The Weight Cutting Thread

It might seem like a stupid question bt anyone know where I can get hold of large quantities of distilled water in the Uk?

Hey Guys, got a Q about the 7 principles and the Grappler Guide book.

I have my first bjj comp the beginning of Feb and need to drop about 8lbs. I weigh in with my gi about 188lbs and will compete at 181. I want to be able to have a good breakfast the day of so I am strong.

Anyways, my question is about eating carbs with my normal, not pwo, meals.

In the 7 habits Berardi says to only eat "other" carbs post workout and to eat veggies/fruit with your other meals for carbs.

However, in the Grapplers Guide his meal plan the weeks before a tournament have "other" carbs at pretty much every meal, and doesnt cut them out until the few days leading up to the competition.

My question is which way should I be doing it? Should I follow the Grapplers Guide stance on carbs or the 7 habits?

I read a dozen threads about the Grapplers Guide but didnt find my answer.

Anyone care to enlighten a newbie?

I'm competing at Copa Nova in a week as a lightweight, which they define as 149.9 lbs. I started at 160 after partying for New Years, and in a day and a half have trimmed to 154. I've been restricting calories and drinking as much water as I can stomach, hopefully its close to 2 gallons. I should be able to make my goal of 149 by weigh-ins, without the use of a sweat suit, laxatives, or any other extreme measures. The bottom of the weight class I'm shooting for is 135, so if I can weigh in at 149.9 and come in the next day at 155-160, I should be solid.

Your thoughts?

Can anyone give me some direction on the above? Thanks.

is there a rule of thumb for how much water to cut(and not be dengerously dehydrated) for how much you weight?

if so could someone post this in gallons or pounds? thank you

i have a friend (female) who is trying to fight at 125 lbs for the first time. what should she be walking around when she doesn't have a fight coming up? thanks

I'm competing at Copa Nova in a week as a lightweight, which they define as 149.9 lbs. I started at 160 after partying for New Years, and in a day and a half have trimmed to 154. I've been restricting calories and drinking as much water as I can stomach, hopefully its close to 2 gallons. I should be able to make my goal of 149 by weigh-ins, without the use of a sweat suit, laxatives, or any other extreme measures. The bottom of the weight class I'm shooting for is 135, so if I can weigh in at 149.9 and come in the next day at 155-160, I should be solid.

Your thoughts?

Yes. You should be good.

is there a rule of thumb for how much water to cut(and not be dengerously dehydrated) for how much you weight?

if so could someone post this in gallons or pounds? thank you

Depends on the person really. And a bigger person generally can cut more water weight the day prior.

That being said, 8 lbs to go for me, weigh-ins are a day before the tournament (Friday weigh-ins).

What's the best method to cut weight for someone who is already extremely scrawny? I am 5'9-5'10ish and about 134 pounds and I need to drop to below 129.9. I realize this may not be a lot but this is my first time cutting weight and I am not sure exactly how t go about it with my body type since I don't really have much fat on me to lose. My weigh-in will be March 5th or 6th so I do have a couple of weeks.

My friend has a sauna in her house that she doesn't mind me using whenever, should I just load up on water for the next couple weeks then sweat it off a couple days before?

this is a good thread

i'm 175 right now and need to be 168-170 a week from saturday, i'm gunna be trying this

5-3days out
2gal water(distilled)
small meals

2 days out
1gal water
smaller meals

1 day out
no water..no carbs

weigh in 2/27 @7am

wish me luck :)

Hey Guys, got a Q about the 7 principles and the Grappler Guide book.

I have my first bjj comp the beginning of Feb and need to drop about 8lbs. I weigh in with my gi about 188lbs and will compete at 181. I want to be able to have a good breakfast the day of so I am strong.

Anyways, my question is about eating carbs with my normal, not pwo, meals.

In the 7 habits Berardi says to only eat "other" carbs post workout and to eat veggies/fruit with your other meals for carbs.

However, in the Grapplers Guide his meal plan the weeks before a tournament have "other" carbs at pretty much every meal, and doesnt cut them out until the few days leading up to the competition.

My question is which way should I be doing it? Should I follow the Grapplers Guide stance on carbs or the 7 habits?

I read a dozen threads about the Grapplers Guide but didnt find my answer.

Anyone care to enlighten a newbie?

Neither one is is law, but the reason they differ is the 7 habits are for anybody looking to lose bodyfat, including sedentary people who workout for maybe an hour day. The Grappler's Guide lists a menu for hard training competitive athletes, who generally require more carbohydrates to fuel intense training. Also, eating more carbohydrates increases intracellular water. This of course also allows a bigger water weight loss when carbs are cut before a competition.

This is a very solid thread. There are a few things I would change, but they're minor and really don't detract from the whole much. We get a ton of weight cutting questions, I've half a mind to stick this by itself instead of just having it as a FAQ link.

What's the best method to cut weight for someone who is already extremely scrawny? I am 5'9-5'10ish and about 134 pounds and I need to drop to below 129.9. I realize this may not be a lot but this is my first time cutting weight and I am not sure exactly how t go about it with my body type since I don't really have much fat on me to lose. My weigh-in will be March 5th or 6th so I do have a couple of weeks.

My friend has a sauna in her house that she doesn't mind me using whenever, should I just load up on water for the next couple weeks then sweat it off a couple days before?

Still looking for an answer. Someone care to help so i can get started?

7 days before competition with 5-6 lbs. over. I drank like 2 gallons of water today, ate 3 small meals. And ran for about 7 miles. Why do I feel like im doing something wrong?

EDIT actually, just read the OP, much better advice there.

Last edited:
Still looking for an answer. Someone care to help so i can get started?

I can offer some advice as I cut down for a tournament earlier today, but that was my first time so I am by no means an expert.

What I'd suggest is a few times in the sauna/ steam room the night before, and lose what you feel comfortable with (I could hardly walk when I'd done and felt like I was going to faint).

Make sure to eat some pasta the night before. Yes,it will add weight to you, but if you don't eat it you'll feel even worse than you otherwise would.

Make sure that you don't lose too much.

Take a skipping rope and a sweat suit with you to the weigh-in. You can lose those last couple of pounds quite quickly if need be.

The measures mentioned above should get you down. Like yourself, I have a very low BF% and could only cut by losing water. Your cut wont be as drastic as mine (I had to drop 11 lb. in under 24 hours).

Make sure to take plenty of isotonic (sports) drinks with you for after the weigh-in. They rehydrate you better than water as they contain the isotopes that you lose through sweat.

7 days before competition with 5-6 lbs. over. I drank like 2 gallons of water today, ate 3 small meals. And ran for about 7 miles. Why do I feel like im doing something wrong?

If you cut properly, you should be preparing for quite a few days in advance, but the weight should only really drop off you within the final 24 hours or so.

Nothing against Barardi but no kidding, this stuff is pretty general knowledge for whoever wants to cut weight.

Back