There appears to be several camps in Carlson Gracie lineage: 1) Those who formally are listed ...

From what I’ve noticed in Chicago is a huge percentage of black belts here have studied under Carlson sr and when he died many left and joined new affiliations due to the fact that they never trained with jr and didn’t feel comfortable with him teaching/running the team. The ones who did stay did out of respect for sr but don’t really have much to do with him.
My old instructor (whom I left due to time and travel issues) has shown me text conversations and emails between him and jr and I don’t blame him personally for leaving even though he loved sr like a dad.

From what I’ve noticed in Chicago is a huge percentage of black belts here have studied under Carlson sr and when he died many left and joined new affiliations due to the fact that they never trained with jr and didn’t feel comfortable with him teaching/running the team. The ones who did stay did out of respect for sr but don’t really have much to do with him.
My old instructor (whom I left due to time and travel issues) has shown me text conversations and emails between him and jr and I don’t blame him personally for leaving even though he loved sr like a dad.
Thank you for sharing. I've met Carlson Jr and like him immensely but what you describe confirms my own thoughts. I had the privelage of talking to black belts who came up along with Carlson Jr and though they did not plainly state their inability to accept or establish a BUSINESS relationship with him that is the impression I got. No one has EVER implied a dislike for him but it seemed(to me) that he is a little unforgiving and has either refused to reconcile with some who made overtures or has caused some to go their own way due to his demands, vision or conditions. As I hinted there have been some instances over the years where his absent leadership and/or support has been very noticeable.

Back