These old school NES games are hard!!!!

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Just bought the NES classic for my gfs bday and these games are all incredibly difficult. From Mario, Zelda, Punch out....etc. I don't remember hen being so difficult. Can't get passed the first stage in a lot of them. Not sure how I played these as a kid lol

Last edited:
That's part of their beauty. Games had to rely on re-playability because they didn't have the gimmick of graphics to distract and "carry" the game. Memorization and patience were big in old games and it forced you to become "good". Also a lot of NES games and older games in general were ported from Arcade games so the idea was to make them brutally difficult as to force the player to insert another coin...

LoL. Great gift you bought for "her".

But yeah, I played Contra not too long ago. That shit isn't easy.

Some NES games are hard due to bad design.
The ones you listed aren't though.

They upped the difficulty because they couldn't make games with 50 to 100 hours of content like now.

Growing up in the NES era I do find a lot of stuff too easy these days.

I'm having the same problem. Can't beat shit

The challenge is part of the "fun" because the games are meant to be short and challenging. Outside of the RPGs, most of the games can be be beaten in around an hour so the replay value had to come with the challenge. You just have to change your mindset when playing NES and Genesis games before it became more about story and length.

You're supposed to keep trying over and over until you get a pattern right, learn a stage, etc. It's hard to have the patience for that these days.

The challenge is part of the "fun" because the games are meant to be short and challenging. Outside of the RPGs, most of the games can be be beaten in around an hour so the replay value had to come with the challenge. You just have to change your mindset when playing NES and Genesis games before it became more about story and length.

You're supposed to keep trying over and over until you get a pattern right, learn a stage, etc. It's hard to have the patience for that these days.
Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the hell out of them

With romming now dead my only chance is to wait wait for Nintendon't to release this oldest games as collection edition in their current line of advance consoles but there is just so many many many roms out there.

Just bought the NES classic for my gfs bday and these games are all incredibly difficult. From Mario, Zelda, Punch out....etc. I don't remember hen being so difficult. Can't get tpassee the first stage in a lot of them. Not sure how I played these as a kid lol
My wife got one for the kid.

I never had a Nintendo growing up so only played them a little I was a Sega guy.

Played mega man and contra when they went to bed the other day. Holy shit lol.

They play the hell out of Mario and donkey Kong.

I just recently played through sonic again, had to show them how it’s done lol.

I just bought the Sega Genesis Collection on PS4/Xbox. I had one as a kid and loved it but put most of my money and time into the SNES. It's nice going back and being able to play a lot of the games I didn't get and finally beat them.

Looking on it with modern eyes, Genesis games just feel like NES games with better graphics and sound. They all seem pretty short and a lot are really challenging. It makes me appreciate the Genesis a lot more and how drastically things changed when SNES came around. It became more about the experience, storyline and length rather than a quick game experience.

One thing I love though is they have a rewind and fast forward feature. Get hit, just rewind with the L trigger. Yeah, it's cheap but if you just want to play and beat the game or learn the patterns, it's great. The Mega Man Legacy Collection also has the same feature.

I just bought the Sega Genesis Collection on PS4/Xbox. I had one as a kid and loved it but put most of my money and time into the SNES. It's nice going back and being able to play a lot of the games I didn't get and finally beat them.

Looking on it with modern eyes, Genesis games just feel like NES games with better graphics and sound. They all seem pretty short and a lot are really challenging. It makes me appreciate the Genesis a lot more and how drastically things changed when SNES came around. It became more about the experience, storyline and length rather than a quick game experience.

One thing I love though is they have a rewind and fast forward feature. Get hit, just rewind with the L trigger. Yeah, it's cheap but if you just want to play and beat the game or learn the patterns, it's great. The Mega Man Legacy Collection also has the same feature.

I am a Sega Mega guy growing up! I will always cry when people say SNES is better than the Genesis/Mega but after seeing the Emulators I finally learned to accept it.

First the colors and like you said the over all gameplay is boosted on Sness.

I am a Sega Mega guy growing up! I will always cry when people say SNES is better than the Genesis/Mega but after seeing the Emulators I finally learned to accept it.

First the colors and like you said the over all gameplay is boosted on Sness.

I actually had both, but which port was better depends on the game. I can think of a few that were REALLY bad on the SNES.

A lot of the old NES gamers were legit, but let's not get carried away with apples to oranges.

The difficulty slider is a paradigm shift, and the hardest setting on almost any modern game makes the SP campaign more difficult than all but the most brutal of those old NES games.

I remember that beating Mario 3 was a nightmare. World 8 does not mess around. And I don't think I ever completed the original Mario.

I actually had both, but which port was better depends on the game. I can think of a few that were REALLY bad on the SNES.

Some people say the Mortal Kombat ports are better on the gennie.

I would say Street Fighter 2 is about equal but some say gennie is better for that game.

A lot of the old NES gamers were legit, but let's not get carried away with apples to oranges.

The difficulty slider is a paradigm shift, and the hardest setting on almost any modern game makes the SP campaign more difficult than all but the most brutal of those old NES games.

What is the SP campaign?

I remember that beating Mario 3 was a nightmare. World 8 does not mess around. And I don't think I ever completed the original Mario.
Spent hours on in last night. Couldn't get past the last ship

Back