The Witcher 2

Dream Evil

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I know I'm a few years behind on this, but I just started playing this last month and beat it last night.

All in all, I thought it was incredible. Some incredible world building.....some of the best I've seen outside of Bethesda's TES. I didn't play the first Witcher game, and while I'm sure I missed some detail due to this, I still felt like the game provided enough background that I was able to understand almost everything.

The game had a somewhat steep learning curve, from the combat to navigating the various menus/screens, but once you figured it out the combat was a lot of fun.

My only real complaint about the game was that it seemed a bit short. There were certain aspects of the game I never even got into because I was holding off until later, then lo and behold it was over. For example, I never even used any mutagens, or traps or lures. I was holding out until I found better stuff, but as it turns out I completed the game without ever needing them. Perhaps a second playthrough on a harder difficultly will allow me to explore those things.

Great game overall. I haven't yet moved into the Xbox One/PS4 generation so it will be a while until I can play the 3rd game. Just wanted to see if anyone else was a fan of the series!

It's worth replaying since you can go 2 completely different paths after the 1st act (with the army or with the outcasts). Also fun to try different styles (Magic heavy vs Combat heavy).

Definitely check out Witcher 3 as well. It's such a bigger world, not short, good DLC. One of the best games I've ever played.

If you like the Witcher 2 you'll love 3. It's 4 times as long. Also it continues the story from 2 and your choices carry over.

So I know I'm a few years behind on this, but I just started playing this last month and beat it last night.

All in all, I thought it was incredible. Some incredible world building.....some of the best I've seen outside of Bethesda's TES. I didn't play the first Witcher game, and while I'm sure I missed some detail due to this, I still felt like the game provided enough background that I was able to understand almost everything.

The game had a somewhat steep learning curve, from the combat to navigating the various menus/screens, but once you figured it out the combat was a lot of fun.

My only real complaint about the game was that it seemed a bit short. There were certain aspects of the game I never even got into because I was holding off until later, then lo and behold it was over. For example, I never even used any mutagens, or traps or lures. I was holding out until I found better stuff, but as it turns out I completed the game without ever needing them. Perhaps a second playthrough on a harder difficultly will allow me to explore those things.

Great game overall. I haven't yet moved into the Xbox One/PS4 generation so it will be a while until I can play the 3rd game. Just wanted to see if anyone else was a fan of the series!
if you like 2 you'll love 3..... its better in every way. Said as someone who really liked 2

I honestly don't remember 2 all that well anymore. I'm thinking about replaying 1 and 2. IMO, 2 was the worst of the Witcher series. For me, 3 is probably the best game of all time.

My first Witcher was 2 and the combat system was just so much different and harder than Skyrim to me so like a bitch I gave up.

My first Witcher was 2 and the combat system was just so much different and harder than Skyrim to me so like a bitch I gave up.

I hear you. I kept getting my ass handed to me at first, and so I set the difficulty to easy. That made it.... really easy, and not much fun. So I went back to normal difficulty and tried again to figure out the combat. It takes some practice... basically you need to keep moving and not let yourself get surrounded, while finding angles to get around your opponents' defense.

Once I got a handle on it, the combat was a lot of fun. Definitely worth the effort to learn.

How does the combat in 2 compare to 3?

Definitely an awesome game. And the games have more length when you add in side quests and whatnot. The witcher 3 will definitely be on your favorite game list. Especially when you get the edition with all the dlc. Also, you get to learn the awesome game of gwent. The 1st witcher game was a PC title so most of us probably haven't played it. I think

It's worth replaying since you can go 2 completely different paths after the 1st act (with the army or with the outcasts). Also fun to try different styles (Magic heavy vs Combat heavy).

Definitely check out Witcher 3 as well. It's such a bigger world, not short, good DLC. One of the best games I've ever played.

I never even thought to replay it. Now I gotta go back. Thanks for the idea

Everything but the combat is good. The combat is just terrible, button mashing garbage, with cumbersome controls for items and magic. At least on consoles, anyways. It was a PC game ported to consoles, and they never really nailed the transition for the controls. They did the best they could, but it still felt off.

If you can get pass the graphics, 1 is really good too. One boss will make you go crazy if you don't "cheat" the ai. The witcher series is definitely worth playing.

How does the combat in 2 compare to 3?
I honestly can't remember how the combat was in 2 anymore. It's pretty fun in 3, but it gets a little to easy on normal about mid game. I actually prefer playing on the harder settings, as it forces you to use all the systems in place to win the hard fights. The sword oils, the potions, the signs, etc. It makes researching the monsters more worthwhile.

It was an ok game. A little overrated imo. It was simple I thought , maybe one point I had to strategize during a battle I.e run around a big rock till I charged up or the guy was vulnerable ... Titties were good but you banged everyone the same... I enjoyed the dragon age games more.

I honestly can't remember how the combat was in 2 anymore. It's pretty fun in 3, but it gets a little to easy on normal about mid game. I actually prefer playing on the harder settings, as it forces you to use all the systems in place to win the hard fights. The sword oils, the potions, the signs, etc. It makes researching the monsters more worthwhile.
2 is harder, but also a little clunkier. Especially early on when Geralt can't even block from all directions (you have to put points in to unlock that).

I might prefer the length of 2 over 3. RPGs are starting to feel a little bloated. I think 40-60 hours is just about perfect, and The Witcher 3/Inquisition/Andromeda all felt long in the tooth by the time I finished them. I still have Ni No Kuni 2 installed and one of the things that keeps me from proceeding with it is the length.

I went with Iorveth, he seemed cooler than Roche. I guess I should try Roche on my next playthrough though .

Definitely. Roche and crew have some good dialogue and iirc a couple fun quests.

I actually just ordered this game.

I had a 360 in like 2008 then sold it then got a PS3 and have had a PS3 since then so there's lots of XBOX exclusives I never tried.

The new gen consoles are still too expensive imo and I'm waiting on the new Elder Scrolls before I get one.

So my plan for the next year or two is to play all the XBOX 360 games I never got to play. Witcher 2 was at the top of my list.

Back