They can see my jab coming

This was brought up by another poster last week. I'll say the same I said then, you use your feet to pursue. Rarely does things stay stationary. you throw, he's gonna back step by a bit or move his head out of the way. So you'll have to use a pursuit combination.

And for reflexes, yes it is common to retaliate and react on strikes. Its the basics you have put into you when striking. Retaliate ASAP never letting more than 3 strikes get off on you.

You'll have to work on your technique in the clinch. When you do it well, you won't be tossed around effortlessly. Clinching is grappling, you're putting the opponent in a position where they're weak and you're strong.

If this is MT clinching, the game is getting them nervous and off balanced, when they're off balanced, you strike them making things much shitter for them. Its still grappling, just a different form, its not strange special foreign voodoo.

For dealing with heavier bigger dudes, you'll have to use angles. Look at yourselves like cars. He's a F150, you're a Civic or Corolla, going head to head will not end well in your favor. Take angles so when you strike you T-bone or derail them.
Muchos gracias. I dunno what happened with the clinch thing. I just got close to this dude and the next thing I knew I was on the ground, my arms never even made it around the back of his head or anything. I'll try what you said with the angles, I think that was lacking last night as well... My worry is my jab will be seen as such a Non-Threat, that guys quit reacting to it, thereby failing in the setup of anything else that will actually do some damage

I think my foot was a huge giveaway. I wasn't rearing back or anything so I think that was a big part of it. I'll try to take smaller steps and time it out better.. Without putting at least a little step into it, though, I don't know why anyone would bother to react cuz it sure as shit ain't gonna hurt. Or is it a common reflex for fighters to react to a punch even if it looks (is) measly? My straight right is decent but I can't seem to get in range to land it

The trip hammer jab without a step has been around forever, it's very useful. You don't have to hurt a guy with every jab. It's at least as useful for disrupting his offense and setting up your power strikes. And you can still put some weight behind it without stepping just by dropping your center of gravity or shifting your weight as you punch.

Another thing to work on: when you step as you jab, you can start throwing the punch before you start the step (or at the same time). You might not cover the same amount of ground but it's less of a telegraph. In general, jabs are most useful when you mix up the rhythm and power, paw some and pop some, sometimes throw one and sometimes 2-3, throw them to the body, etc. Just stepping and jabbing over and over in the same fashion is going to make you really easy to counter.

The trip hammer jab without a step has been around forever, it's very useful. You don't have to hurt a guy with every jab. It's at least as useful for disrupting his offense and setting up your power strikes. And you can still put some weight behind it without stepping just by dropping your center of gravity or shifting your weight as you punch.

Another thing to work on: when you step as you jab, you can start throwing the punch before you start the step (or at the same time). You might not cover the same amount of ground but it's less of a telegraph. In general, jabs are most useful when you mix up the rhythm and power, paw some and pop some, sometimes throw one and sometimes 2-3, throw them to the body, etc. Just stepping and jabbing over and over in the same fashion is going to make you really easy to counter.
Wow man, you got light bulbs going off in my head big time. Thank you very much for the insights.
"And you can still put some weight behind it without stepping just by dropping your center of gravity or shifting your weight as you punch." - That's good stuff. Got me thinking, thank you!

fu7cpUW.gif

Hammer Jab?
Or are you talking something else? Couldn't find much on the Youtubes

fu7cpUW.gif

Hammer Jab?
Or are you talking something else? Couldn't find much on the Youtubes

No, a trip hammer jab is just a way of referring to a jab that comes straight out from your guard with very little if any foot or body movement. It's just a fast, disruptive jab mostly meant to get something in his face and test his reactions.

Apparently, after doing some reasearch, the term 'trip hammer' jab is usually used to describe a downward jab meant to clear the gloves (though not quite a hammer fist). It seems the most common term for what I'm describing is a flicker jab. Fast, repetitive, very little power, but very annoying and good for disrupting your opponent and opening up your own offense.

No, a trip hammer jab is just a way of referring to a jab that comes straight out from your guard with very little if any foot or body movement. It's just a fast, disruptive jab mostly meant to get something in his face and test his reactions.

Apparently, after doing some reasearch, the term 'trip hammer' jab is usually used to describe a downward jab meant to clear the gloves (though not quite a hammer fist). It seems the most common term for what I'm describing is a flicker jab. Fast, repetitive, very little power, but very annoying and good for disrupting your opponent and opening up your own offense.
Right on. I'm looking up different ways to throw the jab now. I think just having some variation will help make me a little less predictable. I got some decent moves against guys my skill-level when my jab is working. Top level dudes still play me like a fiddle tho. This forum's helping a ton, at least with how I approach and think about my jab. Thank you!

Right on. I'm looking up different ways to throw the jab now. I think just having some variation will help make me a little less predictable. I got some decent moves against guys my skill-level when my jab is working. Top level dudes still play me like a fiddle tho. This forum's helping a ton, at least with how I approach and think about my jab. Thank you!

Sure thing. I assume you've looked at the Magical Jabs sticky already...

Nah, what's that?

Sticky threads are the threads at the top of the forum page. One of them is called 'Magical Jabs'. I strongly suggest you read through that if you're interested in diversifying your jabbing.

Muchos gracias. I dunno what happened with the clinch thing. I just got close to this dude and the next thing I knew I was on the ground, my arms never even made it around the back of his head or anything. I'll try what you said with the angles, I think that was lacking last night as well... My worry is my jab will be seen as such a Non-Threat, that guys quit reacting to it, thereby failing in the setup of anything else that will actually do some damage
Sounds like he dumped you

Muangthai-Pokkaew-Aug-5-2014-4.-entangle-hands-push-forward-and-dump.gif

for the jab, its not like it has to be like that forever, mix in stiff jabs with set up jabs.

Actually one thing I like to do in my fights is at the start of the bell, immediately crack him with a hard stiff jab, because it messes with them big time. Basically they end up thinking "if his fastest and weakest strike did that, WTF is gonna happen if he throws something real?" and in that state they just end up in defense without going on offense. Can't win a fight if you aren't on the attack.

Last edited:
Sounds like he dumped you

Muangthai-Pokkaew-Aug-5-2014-4.-entangle-hands-push-forward-and-dump.gif

for the jab, its not like it has to be like that forever, mix in stiff jabs with set up jabs.

Actually one thing I like to do in my fights is at the start of the bell immediate crack him with a hard stiff jab, because it messes with them big time. Basically they end up thinking "if his fastest and weakest strike did that, WTF is gonna happen if he throws something real?" and in that state they just end up in defense without going on offense. Can't win a fight if you aren't on the attack.
I like it. If you get him fearing/respecting your power jab upfront, seems like that'd improve the success of your setup jab too, cuz he won't know which one is coming. Right on

Back