulling oneself up by their bootstraps or deficiencies in culture or upbringing? Nope, instead, we got a massive thread about why feminism is to blame. Now imagine if that report was about blacks...doubt anyone would be blaming feminism.

I think we are comparing Asians to whites. The Asians that do well seem to be recent immigrants and focus incredibly hard on testing and on extra curricular activities that look good on college applications. They recognize that in America there is opportunity for those who work hard.

White people aren't exactly that far behind. The largest GDP comes from the European union followed by the U.S. Along with production the U.S. practically creates all the major entertainment from music to movies, a large amount of the video game market (although obviously Japan plays a large role in that as well).

I would argue that white culture in many areas is complete shit. We no longer teach logic in schools. We teach history dates but not any sort of values from the teachings. I think history without any sort of morale lesson is largely useless. We are scared of drugs. Which nearly all the people who create new products or entertainment take. Its absurd to banish them. I think white culture is under attack by femenists and we are trying to figure out how to move forward. Whites have rightfully gotten a lot of shit, but being the first into the industrial revolution and the first to experience incredible wealth, it has also made many of our intellectuals and business leaders a lot more open minded and ethical. We have Bill Gates getting billionaires to give up all their to charity. We have an army of liberals trying to spread wealth around and bring back local stores and farms. Whites are doing a lot of good in the world. White intellectuals will do a lot of good in the next century.

I think black culture is under and has been under attack by whites. People really downplay the incredible effect the drug war has had. Or the effect of the FBI destroying any black mass movement of focusing on helping each other and coming together etc. It all plays a major role.

Last edited:
Back