There is enough talent to make super lightweight (165) without destroying LW/WW

Considering the talent involved/presented, is super lightweight (165) a good move?

• Total voters
I’ve seen 165 mentioned a few times, and I like the idea. But what happens to WW? It stays 170? That’s what I don’t understand. Go from 155>165>170>185?

Doesn’t seem very logical. Jump 10 lbs, then 5lbs, then 15lbs. What the hell?

What about 155>165>175>190>205>265? What am I missing?
Are ppl this close minded? 165 means ww goes to 175

I still haven't seen a good argument against it.. besides that it would be too close to 170 lmao

There is no evidence to suggest also that making more weight classes will stop a bigger guy cutting down.
Mate.. there is many guys at 155 that don't want to be there, but they want to fight the giants at 170 either.. Is that simple. Many guys already spoke about it, Kevin Lee and James Vick being 2 of them. No one wants to keep dehydrating the shit of their bodies, but if that's the only way to keep competitive in the roster, that's what fighters will be doing. Opening 165 would give another option for big LWs and undersized WWs.

I still haven't seen a good argument against it.. besides that it would be too close to 170 lmao
Fuck man, these morons never learned how to read, it was clear in the thread.. I edited it, hopefully now people see it.

The most common and logical argument against new weight classes is that they dilute the talent pool, making divisions almost dead and killing the possibility of new contenders.

Important: this is a idea considering that UFC will probably move welterweight (170 lbs) to 175.
Therefore, UFC's divisions would be 155 > 165 > 175 > 185.
Lightweight > Super Lightweight > Welterweight > Middleweight.

Usually, i'd agree with that take and would be against it as well, but then i started doing some research using Bloody Elbow's UFC's roster list and other tools, and i found out that a new 165 lbs weight class wouldn't suffer of or cause such big problem, because right now there's 92 welterweights and 80 lightweights, inactive fighters removed.
This is more than enough to keep 3 divisions going, to keep all 3 competitive and to give healthier and safer options to fighters, decreasing the possibility of fight cancelations, bad weight cuts (which have a negative effect on the quality of fights) and improving the experience of fight fans.

I decided then to organize and i made a possible compilation/rankings based on the fighter's record and size, and i think most people will be surprised how good these 3 divisions will be, even from the beginning.

PS: These are UFC-only records.
PS²: I'm advocating in name of a 165 lbs division, not for 195 or 225. This is another conversation, totally different. Let's keep it specific please.

d80b85aab4ba853da8544206247cc696.png

e5dd201e66becb6910b79c64f09483ff.png
As long as they bump 170 to 175 yes.

No one fucking reads in Sherdog? For fucks sake, it's clear in my post that 170 would be moved to 175.

<Huh2>

TS! I just skimmed your OP. And I’m sorry. You deserved better.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but from my perspective it seems as if I keep hearing 165 brought up and no mention of the fact that it’s only 5 lbs from 170. So this was my moment to get some clarity on that.

can we think of a better name than"super lightweight"?

Fuck man, these morons never learned how to read, it was clear in the thread.. I edited it, hopefully now people see it.
I thought 165 was a common enough topic that everyone would know by now. It is accepted ww would go to 175..

When ppl say the U.S. they don't mean the United States of Brazil.

Edit. Not sure why I said the us thing, but meh, I'll leave it

Dumb idea. LW should have been 160 from the get go.

Get rid of women and children divisions first.

I don't mind adding a 165 pound weight class, and I feel super-lightweight is the only logical name for it. But I hate the idea of eliminating 170 lbs. or moving it to 175 lbs.because it would ruin the historical continuity of the welterweight weight class. I'd rather see them leave 155 lbs. lightweight as is, add a 165 lbs. super-lightweight division, leave 170 lbs. welterweight as it is, and add a 175 lbs. super-welterweight division as well. That leaves lightweight and welterweight as they are and adds two more belts for WME-IMG to put on posters.

I vote yes. There is definitely enough talent at LW and WW to fill another division, and enough dudes who are too small for WW but too big for LW - Nate, Diego, Cowboy, even (though he should retire) Penn

I'm in favor of more weight classes within reason. Also like to see changes to weight cutting rules that'll result in people in their more natural divisions. Which in turn should give us better fights due to the fighters being less depleted.

I don't mind adding a 165 pound weight class, and I feel super-lightweight is the only logical name for it. But I hate the idea of eliminating 170 lbs. or moving it to 175 lbs.because it would ruin the historical continuity of the welterweight weight class. I'd rather see them leave 155 lbs. lightweight as is, add a 165 lbs. super-lightweight division, leave 170 lbs. welterweight as it is, and add a 175 lbs. super-welterweight division as well. That leaves lightweight and welterweight as they are and adds two more belts for WME-IMG to put on posters.
Dan Hardy said the same thing, i understand this argument, but personally, i don't care for that. It would change to 5 lbs but keep the same name. I'm pretty sure back in the day LHW/MW used to be 200 lbs and under (when Shamrock was the defending champ), then they changed it to 185-205 and kept the name.

I’m usually against new weight classes but it might work since there is a dearth of talent at that size and a lot of guys that don’t fit well to 55 or 70

Nope.

Even as a diehard GSP fan. And knowing that one more belt cements his legacy as teh GOAT.

I’m not interested. It sounds like more fuckery from this UFC shitshow. And I’m not for it.

However, if these assholes actually do it. There is a very real possibility that GSP could snag four different belts. That is beyond badass.

Back