THE X-FILES Season 11 (Premieres January 3, 2018)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
THE X-FILES Revived Again for 10 New Episodes at Fox, New Promo Art Released

QPSSpG1.png

The truth is still out there, and Fox appears determined to find it. Little more than a year after the brief-but-successful return of The X Files, the network has firmed up plans for another limited revival.

Fox announced Thursday that The X-Files will return for the 2017-18 broadcast season with 10 new episodes. Stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are both signed on to reprise their roles as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. Creator and executive producer Chris Carter is on board as well. Fox executives have been vocal in their interest to produce more X-Files since the last year, but scheduling conflicts held up any official renewal.

Pricey as the vintage TV property may be, the 20th Century Fox TV production remains a favorite at both the network and the studio. Its revival averaged a 4.8 rating among adults 18-49 and 13.6 million viewers in live-plus-7 ratings — making it the No. 3 scripted show for the season behind Empire and The Big Bang Theory. Fox says an average 16 million viewers watched once multiplatform views were tallied.

For those keeping track, The X-Files is the clear ratings winner in Fox's streak of revivals, outpacing both iterations of 24 — the 2015 event series and spinoff Legacy — and the current brief stint for Prison Break.

The 2016 run of The X-Files was billed as self-contained, but the choice to end the episodes with a cliffhanger implied that additional episodes were an inevitability. It certainly helps matters that David Duchovny's latest full-time gig, NBC drama Aquarius, has since been canceled. Anderson, however, still has British import The Fall and Starz's upcoming American Gods adaptation.

Production for the new X-Files episodes is set to begin summer 2017. In the meantime, there's this new teaser art.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/x-files-revived-again-10-new-episodes-at-fox-996132

hm, tbh the limited return last year left me distinctly underwhelmed, apart from a few select scenes.

hoping the writing is better and duchovny doesn't mug as much for the camera.

more anderson cleavage is always welcome though.
tumblr_o1whuaopu01r9dm6no1_500.gif

Yay!

Hopefully they tone down the funny business of the last season.

awesome, should just return for a longer run and more seasons until we are all dead but that's just what i think

I like a bit of funny business with my x files. I thought the lizard guy was one of the best episodes from that season.
Well they have always had a bit of laughs on the show, but it wasn't so, umm, hammy(?) as the last season. It felt off. Though the lizard guy was a shining moment for that season.

hm, tbh the limited return last year left me distinctly underwhelmed, apart from a few select scenes.

Me too. Loved the were-monster episode though. Maybe they were just shaking the rust off and will find their groove again this season.

Really wish there was a way to get vince gilligan involved. And kim manners directing would be great but r.i.p. kim.

I do think Chris Carter should be hands off as much as possible. Guy had some moments but he's clearly turned out to be a hack. New, younger writers and directors that grew up with x files but have fresh new ideas and styles would be nice to see as well.

Ugh, just let it die. Please. The golden years are long past us.

Worst case scenario, they learn from the mistakes of the last season and do one, long, 10-episode story instead of individual episodes and cramming in a conspiracy in the last two.

Though with the likely outcome of the cliffhanger
(William piloting the UFO?)
I can't see this show getting any better.

*shrugs*

The comeback season was meh. Nothing I needed to see more of. I'll give them another chance to get it together though.

Me too. Loved the were-monster episode though. Maybe they were just shaking the rust off and will find their groove again this season.

Really wish there was a way to get vince gilligan involved. And kim manners directing would be great but r.i.p. kim.

I do think Chris Carter should be hands off as much as possible. Guy had some moments but he's clearly turned out to be a hack. New, younger writers and directors that grew up with x files but have fresh new ideas and styles would be nice to see as well.

Some of the monster of the week episodes are awesome, its like taking a break from serious shit and not take it too serious, i agree with you in the fact that a new young writers should be in on this, the x-files has endless room for creativity

I hope they just go the anthology route.

This is fine. Shut up if you disagree.

Personally, I'm happy to hear this. I was only a sporadic viewer when the show was originally airing, but I've always appreciated its contribution to TV history and I enjoyed the six-episode revival well enough.

One of these days I'll bite the bullet on starting the show from the very beginning and watching all the way through, but that just seems like such an overwhelming task.

Comeback was forced and corny as hell. Ill only check this out if they vastly improve it.

THE X-FILES Revived Again for 10 New Episodes at Fox, New Promo Art Released

The-X-Files-Revival-042017-Dragonlord.png

The truth is still out there, and Fox appears determined to find it. Little more than a year after the brief-but-successful return of The X Files, the network has firmed up plans for another limited revival.

Fox announced Thursday that The X-Files will return for the 2017-18 broadcast season with 10 new episodes. Stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are both signed on to reprise their roles as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. Creator and executive producer Chris Carter is on board as well. Fox executives have been vocal in their interest to produce more X-Files since the last year, but scheduling conflicts held up any official renewal.

Pricey as the vintage TV property may be, the 20th Century Fox TV production remains a favorite at both the network and the studio. Its revival averaged a 4.8 rating among adults 18-49 and 13.6 million viewers in live-plus-7 ratings — making it the No. 3 scripted show for the season behind Empire and The Big Bang Theory. Fox says an average 16 million viewers watched once multiplatform views were tallied.

For those keeping track, The X-Files is the clear ratings winner in Fox's streak of revivals, outpacing both iterations of 24 — the 2015 event series and spinoff Legacy — and the current brief stint for Prison Break.

The 2016 run of The X-Files was billed as self-contained, but the choice to end the episodes with a cliffhanger implied that additional episodes were an inevitability. It certainly helps matters that David Duchovny's latest full-time gig, NBC drama Aquarius, has since been canceled. Anderson, however, still has British import The Fall and Starz's upcoming American Gods adaptation.

Production for the new X-Files episodes is set to begin summer 2017. In the meantime, there's this new teaser art.

the_x-files_teaser_poster_-_publicity_-_embed_-_p_2017.jpg

Didnt they already revive it for 10 episodes? Why not just bring it back?

Personally, I'm happy to hear this. I was only a sporadic viewer when the show was originally airing, but I've always appreciated its contribution to TV history and I enjoyed the six-episode revival well enough.

One of these days I'll bite the bullet on starting the show from the very beginning and watching all the way through, but that just seems like such an overwhelming task.
DO IT!!

If anything, you can skip around, and pick and choose which episodee you wish to watch. First 5 seasons were just sooo damn fun.

Back