The West No Longer Exists (Geopolitics)

V-2

[ [ AT/GC ] ]
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.spiegel.de/international...low-to-trans-atlantic-ties-a-1207260-amp.html

Spiegel said:
The most shocking realization, however, is one that affects us directly: The West as we once knew it no longer exists. Our relationship to the United States cannot currently be called a friendship and can hardly be referred to as a partnership. President Trump has adopted a tone that ignores 70 years of trust. He wants punitive tariffs and demands obedience. It is no longer a question as to whether Germany and Europe will take part in foreign military interventions in Afghanistan or Iraq. It is now about whether trans-Atlantic cooperation on economic, foreign and security policy even exists anymore.

The answer: No. It is impossible to overstate what Trump has dismantled in the last 16 months. Europe has lost its protective power. It has lost its guarantor of joint values. And it has lost the global political influence that it was only able to exert because the U.S. stood by its side. And what will happen in the remaining two-and-a-half years (or six-and-a-half years) of Trump's leadership? There is plenty of time left for further escalation.

What Spiegel doesn't realize is that the whole damn thing is coming down with or without Donald Trump and that even a large part of the Democratic Party is turning protectionist. Bernie Sanders was/is as much anti-free trade as DJT, the ideology is a bit different but result largely the same. It's for the simple fact that multilateral free trade, collective security and maintaining global order is rapidly exhausting the interest and even usefulness to the United States. Whether the 'empire' is dismantled abruptly or gradually is probably the only real factor to take into consideration but one thing is becoming clear: It'll be at America's own hand and doing.

Could Peter Zeihan have been more on point?

* America did not create the 'Bretton Woods' (Post-1945) system to become rich. The Americans already were rich, and had been the world’s richest country since the completion of Reconstruction in the 1870s. In the decades since, the United States’ economy never really internationalized: As a percentage of GDP, the United States is the most self-sufficient economy in the world. As of 2015, only 8.25% of GDP came from merchandise exports, and over one-third of that is bound up in America’s NAFTA partners. And that’s with old data. With the massive re-shoring and industrial manufacturing boom currently underway, many of the remaining aspects of Americans’ foreign “dependence” are being gutted without mercy or preamble.

* The Americans created Bretton Woods as a bribe. Since Bretton Woods was about swapping economic access for security control, the United States could not have used it to force-feed its products to its allies — instead it had to allow its allies to access U.S. markets unilaterally. The United States had to be a net importer. It had to run a trade deficit. To do otherwise would have eliminated the incentive for countries as wildly divergent as Korea and China and Sweden and Germany and Argentina and Morocco to participate in the first place. For the Americans, free trade wasn’t about economics at all, it was a security gambit that was designed to solidify an alliance in order to fight a war. But that war ended three decades ago. America’s security needs have evolved, and soon so will its security policies — and that spells the end of globalized trade.

* The United States dominates the oceans regardless of what the global power structure looks like. One American aircraft carrier battle group sports more projection-capable firepower than the combined navies of the rest of the world. As of 2016, the United States maintains ten of them. The Americans’ decision to put this force differential at the service of the global commons is what makes free trade work. When the United States does finally adjust its strategic policies and no longer makes global transport safety its top concern, it still will hold the capacity to intervene anywhere on the planet at a moment’s notice. It will become a country with global reach without global interests. For the 4 billion people whose economic and physical security are utterly dependent upon global trade, this is perhaps the worst possible outcome.

Joker-Burning-Money.gif

Here is the best part. Even the very pro-internationalist Obama, was moving in this direction. The US is energy independent again, thanks to fracking. We can literally go isolationist if we choose.

There is a cost to going Isolationist, but when your other choice is extending the empire beyond a obvious breaking point, what else do you do?

The US can not fight wars in 7 different countries, contain Iran, Russia, and China. That isn't a realistic option.

The US can not fight wars in 7 different countries, contain Iran, Russia, and China. That isn't a realistic option.

Absolutely nobody wanted you guys to throw trillions into the middle-east.

http://www.spiegel.de/international...low-to-trans-atlantic-ties-a-1207260-amp.html

What Spiegel doesn't realize is that the whole damn thing is coming down with or without Donald Trump and that even a large part of the Democratic Party is turning protectionist. Bernie Sanders was/is as much anti-free trade as DJT, the ideology is a bit different but result largely the same. It's for the simple fact that multilateral free trade, collective security and maintaining global order is rapidly exhausting the interest and even usefulness to the United States. Whether the 'empire' is dismantled abruptly or gradually is probably the only real factor to take into consideration but one thing is becoming clear: It'll be at America's own hand and doing.

Could Peter Zeihan have been more on point?

* America did not create the 'Bretton Woods' (Post-1945) system to become rich. The Americans already were rich, and had been the world’s richest country since the completion of Reconstruction in the 1870s. In the decades since, the United States’ economy never really internationalized: As a percentage of GDP, the United States is the most self-sufficient economy in the world. As of 2015, only 8.25% of GDP came from merchandise exports, and over one-third of that is bound up in America’s NAFTA partners. And that’s with old data. With the massive re-shoring and industrial manufacturing boom currently underway, many of the remaining aspects of Americans’ foreign “dependence” are being gutted without mercy or preamble.

* The Americans created Bretton Woods as a bribe. Since Bretton Woods was about swapping economic access for security control, the United States could not have used it to force-feed its products to its allies — instead it had to allow its allies to access U.S. markets unilaterally. The United States had to be a net importer. It had to run a trade deficit. To do otherwise would have eliminated the incentive for countries as wildly divergent as Korea and China and Sweden and Germany and Argentina and Morocco to participate in the first place. For the Americans, free trade wasn’t about economics at all, it was a security gambit that was designed to solidify an alliance in order to fight a war. But that war ended three decades ago. America’s security needs have evolved, and soon so will its security policies — and that spells the end of globalized trade.

* The United States dominates the oceans regardless of what the global power structure looks like. One American aircraft carrier battle group sports more projection-capable firepower than the combined navies of the rest of the world. As of 2016, the United States maintains ten of them. The Americans’ decision to put this force differential at the service of the global commons is what makes free trade work. When the United States does finally adjust its strategic policies and no longer makes global transport safety its top concern, it still will hold the capacity to intervene anywhere on the planet at a moment’s notice. It will become a country with global reach without global interests. For the 4 billion people whose economic and physical security are utterly dependent upon global trade, this is perhaps the worst possible outcome.

Joker-Burning-Money.gif

Do you honestly think there will be another golden age of piracy if the US stops spending so much money on its navy? you dont need fancy boats to stop pirates, illegal fishing and the such.

Do you honestly think there will be another golden age of piracy if the US stops spending so much money on its navy? you dont need fancy boats to stop pirates, illegal fishing and the such.

How about a return of state sponsored piracy using "unconventional forces"?

Also, you know if @V-2 is right, this is good news for Mexico, and the rest of Latin America. It would raise US interest in developing regional economies. The whole economic pact for security play doesn't go completely out the window, it would just go from a global playbook, to a regional one.

How about a return of state sponsored piracy using "unconventional forces"?

I think the Indo-Pacific would turn into an absolute shit show and that's already happening between the PRC and neighbors hemming them in - who all view China with broad hostility - even with US presence in the region. It has nothing to do with rogue pirates (that's laughable), it's entire countries at large and their respective military forces.

On the contrary, do you really think the conflicts between Russia and Ukraine/Baltic states, China and Taiwan, China and Japan, China and India, India and Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Iran, Turkey and the Kurds, as well as general divide between the Sunnis and Shiites in the Muslim world wouldn't exist independently of any US involvement whatsoever? Should we find out?

I think the Indo-Pacific would turn into an absolute shit show and that's already happening between the PRC and neighbors hemming them in - who all view China with broad hostility - even with US presence in the region. It has nothing to do with rogue pirates (that's laughable), it's entire countries at large and their respective military forces.

On the contrary, do you really think the conflicts between Russia and Ukraine/Baltic states, China and Taiwan, China and Japan, China and India, India and Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Iran, Turkey and the Kurds, as well as general divide between the Sunnis and Shiites in the Muslim world wouldn't exist independently of any US involvement whatsoever? Should we find out?
We should find out. We should go more isolationist, most of us are tired of the ME, which directly correlates more tension with Russia. Yes yes I know Israel, our biggest ally needs us, but I think it's high time they garner new leadership and think of some tact diplomacy once we cut the cord.

Ehhm you are a hunter or shal we say an outdoor hobbyist?

Like what your username describes? Bushman?

Yeah I hunt, I fish, I work the land and subsist as a hobby. I live in Alaska and Rey very little on the cities for my supplies.

We should find out. We should go more isolationist, most of us are tired of the ME, which directly correlates more tension with Russia. Yes yes I know Israel, our biggest ally needs us, but I think it's high time they garner new leadership and think of some tact diplomacy once we cut the cord.

Mr.BB Is out there getting really crazy bombing missile defenses and their people writing weird shit on Twitter that looks like from starwars.

I really wonder if theh can take on the Arab world with minimal US support.

Like they can buy US weapons and food and maybe some loans but thats it no deffense treaty no obligation for uncke sam to send troops or guards.

But thats it.

I think they can manage they have other markets in the region and half of their Arab rivals are destroyed.

As for the Himas? They might try something stupid tbough.

Honestly, I think it would require submission to the New regional power, or war in many cases, especially the South pacific.

Although coalitions to balance powers are also a possibility.

I think the government's of the world know a dirty little secret they are trying to keep hidden. That technology advancement is about to shatter the world order.

Yeah I hunt, I fish, I work the land and subsist as a hobby. I live in Alaska and Rey very little on the cities for my supplies.

I want to see someone explain to you, that you don't need a semi-automatic rifle.

I'm picturing a charging Kodiak Grizzly, a bolt action rifle, and just shaking my head.

That technology advancement is about to shatter the world order.

On another note:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...s-nasa-research-verifying-greenhouse-gas-cuts

"We really shoot ourselves in the foot if we let other people develop the technology"

This is fucking annoying, and happens too often. So it's like this: the fundamental research to make discoveries is funded and carried out by the US. The applied research to innovate the technology is funded and carried out by the US. It claps the entire world over in these areas...

Only to have it fumbled away to other parties in the comparatively EZ-work development stage - be it the EU, China, or Japan. From commercial drones to solar panels to flat-panel displays. Not only is it a free ride off America's investment and world-class research but tens of billions out the door in manufacturing output.

Back