The Wisdom of Hand Foot Foot Hand Head

This kind of punishment had its place in a pre-modern era before we could sustain large prisons. If you can just imprison people, that's generally more humane or at least provides the possibility of more humane punishment and should be preferred. So piss off with bringing this shit back unless you're some Sub-Saharan African tribal warlord or something like that, in which case hack away my friend.

On a side note its funny that in Aladdin that merchant threatened to cut off Jasmine's hand for stealing an apple when even your link points out the punishment only applied when the property stolen was of a minimum amount and explicitly exempted the theft of fruit, not to mention such a case would have to be adjudicated by some authority and not just determined on the spot by the vendor. Implicit Islamophobia IMO.
Yeah conditions have to be met before we cut off hands. How horrible that the conditions weren’t met. Then it would be ok. Islamophobia if it isn’t

This kind of punishment had its place in a pre-modern era before we could sustain large prisons. If you can just imprison people, that's generally more humane or at least provides the possibility of more humane punishment and should be preferred. So piss off with bringing this shit back unless you're some Sub-Saharan African tribal warlord or something like that, in which case hack away my friend.

On a side note its funny that in Aladdin that merchant threatened to cut off Jasmine's hand for stealing an apple when even your link points out the punishment only applied when the property stolen was of a minimum amount and explicitly exempted the theft of fruit, not to mention such a case would have to be adjudicated by some authority and not just determined on the spot by the vendor. Implicit Islamophobia IMO.

How would Islamic law deal with a mass shooter?

Is there any precedent for a public execution to caution future would-be shooters?

Imagine instead of the media spending 24 hours a day asking "what could possibly push someone to do this, let's analyze his motives, read his manifesto, show his picture, check what he likes on facebook, explore his thoughts and commentary on society, etc etc", they would just cover a flogging followed by an execution, with a bag on his head. Live on TV. No picture of his face, no glorification. Would that be a decent deterrent?

What about the prohibition of usury?
That's one of the best rules in Islam and what annoys me is that Islamists are actually quick to abandon it.
How would Islamic law deal with a mass shooter?

Is there any precedent for a public execution to caution future would-be shooters?

Imagine instead of the media spending 24 hours a day asking "what could possibly push someone to do this, let's analyze his motives, read his manifesto, show his picture, check what he likes on facebook, explore his thoughts and commentary on society, etc etc", they would just cover a flogging followed by an execution, with a bag on his head. Live on TV. No picture of his face, no glorification. Would that be a decent deterrent?
I'm not an expert on Islamic law but you have to figure execution would be the punishment for such a heinous crime. But I'm not sure how effective a deterrent it would be. A lot of school shooters commit their shooting sprees expecting to die at the end, either at the hands of the police or their own hand.

And even if they don't it might not figure into their decision. I remember had a professor who was a consultant on death penalty cases for the defense and she said a lot of her clients didn't even know that the death penalty was still legal. They were shocked when the state would go for it in their case. Criminals just aren't very smart most of the time.

But you have to figure it would deter at least a few cases.

Disney BTFO.

Back