There have been great Lightweights in history. Where does Benny Leonard rank?

actjac

Down goes Frazuh...down goes Frazuh
@purple
Reaction score
"The Ghetto Wizard". Leonard was 89-6 with 70KOs in an era of just one champion and fighting more frequently than our current era. Julio Cesar Chavez, Pernell Whitaker, Hector Camacho, Manny Pacquiao, Henry Armstrong, Roberto Duran. Floyd Myweather Jr., Shane Mosley, Oscar De la Hoya are certainly on the list (and soon add Vasyl Lomachenko). Where would you rank Benny?

if you're bert sugar he ranks at the top, but his style looked outmoded to me which is to say he wouldn't cut it with more modern fighters.

I have him at 1 at lw...

Resume wise his wins are better than durans and slightly above ortiz

Eventually we may know the answer as technology, artificial intelligence and computer realities will allow broadcast quality and even arena virtual presentations of boxing tournaments such as these names.

If you were to resurrect Abe Lincoln, Washington or another one of the old US presidents like that you're likely to find they'd have loads of trouble even handling the job of being a mayor of a small village nevermind them being the president of a whole country like a modern United States. But does that stop Americans from calling those guys some of their greatest presidents in history?

that's why i have two ways of thinking of fighters, in context of their times and head to head. Head to head, alot of great fighters would have a lot of trouble in later eras. so, in context, they are great for what they accomplished but i'm not so sure they are so good that they'd beat later eras. Would Jack Dempsey be able to even compete with clubfighters of the last few decades? hard to answer that, doesn't really matter because he was great in his era.

that's why i have two ways of thinking of fighters, in context of their times and head to head. Head to head, alot of great fighters would have a lot of trouble in later eras. so, in context, they are great for what they accomplished but i'm not so sure they are so good that they'd beat later eras. Would Jack Dempsey be able to even compete with clubfighters of the last few decades? hard to answer that, doesn't really matter because he was great in his era.

I gave up compiling rankings long ago for a few reasons. But for me it's pretty simple. If your great then your great. If a fighter is proven to be great in his time then he's great for all time regardless of the era he fought in. They deserve that distinction I believe. A fighter like Benny Leonard doesn't have to prove he's great by beating a fighter like Roberto Duran. Or vice versa. And let's face it, we see what we perceive to be inferior fighter defeat what we think is the better fighter all the time in this sport. Yeah, we get our fight predictions right more often than we're wrong. Well except @Seano who's never wrong when it comes to that stuff. But we're still wrong quite often and that's in the age when there's tons of video footage and other information available on modern fighters that help us make those predictions. Fighters also have to be around at the same time to fight each other. I don't know how good a guy like Benny Leonard would be with modern teaching, training, diet, "supplements", etc. Just like I don't know how good Mayweather would be 100 years ago with the teaching, training, diet, fighting frequency, racial discrimination, etc., that existed back then. And to me it doesn't matter. They're both great and proved it in their own eras.

Ah, I don't even like these types of discussions when it comes to rankings. How one judges fighters in a historical sense should be their own thing. A lot of people use a so-called "resume" like what @XThe GreatestX referred to in the thread on McVey when trying to. What does "resume" even mean? Actually I know what people mean when they say "resume". But why is a "resume" limited to simply just a list of names (and often times incomplete with a lot of old fighters) based on what some record keeping site says? Why can't a fighter's accolades, awards, successes, testimonials, influence, etc., etc, all be included on a fighter's so-called "resume"? If a resume is something we do when we apply for a job, and if a fighter was applying for a job in boxing after his actual fighting career was over, does anyone here think his resume is only going to be limited to the opponents he fought and/or defeated? No, of course not. He's going to include whatever he can to make himself look in the brightest light possible.

And that's even including the fact that a simple result can fool people. A good name doesn't mean it was a positive result for a particular fighter. Especially when discussing fighters like McVey and other black fighters at least into the 1940's and even moreso when facing other black fighters. Often times that good name on a fighter's record was a negative performance regardless of what the official result says. Sometimes two black fighters would go after each other with real animosity back then and would try to give their best efforts for a few different reasons. But often times they wouldn't either. In fact it was more common not to just because there was a "gentlemen's agreement" of sorts when it came to the communities of black fighters. They tried to respect and protect each other in there just so both could go on to the next town in a couple of weeks and earn another dollar. Actually a lot of the animosity that took place in the first half of the 20th century with two black fighters was in retribution for one black fighter taking advantage of another black fighter in a previous meeting (and a lot of times it wasn't the same black fighter attempting retribution, but one of his friends). The "code" amongst black fighters was a real thing and lasted at least into the 1940's. Guys like Archie Moore, Eddie Booker, Bob Montgomery, Ike Williams, etc., all talked about it at one time or the other. A result meant nothing in a lot of fights back then. Often times that result came from a glorified sparring session where both fighters were slammed in the papers the next day for not giving nearly their best effort. A lot of times a result came after a fight in which one of the participants entered the ring with a broken hand, injured shoulder, a facial injury, or whatever due to them hurting themselves in a bout they had a week or two before, but because they needed the money they couldn't back out. Sometimes the decision was the wrong one or featured some kind of unfair officiating along those lines (just like nowadays but more frequent then). Sometimes a result was a straight up dive. And yes, sometimes a result was after both fighters came in ready and performed to the best of their ability. But a result by itself means very little when it comes to a lot of those old fighters. It's the details behind the result that matters. If a fighter back then got more credit and was considered to have performed better in a 'W 10' over a fighter that history has forgotten than that same 'W 10' result over a then-future HOF'er who is still remembered fondly today, who are we to sit here all these years later and say otherwise.

Top 3 with Duran and Ortiz, I guess.

It's hard to match guys head to head because of the evolution of the sport and the weight classes. What I mean to say is that they were fighting with basically oven mitts so they had to fight differently, whereas the more recent gloves are defensive tools in their own right to block punches. Long ago, fighters moved their heads a lot more, or feinted and were at range. The infighting with a smaller glove with not thumb attached affected how you manipulated a fighters arms. It was very different. Some would step in, punch and clutch (something Hopkins lifted from the old names of boxing).

Regarding weight classes, heavyweights before Liston would be LHW's or cruiserweights now. So if you do a HW from the 50s and before vs any heavyweight after you'd either have to change it to a old HW vs CW conversation (Jersey Joe vs Usyk for example), or...well, I'm not sure. It's a tough thing to theorize.

But, you asked a question about Leonard. Leonard has to be up there. So, in no particular order:

-Benny Leonard
- Roberto Duran
- Joe Gans
- Barney Ross, Tony Conzoneri, Jimmy McLarnin were all great LW's that fought in the same era so I'd pick one of them
- Henry Armstrong (maybe? I don't know much about him at LW, but he was a good FW if I recall correctly)

Ah, I don't even like these types of discussions when it comes to rankings. How one judges fighters in a historical sense should be their own thing. A lot of people use a so-called "resume" like what @XThe GreatestX referred to in the thread on McVey when trying to. What does "resume" even mean? Actually I know what people mean when they say "resume". But why is a "resume" limited to simply just a list of names (and often times incomplete with a lot of old fighters) based on what some record keeping site says? Why can't a fighter's accolades, awards, successes, testimonials, influence, etc., etc, all be included on a fighter's so-called "resume"? If a resume is something we do when we apply for a job, and if a fighter was applying for a job in boxing after his actual fighting career was over, does anyone here think his resume is only going to be limited to the opponents he fought and/or defeated? No, of course not. He's going to include whatever he can to make himself look in the brightest light possible.

And that's even including the fact that a simple result can fool people. A good name doesn't mean it was a positive result for a particular fighter. Especially when discussing fighters like McVey and other black fighters at least into the 1940's and even moreso when facing other black fighters. Often times that good name on a fighter's record was a negative performance regardless of what the official result says. Sometimes two black fighters would go after each other with real animosity back then and would try to give their best efforts for a few different reasons. But often times they wouldn't either. In fact it was more common not to just because there was a "gentlemen's agreement" of sorts when it came to the communities of black fighters. They tried to respect and protect each other in there just so both could go on to the next town in a couple of weeks and earn another dollar. Actually a lot of the animosity that took place in the first half of the 20th century with two black fighters was in retribution for one black fighter taking advantage of another black fighter in a previous meeting (and a lot of times it wasn't the same black fighter attempting retribution, but one of his friends). The "code" amongst black fighters was a real thing and lasted at least into the 1940's. Guys like Archie Moore, Eddie Booker, Bob Montgomery, Ike Williams, etc., all talked about it at one time or the other. A result meant nothing in a lot of fights back then. Often times that result came from a glorified sparring session where both fighters were slammed in the papers the next day for not giving nearly their best effort. A lot of times a result came after a fight in which one of the participants entered the ring with a broken hand, injured shoulder, a facial injury, or whatever due to them hurting themselves in a bout they had a week or two before, but because they needed the money they couldn't back out. Sometimes the decision was the wrong one or featured some kind of unfair officiating along those lines (just like nowadays but more frequent then). Sometimes a result was a straight up dive. And yes, sometimes a result was after both fighters came in ready and performed to the best of their ability. But a result by itself means very little when it comes to a lot of those old fighters. It's the details behind the result that matters. If a fighter back then got more credit and was considered to have performed better in a 'W 10' over a fighter that history has forgotten than that same 'W 10' result over a then-future HOF'er who is still remembered fondly today, who are we to sit here all these years later and say otherwise.
I do agree with a lot of what you said but i have always restricted all times rankings to simply

1. Who you beat
2. When you Beat them
3. How you beat them
4. Who you lost to
5. When you lost to them
6. How you lost to them

I do not include, talent, accomplishments, accolades etc etc, because that muddies the water to much for me.

Ever since the 60s when they split the titles (and than split them even further), titles mean nothing in these discussions because from that point on the 10th best ( or sometimes even worse) fighter in a division could be a “champion” with an alphabet title.

Seriously it actually sorta makes me wonder how many titles guys likw robinson, armstrong, walker etc etc would have collected if there were 4 titles in their day along with a litany of regional belts. Probably would need full size rooms to store them! So championships for me are out

Talent? Again far to subjective. Roy Jones threw his left hook with his feet off the ground for god sakes. But was it not absolutely and totally effective? I think so. Compare that to Tysons picture perfect left hook that sent a lot of guys to another dimension. They both worked right? Sure gauging talent can help somewhat to separate the nobodies but once we get to the great fighters in these rankings they were all talented at least for their own era.

Were there dives in pasts eras. Yeah. And of course you do your best to discount those. Maybe my way isn’t perfect but it makes it a bit easier imo.

I can at least say ok this guy beat that guy who was very formidable in the era because he beat this guy, this guy and this guy in their primes etc etc and seemed to be in his prime etc etc. so the first guy then has a pretty good win under his belt.

But truth be told i have no idea how the old timers would preform in this era. Perhaps they all get blasted in short order by todays club fighters lol

If you were to resurrect Abe Lincoln, Washington or another one of the old US presidents like that you're likely to find they'd have loads of trouble even handling the job of being a mayor of a small village nevermind them being the president of a whole country like a modern United States. But does that stop Americans from calling those guys some of their greatest presidents in history?
I think they'd be fine.
I might've agreed with you before the Trump Era.
But there is absolutely no way that he would know more then they would.
No way
And I'm not political, but lets be real.

But truth be told i have no idea how the old timers would preform in this era. Perhaps they all get blasted in short order by todays club fighters lol
Klitschko dominated for a decade, and all Fury had to do was come in and make faces at him and won the title.
The old school guys would have no issues.

Back