These old school NES games are hard!!!!

A lot of the old NES gamers were legit, but let's not get carried away with apples to oranges.

The difficulty slider is a paradigm shift, and the hardest setting on almost any modern game makes the SP campaign more difficult than all but the most brutal of those old NES games.
If games were nearly unbeatable like back in the day, nowadays, nobody will buy them. The reason i have and will never play Bioshock is you can die as much as you want and your progress is saved. There is no penalty for sucking

Just bought the NES classic for my gfs bday and these games are all incredibly difficult. From Mario, Zelda, Punch out....etc. I don't remember hen being so difficult. Can't get passed the first stage in a lot of them. Not sure how I played these as a kid lol

It’s not that they are hard persay I think games are more complex these days and it is hard for us to just switch back to simple games lol I was also like you too man I was like da fuck is wrong with me when I couldn’t KO glass joe in round one lol

That's part of their beauty. Games had to rely on re-playability because they didn't have the gimmick of graphics to distract and "carry" the game. Memorization and patience were big in old games and it forced you to become "good". Also a lot of NES games and older games in general were ported from Arcade games so the idea was to make them brutally difficult as to force the player to insert another coin...

I like this a lot better lol

i was stuck on the block guy in megaman and my brother came in and destroyed him in 2 seconds then dropped the controller and was out

I bought mega man legacy collection a few days ago cause it was on sale and tried it last night. struggled mightily beating the first boss and had to restart through woodman level. I was like.. hmmm this game was a lot easier to me back then... the lag input was noticeable too... not as responsive.. or maybe it was just me.

Still haven't beaten the first Castlevania aka "Ninja Gaiden with dogshit physics."

How da fuck can anyone beat Castlevania II without a cheat guide? Some of the shit you had to do to reach certain areas were like... WHA?!...

How da fuck can anyone beat Castlevania II without a cheat guide? Some of the shit you had to do to reach certain areas were like... WHA?!...
what a horrible night to have a curse

simon's quest sucked shit. that made me so angry.

If games were nearly unbeatable like back in the day, nowadays, nobody will buy them. The reason i have and will never play Bioshock is you can die as much as you want and your progress is saved. There is no penalty for sucking

Because games had such bad production values back in the day. So making them difficult was one of the few ways to make them interesting.

Nowadays we are playing pretty much interactive movies/comic books. Nobody wants to pay for a game and not be able to finish it.

It'd be like buying a movie and halfway through they quiz you on it, and if you dont ace the quiz you dont get to watch the end of the movie

LoL. Great gift you bought for "her".

But yeah, I played Contra not too long ago. That shit isn't easy.
Thank god for the 30 lives cheat in Contra

what a horrible night to have a curse

simon's quest sucked shit. that made me so angry.
To this day I remember DY31 LXDY W45X TGJX .. which is the best code in the game that gives you all the weapons, garlic, dracula parts, etc... As you can tell, played the shit out of that game.

To this day I remember DY31 LXDY W45X TGJX .. which is the best code in the game that gives you all the weapons, garlic, dracula parts, etc... As you can tell, played the shit out of that game.

i just borrowed it from a friend for a weekend. never could get past the mountain or whatever (didn't know i was supposed to stand there and wait for a minute or whatever that awful secret/mechanic was).

that code's not nearly as easy to remember as justin bailey...

My g/f got my kid a mini snes, they play the crap out of Mario and donkey Kong country on it.

That game kicks my ass. I’m just past vulture culture, after that I keep messing up

Yeah some stages are very hard, the one with the ice gave me even more trouble. Good thing you can save from each position. I'm past that part I'm about 42% through now. It's such a fun game so varied and creative!

You can turn that off in the options. I usually do. However it rezzes you with a tiny bit of health so it's not really like being invincible. If you die with low ammo a hard respawn is probably actually easier.

You can turn that off in the options. I usually do. However it rezzes you with a tiny bit of health so it's not really like being invincible. If you die with low ammo a hard respawn is probably actually easier.
a good video game makes you hate it and never want to play it again.

same goes for women.

There are a lot of old NES games that I played religiously as a kid that I still fire up and demolish from time to time, like Bionic Commando or SMB2.

The turbo tunnel in Battletoads is something I can still do easily, and find it funny how so many people reminisce about how hard it was, or how they could never beat it. That level is a complete joke compared to rat race or clinger winger, it takes me dozens of attempts to beat those two levels using an emulator and save state scumming, as a kid I remember that I actually managed to get that far without a Game Genie only once, merely because I got lucky with the level warps and farmed extra lives hitting birds on the rope descent level.

The turbo tunnel is merely the point where most people gave up. That's why it's remembered so much. Few people ever got to the pure hell after that stage.

Sure new games you can toggle difficulty and crank up the difficulty, but that's a setting. NES games defaulted hard and it was marketed primarily to children. Perhaps the devs made it hard knowing we'd grow up and learn the intricacies of the game. But playing some of the games as a kid was maddening. Those devs were sadistic.

The turbo tunnel is merely the point where most people gave up. That's why it's remembered so much. Few people ever got to the pure hell after that stage.

The next 2 levels are easy, the snake level is a challenge but mistakes don't always mean instant death, just attempting it again. the 3 levels after that aren't too bad either, but the two stages before the last (rat race & clinger winger) are merciless... Rat race takes both skill and luck, Clinger is like having to do the Turbo tunnel start to finish without dying.

I beat the turbo tunnel again a few weeks ago. Didn't get much further after that.

LoL. Great gift you bought for "her".

But yeah, I played Contra not too long ago. That shit isn't easy.

Yea like someone mentioned before a lot of games were brought over from arcade and made so difficult to keep you spending quarters.

Yeah some stages are very hard, the one with the ice gave me even more trouble. Good thing you can save from each position. I'm past that part I'm about 42% through now. It's such a fun game so varied and creative!

I tried to play mega man and contra again on it the other day.

I don’t remember that shit being that hard!!

Need an original Metroid.

Back