The Witcher 2

I am a huge fan of the Witcher and CD Project. I bought the first Witcher the day it dropped. That being said, I'm not a fan of 2. It almost killed the series for me. 1 was amazing when it came out and still is great but it hasn't aged that well except for the alchemy system which is still the GOAT alchemy system. 3 is the best video game ever made, hands down a pinnacle of gaming.

I actually just ordered this game.

I had a 360 in like 2008 then sold it then got a PS3 and have had a PS3 since then so there's lots of XBOX exclusives I never tried.

The new gen consoles are still too expensive imo and I'm waiting on the new Elder Scrolls before I get one.

So my plan for the next year or two is to play all the XBOX 360 games I never got to play. Witcher 2 was at the top of my list.

Haha, I'm in the same boat. I've been a gamer for 30+ years, but my style has always been to take it slow and play the shit out of a handful of games that I really like. Therefore, there are still a lot of games from the last generation that I never got to.

I have less time nowadays with having kids, and so rather than leap into the next generation I'm trying to go back and hit some of those series that I missed.

Everything but the combat is good. The combat is just terrible, button mashing garbage, with cumbersome controls for items and magic. At least on consoles, anyways. It was a PC game ported to consoles, and they never really nailed the transition for the controls. They did the best they could, but it still felt off.

{<huh}

It's the opposite of a button masher. If you treat it like a button masher you'll get your shit pushed in. The trick is to be patient and master the use of rolling and quen.

{<huh}

It's the opposite of a button masher. If you treat it like a button masher you'll get your shit pushed in. The trick is to be patient and master the use of rolling and quen.

I didn't mean it in the traditional. completely mindless sense. I meant all you do is run and dodge roll until you see an opening, and mash the attack button. It's not the most elegant combat system. It just has you running around like a chicken with your head cut off avoiding attacks, and then slicing away when you get the chance. If you're facing a mob, you're running in a circle half the time, and pot shotting them. There isn't much in the way of strategy and pattern recognition. I know there is a layer of depth to it, and certain boss fights do require unique approaches, but it never really comes together during the rest of the game, and I never felt that I was learning as I went, so even when you're successful it's not very satisfying. I just used appropriate magic and traps when I had to, and then just run, run, run, roll, roll, roll, slice, slice, slice, with the occasional block here and there.

I guess if was to describe the combat in Witcher 2 in one word, it would be "frantic".

The games have good story, world, and relationship building, I just think the gameplay end doesn't hold up anywhere near that standard. The character interaction and relationship building seems to be a much more well thought out aspect.
I actually first heard about part 2 here with a forum member being really enthusiastic about it.

To me, 1 is crap, 2 I didn't finish because the combat is horrible and 3 is one the best games of all time (despite the combat being better than 2, but still subpar). CDPR learned their shit fast.

If you could somehow combine the graphics, world, and story of The Witcher with the movement, climbing ability, and combat of BOTW you may have the greatest game ever.

I didn't mean it in the traditional. completely mindless sense. I meant all you do is run and dodge roll until you see an opening, and mash the attack button. It's not the most elegant combat system. It just has you running around like a chicken with your head cut off avoiding attacks, and then slicing away when you get the chance. If you're facing a mob, you're running in a circle half the time, and pot shotting them. There isn't much in the way of strategy and pattern recognition. I know there is a layer of depth to it, and certain boss fights do require unique approaches, but it never really comes together during the rest of the game, and I never felt that I was learning as I went, so even when you're successful it's not very satisfying. I just used appropriate magic and traps when I had to, and then just run, run, run, roll, roll, roll, slice, slice, slice, with the occasional block here and there.

I guess if was to describe the combat in Witcher 2 in one word, it would be "frantic".

Doesn't this describe exactly what you do in Dark Souls? And people consider that series to have some of the best combat ever made.

You have a total misconception of what button mashing means. It's when you spam random buttons to win. There is no other definition. Certainly not a game that requires dodging enemy attacks and timing your strikes like the Witcher.

Doesn't this describe exactly what you do in Dark Souls? And people consider that series to have some of the best combat ever made.

You can generally say the same thing for a lot of games. However, the way in which The Witcher 2 handles it's combat is clumsy. Dark Souls is precise and measured, where you feel a sense of feedback, in how you're learning as you go. You feel in control of the combat, despite the game kicking your teeth in the entire time. In the Witcher 2, you just feel like you're flailing about, and simply outlasting the enemies with no real strategy involved.

This isn't exactly some new revelation. The Witcher 2's combat is a stickler for a lot of people. You're free to disagree, but my complaint isn't exactly an uncommon one.

You have a total misconception of what button mashing means

No, I'm well aware, which is why I clarified. Is "mash" what you're hung up on? Okay fine, you press the attack button frantically, when you see an opening. There is no grace to it, and it's simply not very fun because of that. It's also got other stupid issues, like not being able to use potions during combat, and having to blindly anticipate, and prepare for encounters. In fairness, that's what also makes it unique, but give me the traditional item use any day of the week. Damn near every time I died in that game, was because I didn't prepare for a battle with a specific enemy type I didn't see coming.

You can generally say the same thing for a lot of games. However, the way in which The Witcher 2 handles it's combat is clumsy. Dark Souls is precise and measured, where you feel a sense of feedback, in how you're learning as you go. You feel in control of the combat, despite the game kicking your teeth in the entire time. In the Witcher 2, you just feel like you're flailing about, and simply outlasting the enemies with no real strategy involved.

This isn't exactly some new revelation. The Witcher 2's combat is a stickler for a lot of people. You're free to disagree, but my complaint isn't exactly an uncommon one.

No, I'm well aware, which is why I clarified. Is "mash" what you're hung up on? Okay fine, you press the attack button frantically, when you see an opening. There is no grace to it, and it's simply not very fun because of that. It's also got other stupid issues, like not being able to use potions during combat, and having to blindly anticipate, and prepare for encounters. In fairness, that's what also makes it unique, but give me the traditional item use any day of the week. Damn near every time I died in that game, was because I didn't prepare for a battle with a specific enemy type I didn't see coming.

Criticizing the combat is one thing but button mashing was a silly thing to bring up. Everyone knows what button mashing means and the Witcher doesn't have that. If it did you wouldn't have to be worried about being prepared for enemies.

Seems like you just never mastered the combat and got frustrated and gave up. Once you figure out the mechanics the game becomes a lot easier (one of my main complaints about the game, it's too easy).

One thing to note is that if you aren't close enough to hit an enemy when you press the attack button, Geralt will compensate by leaping in the direction of the enemy and doing those spinning attacks. That's probably why you think you're flailing about. So either only attack when in range, or use it knowing its going to bring you in range. Another thing is to use Quen as often as possible. It practically breaks the game.

Criticizing the combat is one thing but button mashing was a silly thing to bring up. Everyone knows what button mashing means and the Witcher doesn't have that. If it did you wouldn't have to be worried about being prepared for enemies.

*sigh*

So I guess you're just going to ignore my clarifications on that.

Seems like you just never mastered the combat and got frustrated and gave up.

Nope, I beat the game. The combat is still shit.

One thing to note is that if you aren't close enough to hit an enemy when you press the attack button, Geralt will compensate by leaping in the direction of the enemy and doing those spinning attacks. That's probably why you think you're flailing about. So either only attack when in range, or use it knowing its going to bring you in range. Another thing is to use Quen as often as possible. It practically breaks the game.

Like I said, I beat the game. I know how to exploit the combat system, and win. What I'm saying is, that despite all that, I still think the combat is a bit of a mess.

Last edited:
The combat is not that good in TW2...it's serviceable and not too shabby considering it was their second release ever. Then again, I'm used to Eurojank rpgs and I had fun with it.

Combat in both TW2 and TW3 is poor mans version of Dark Souls, especially TW3, but try to play Dark Souls with similar gear like witcher (light armor, swords only) and see what kind of style will be optimal for character like this...

*sigh*

So I guess you're just going to ignore my clarifications on that.

You clarified that when you said button mashing you didn't mean button mashing. The onus is on you to use the right words to describe what you are talking about.

Clunky is a word I've seen other people use. Should've stuck with that.

Nope, I beat the game. The combat is still shit.

Like I said, I beat the game. I know how to exploit the combat system, and win. What I'm saying is, that despite all that, I still think the combat is a bit of a mess.

Odd because in your previous post you said you were flailing about, not in control, and dying because you were unprepared. They can't both be true. I was trying to help you out because it really sounds like you never figured the combat out.

You clarified that when you said button mashing you didn't mean button mashing. The onus is on you to use the right words to describe what you are talking about.

Which I did. Multiple times. You're just hung up on the literal sense that I used the term, and can't let it go for some reason.

Odd because in your previous post you said you were flailing about, not in control, and dying because you were unprepared. They can't both be true.

Sure it can. What I'm saying is that even when you figure it out, it still doesn't feel right and precise. It still feels like you're flailing about, even after you've learned how it all works, because it's not a very good combat system.

You can just say that you're a huge fanboy, and will never agree with my assessment of it's combat being garbage.

I haven't played Dark Souls, so I can't comment on any of that. The first game in that series was Demon Souls, is that correct? And is it availble on Xbox360 or was it a PS3 exclusive?

As I mentioned before I've been a gamer for decades but my focus in recent years has been very narrow, and so I've missed a lot of series. Trying to make a point of going back and playing some of them now.

Aren’t there mods designed to fix the combat?

Back