There is enough talent to make super lightweight (165) without destroying LW/WW

Considering the talent involved/presented, is super lightweight (165) a good move?

• Total voters
We don't need more weight classes and more belts.

The current LW and WW divisions are inactive as it is. Adding more weight classes would just dilute the divisions and make belts meaningless.

The reason so many interim titles are happening is because UFC needs more title fights in their cards, so if they add another division, it will REDUCE the number of interims, not increase, because then they have more real titles to make cards stacked. Also.. did you see my lists? These aren't 3 competitive divisions? There isn't enough contenders/top fighters? Lol
You think current UFC matchmaking wouldn't make more interim titles if there was a division between LW and WW?? Lol, are you kidding me? They're doing everything they can to make more title fights.

You say they NEED more title fights...lol that's a joke. They WANT more title fights, and magically creating a new division for no reason gives them that opportunity. Along with more interim opportunities. Don't be naive.

Your lists turned two super incredibly competitive divisions into three decently competitive divisions.

That's not better. It's actually significantly worse.

It keeps the best from fighting the best, by running to another division that both can reasonably make.

It's a horrible idea.

MMA doesn't need more divisions. Less would be better, but it's ok as is.

If they changed welterweight to 175 it's fine. If not it's stupid

Maybe i'm just used to how it is, I think it's a pretty good distribution with the current weight classes. I think in 10 years after the sport has grown, ufc can then cut the weight classes up some.
What if ufc started at 125 and went up in 7.5 increments when the time is right.

Alves would be perfect for 165 right now, although I still think it's a bad idea.

On first thought, I am against due to diluting the talent pool.

But actually, a smaller weight difference between lighter weight classes actually makes sense because the difference percentage wise is bigger. Where exactly the jumps should be 10/15/20 pounds I dunno, probably a UFC stats guy needs to crunch the numbers.

I think if 165 is being considered, they should review all the weight classes, like a 225 cruiserweight.

One or two extra weight classes gives the UFC more champs and title fights to hype. So I wouldn't be too surprised if they did add some.

We don't need more weight classes and more belts.

The current LW and WW divisions are inactive as it is. Adding more weight classes would just dilute the divisions and make belts meaningless.
so inactive they have 3 lw champs, and about to have 2 ww champs.

Guys like RDA, Cerone, and Gunner Nelson will do great in this division.

It just aint fair to have these guys go against Darren Till. Dude is wayyy too big.

You think current UFC matchmaking wouldn't make more interim titles if there was a division between LW and WW?? Lol, are you kidding me? They're doing everything they can to make more title fights.

You say they NEED more title fights...lol that's a joke. They WANT more title fights, and magically creating a new division for no reason gives them that opportunity. Along with more interim opportunities. Don't be naive.

Your lists turned two super incredibly competitive divisions into three decently competitive divisions.

That's not better. It's actually significantly worse.

It keeps the best from fighting the best, by running to another division that both can reasonably make.

It's a horrible idea.

MMA doesn't need more divisions. Less would be better, but it's ok as is.
No, that's not right, if UFC really WANTED more titles, they would've made one for Edgar-Ortega and would have this 5 round fight headlining UFC 222 instead of the Cyborg-Kunitskaya mismatch. They NEED more titles, if Cyborg hadn't fought, ONLY them they would've gone with a interim featherweight belt.
More divisions = more real belts = less NEED of interim shit.

And agree to disagree as far as my lists, imo these are 3 incredibly stacked divisions, right now we have 2 OVER STACKED weight classes, where guys on huge and phenomenal win streaks don't get enough attention because they aren't ranked, and also we've guys like Cerrone, Alves, Nelson, James Vick, even Kevin Lee performing worse than they should because of cutting too much weight and/or size disadvantage.
On first thought, I am against due to diluting the talent pool.

But actually, a smaller weight difference between lighter weight classes actually makes sense because the difference percentage wise is bigger. Where exactly the jumps should be 10/15/20 pounds I dunno, probably a UFC stats guy needs to crunch the numbers.

I think if 165 is being considered, they should review all the weight classes, like a 225 cruiserweight.

One or two extra weight classes gives the UFC more champs and title fights to hype. So I wouldn't be too surprised if they did add some.
There's not enough talent at heavyweight and light heavyweight to make a in-between division. The only reason i support 165 is because LW/WW are stacked, as i demonstrated.
Alves would be perfect for 165 right now, although I still think it's a bad idea.
Why? We would have 3 good divisions..

The reading comprehension in this thread was scary bad.

I think this is a move that is long over due. I could be wrong, but it seems like WW has more missed weights than all the other divisions combined, and it's easy to see why as the gap is just so large.

Sure we don't need a 165 lbs division.. let's just close our eyes to the enormous amount of fighters missing at 155 and 170.

Back