There is enough talent to make super lightweight (165) without destroying LW/WW

Considering the talent involved/presented, is super lightweight (165) a good move?

• Total voters
Everyone keeps talking about the depth at LW and WW yet how often are the best fighters avoiding each other in these divisions adding a 3rd only means more ways to duck and meaningless titles.

No one fucking reads in Sherdog? For fucks sake, it's clear in my post that 170 would be moved to 175.

<Huh2>
Yeah, some people don't read. It sure would make a lot of sense to have all the classes with 10lbs appart. It's a complete nonsense this: 155-170-185-205.

Not right now

They couldn’t get the champ to fight

They couldn’t get the #1 and #2 guys to fight

The champ just got the title basically because there was no one to fight

Important: this is a idea considering that UFC will probably move welterweight (170 lbs) to 175.
Therefore, UFC's divisions would be 155 > 165 > 175 > 185.
Lightweight > Super Lightweight > Welterweight > Middleweight.

The most common and logical argument against new weight classes is that they dilute the talent pool, making divisions almost dead and killing the possibility of new contenders.

Usually, i'd agree with that take and would be against it as well, but then i started doing some research using Bloody Elbow's UFC's roster list and other tools, and i found out that a new 165 lbs weight class wouldn't suffer of or cause such big problem, because right now there's 92 welterweights and 80 lightweights, inactive fighters removed.
This is more than enough to keep 3 divisions going, to keep all 3 competitive and to give healthier and safer options to fighters, decreasing the possibility of fight cancelations, bad weight cuts (which have a negative effect on the quality of fights) and improving the experience of fight fans.

I decided then to organize and i made a possible compilation/rankings based on the fighter's record and size, and i think most people will be surprised how good these 3 divisions will be, even from the beginning.

PS: These are UFC-only records.
PS²: I'm advocating in name of a 165 lbs division, not for 195 or 225. This is another conversation, totally different. Let's keep it specific please.

d80b85aab4ba853da8544206247cc696.png

e5dd201e66becb6910b79c64f09483ff.png
LW and WW are stacked because they are separated as they are. This will dilute it horribly and make them less competitive.

The last thing we need is more divisions and more diluted cards and (you know this will happen) more interim titles.

...more fighters asking for super fights before they've earned them, fucking challengers in their divions while they call out other fighters from other divisions...

Dear god no. We don't need boxing style politics that males it even harder to see the best fighters fight the best.

Important: this is a idea considering that UFC will probably move welterweight (170 lbs) to 175.

The most common and logical argument against new weight classes is that they dilute the talent pool, making divisions almost dead and killing the possibility of new contenders.

Usually, i'd agree with that take and would be against it as well, but then i started doing some research using Bloody Elbow's UFC's roster list and other tools, and i found out that a new 165 lbs weight class wouldn't suffer of or cause such big problem, because right now there's 92 welterweights and 80 lightweights, inactive fighters removed.
This is more than enough to keep 3 divisions going, to keep all 3 competitive and to give healthier and safer options to fighters, decreasing the possibility of fight cancelations, bad weight cuts (which have a negative effect on the quality of fights) and improving the experience of fight fans.

I decided then to organize and i made a possible compilation/rankings based on the fighter's record and size, and i think most people will be surprised how good these 3 divisions will be, even from the beginning.

PS²: I'm advocating in name of a 165 lbs division, not for 195 or 225. This is another conversation, totally different. Let's keep it specific please.

125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, 215 and be rid of the fat fucks lol. It might help justify the ridiculous size of the UFC roster and go a long way to guys fighting at their optimal weight. It could also help weight cutting rules being introduced, it would be great to see the beat fighter win rather than the better weight cutter

hell no, WW is actually thin as hell now compared to a while back

Lawler, Cerrone, Maia are all on their way out of the game and out of their prime. There's not really young talented guys coming up either. Thompson and Woodley are both over 35.

yeah it would work, but UFC needs to go back to real championship rankings and real belts instead of divsion-jumping 'superfights' that put everyone else on hold and interim belts

but instead of this UFC makes more WMMA divisions than have only 2 legit fighters

The weights should be 125, 133, 142, 152, 163, 175, 189, 206

Not a fan of adding more weight divisions personally

biggest one needed is 2 HW classes, 206-235 and 236-who da fuck knows

Let GSP gorilla slam Conor for the 165 title.

When you see a fighter like Rustam Khabilov on a 5 fight win streak and not even talked to be on the top 15 let alone contention, you understand that the division is too crowded

So yeah i'm all for 165 and setting WW to 175

The issue is the division will full of guys who couldn't cut it at 155 and 170 no disrespect but somebody like cowboy would be the champion couldn't win the championship at 55 or 70.

Based on your proposed rankings and fighters in each weight class, it looks like lightweight and middleweight are pretty much unaffected.

What this does is split the welterweight division in two - those who have an easy weight cut go to 165, and those larger welterweights that already have a tough cut to 170 move up to 175.

Did I miss something?

I agree in a way, however it does allow a lot of talented kids to get a spotlight they deserve over say, shitty wmma or hw fights. Like Trinaldo went on an amazing streak with little attention whereas had that happened in a thinner division he’d have a ts for sure.

I’m not for it, but I don’t mind it either

LW and WW are stacked because they are separated as they are. This will dilute it horribly and make them less competitive.

The last thing we need is more divisions and more diluted cards and (you know this will happen) more interim titles.

...more fighters asking for super fights before they've earned them, fucking challengers in their divions while they call out other fighters from other divisions...

Dear god no. We don't need boxing style politics that males it even harder to see the best fighters fight the best.
The reason so many interim titles are happening is because UFC needs more title fights in their cards, so if they add another division, it will REDUCE the number of interims, not increase, because then they have more real titles to make cards stacked. Also.. did you see my lists? These aren't 3 competitive divisions? There isn't enough contenders/top fighters? Lol

hell no, WW is actually thin as hell now compared to a while back

Lawler, Cerrone, Maia are all on their way out of the game and out of their prime. There's not really young talented guys coming up either. Thompson and Woodley are both over 35.
WW is thin? There is 92 fighters and there's guys 6-2, 7-2 and 5-1 outside the top 15 who are really good, lol. There's many young talented guys coming up, like Leon Edwards, Jake Matthews, Vicente Luque, Niko Price, you just isn't paying enough attention.
Not a fan of adding more weight divisions personally

biggest one needed is 2 HW classes, 206-235 and 236-who da fuck knows
That makes no sense. Why you would split the WORST division of the sport in 2? For fucks sake..
The issue is the division will full of guys who couldn't cut it at 155 and 170 no disrespect but somebody like cowboy would be the champion couldn't win the championship at 55 or 70.
What's the problem? Maybe he's losing so much because he is undersized at 170 (he is) and the weight cut is too much for 155, it's the case of many guys like RDA, Masvidal, Cerrone..
Based on your proposed rankings and fighters in each weight class, it looks like lightweight and middleweight are pretty much unaffected.

What this does is split the welterweight division in two - those who have an easy weight cut go to 165, and those larger welterweights that already have a tough cut to 170 move up to 175.

Did I miss something?
Yes. Some small middleweights like Kelvin Gastelum, Brad Scott, Jack Marshman etc would move to 175, while some enormous lightweights like Kevin Lee, James Vick, Nate Diaz, Gilbert Burns etc would move to 155. It would affect LW a lot.

165, 195 and 225 and that's it. But people will get mad.
<StannisFrown>

WW is thin? There is 92 fighters and there's guys 6-2, 7-2 and 5-1 outside the top 15 who are really good, lol. There's many young talented guys coming up, like Leon Edwards, Jake Matthews, Vicente Luque, Niko Price, you just isn't paying enough attention.
That makes no sense. Why you would split the WORST division of the sport in 2? For fucks sake..
What's the problem? Maybe he's losing so much because he is undersized at 170 (he is) and the weight cut is too much for 155, it's the case of many guys like RDA, Masvidal, Cerrone..
Yes. Some small middleweights like Kelvin Gastelum, Brad Scott, Jack Marshman etc would move to 175, while some enormous lightweights like Kevin Lee, James Vick, Nate Diaz, Gilbert Burns etc would move to 155. It would affect LW a lot.

how does it not make sense? there is a 65 pound weight difference between 206 and 265 that is insane compared to 155 and 170 which is 15 pounds?

how does it not make sense? there is a 65 pound weight difference between 206 and 265 that is insane compared to 155 and 170 which is 15 pounds?
No one at heavyweight is 206lbs. Every single heavyweight in UFC walks around 230+ lbs, so the difference from a small HW (230-240 lbs) to a big one is about 35 or 45 (if he cuts weight) lbs, not 60 lbs (65 would be if the lmit was 270, following your logic).
If you are a 220 lbs fighter, you are fighting at LHW.

Anyway, there isn't enough talent at heavyweight to split it, simple as that.

Back