'The Wire' - It gets better after the 1st season, right?

What's your favorite show? Breaking Bad?

That would explain why The Wire isn't for you.

What's your favorite show? Breaking Bad?

That would explain why The Wire isn't for you.

Yep, BB is my #1 GOAT.
The Shield #2 after that.
First six seasons of GoT.
First two seasons of Spartacus.
First four seasons of Dexter.

I like great drama, and am willing to get into a show that takes a while to build up.

So, why is The Wire considered as great, or even better, than any of the shows I mentioned?

It isnt for everyone, but you should stick with it until it's one of the best things you've ever seen. It'll happen.

Honestly, I thought 3 and 4 were the best seasons, but 1 is still amazing. It will grow on you when start to appreciate the realism.

Breaking Bad is one of my absolute favorite shows, too. That's easier to watch, imo, but The Wire is better.

Yep, BB is my #1 GOAT.
The Shield #2 after that.
First six seasons of GoT.
First two seasons of Spartacus.
First four seasons of Dexter.

I like great drama, and am willing to get into a show that takes a while to build up.

So, why is The Wire considered as great, or even better, than any of the shows I mentioned?

Breaking Bad was a fun ride, but it was ultimately written by committee, and pandered it's way out of telling a proper story. By the end it was a great big ball of fan service. The Shield was BY FAR the better story. It created a believable character breaking bad over time, and was masterful in showing just how someone actually trying to do the right thing could gradually do more and more wrong things, to support the altruistic motive that doesn't really exist any more. People talk about character development in Walter White, it was virtually non-existent. He wasn't a person, he was a caricature. Worse still was Jessie. He went from stoned idiot to cunning strategist the second they decided to keep him on the show, it was a prime example of inconsistent writing. Breaking Bad kept writing itself into and out of corners, and it didn't do it very well. They literally created scenes with no idea how they were going to write beyond them, and it left some pretty gaping holes.

The Wire was a complex tapestry of characters that told a layered story about the core issues of the drug trade in Baltimore. With one minor exception it never served the fans, every detail served the story. For this reason, there are people that don't like it. There were no grandiose, ridiculous scenes made for the sole reason of making the fans happy. The Wire had twenty times as much going on and you had to really pay attention. I remember a cartoon talking about the wire, it said "that shit's dense".

I loved Breaking Bad and have no issue with people who preferred it to The Wire, but better? That's ridiculous. The quality of writing and level of story in The Wire crushes Breaking Bad, which should not be in the conversation.

Edit - changed "mastermind" to "strategist".

Last edited:
if you're a man and don't like the wire, you might be gay.

nvm, you are gay.

It's probably just not for you. A lot of people get mad at people that can't sit through it as it's a slow burn, but some of those people can't get through another great show like Mad Men. It's just different tastes, but it's hard to fathom how people can't understand why The Wire and Mad Men are so highly rated.

this video explains why the wire is a masterpiece.

So in the past I've tried to get into The Wire, and failed.

1st attempt - Quit after the 1st episode.

2nd attempt - Quit after the 6th episode.

So this week I've given it a 3rd attempt and just finished the 8th episode.... and I'm bored.

For those who praise The Wire as the best TV show ever, it gets better after the 1st season right? The 1st is setting the table and introducing characters and the themes of the cops/dealers?

Edit - I've heard spoilers throughout the years, so don't bother with the cute "Have you got to the point that ______ dies?"
I’m not going to convince you. I really enjoyed it from the beginning. If you don’t like it don’t watch it.

For the record season 2 contains the most annoying character I've ever seen on television. Not in a good way either.
How can y’all hate on zig. Either you’re a a college kid who he exposed or a Greek stock boy in a copy store.

For the record season 2 contains the most annoying character I've ever seen on television. Not in a good way either.
Seriously, the most annoying character in TV? Come on man. That honor goes to Urkel.

14261Urkel.jpg

So in the past I've tried to get into The Wire, and failed.

1st attempt - Quit after the 1st episode.

2nd attempt - Quit after the 6th episode.

So this week I've given it a 3rd attempt and just finished the 8th episode.... and I'm bored.

For those who praise The Wire as the best TV show ever, it gets better after the 1st season right? The 1st is setting the table and introducing characters and the themes of the cops/dealers?

Edit - I've heard spoilers throughout the years, so don't bother with the cute "Have you got to the point that ______ dies?"

I agree with you 100% and I'm not embarrassed to say that I don't get the love for this show. I barely made it through the first season.

It isnt for everyone, but you should stick with it until it's one of the best things you've ever seen. It'll happen.

Honestly, I thought 3 and 4 were the best seasons, but 1 is still amazing. It will grow on you when start to appreciate the realism.

Breaking Bad is one of my absolute favorite shows, too. That's easier to watch, imo, but The Wire is better.

Season 2 was easily the worst one of the show. I may had fallen asleep during each episode, not kidding.

Once it was over, i forgot all about it as the next seasons were better.

Buuuut it wasnt enough to keep me going and abandoned it before the last season.

I enjoyed Lost, Dexter, and even Walking Deads last seasons more than Wires and they were dull to awful. I was that bored.

I guess it's just not for you. I was hooked from the moment I turned it on. First season is one of the best.
This. I'm in the best TV show ever camp. I'm about due to watch it again & I'm pumped.

Season 2 was easily the worst one of the show. I may had fallen asleep during each episode, not kidding.

Once it was over, i forgot all about it as the next seasons were better.

Buuuut it wasnt enough to keep me going and abandoned it before the last season.

I enjoyed Lost, Dexter, and even Walking Deads last seasons more than Wires and they were dull to awful. I was that bored.

I thought s5 was its weakest, but I still loved it. At the very least, it gave us the most big moments (deaths) and wrapped up the story nicely. The serial killer plot was a little crazy, but thought it was perfect for McNulty, especially after his small role in s4. He was essentially the main character, and they had him come back with a vengeance, drinking more than ever and doing all of this crazy illegal shit to fund the Marlo case.... natural po-lice.

You were right about those other shows. Dexter's last season was the worst season of TV I've ever seen. And Lost's was fuckin awful, too. I gave up on the Walking Dead by the mid-season finale of s5, I think.

The Wire is the goat. Every show pales in comparison to it.

Watched when i was like twenty.. was bored and gave up after a few episodes.

Came back 5+ years later and it was fucking amazing.. maybe i matured idk.. second season after the first was a tiny struggle.. with how much it changed but give it time..

Season 4 was so sad and amazing TV.. Imo season five was really weak by the wire standards though

Season 4 was the best iirc

The season with the kids

But all the seasons are top tier television
Gear, if you try again start at season 4. Then work your way back to either one or two, but not three. Three is very plot connected, so you'll really need a good understanding of the character histories.

Remember, this is television.

its overrated like everything on the internet

Back