Things are getting awkward at my gym

I feigned ignorance for a nogi semi- final match so my team mate can proceed to the finals directly, I won my 1st match. I was bumped up a weightclass because there were no competitors in my division. I supposed it would be better if he gets the gold for the division he signed up with & because I already won the gold for gi in my division. Then he thanked me after he got his gold & told me that it was good we didn't faced each other because he didn't want to subbed me. Now that was awkward. My eyebrows raised. I'm still chuckling when I remember that moment.

LOL priceless

Yesterday I checked the line up and it was only me him and another guy signed up. This morning I checked again (last night was the deadline to sign up) and we are now 10 in our bracket. Now all we need to do is secure 1st and second place ;-)
Hopefully you two don't get matched up first. Would be funny if you competed against each other twice (gi and no-gi)

But this isn't too uncommon in grappling tournaments.
Along with a bracket blowing up with competitors the night before. Last event that was here, some guys even just walked in on the day of, and enrolled. 170lb division went from 2 people to 15 in a day and a half.

In local tournaments, competing against team mates is normal. My first tournament as a purple belt, I faced three guys I train with; it wasn't a big deal.

Competition is inherently selfish, it shouldn't matter who's standing across from you.

One thing I would do is talk about the elephant in the room. After the tournament you guys need to train still.

I have gone up to guys from my school that were in the same weight class while we were at practice and said. Hey man. If you beat me at the tournament I will not have any hard feelings and just hope we are still cool after. They usually say say totally (I'm from CA). Then I say I hope it's the same way if I win. The usually say yes.

It just gets rid of what everyone is thinking.

Then I would sweep the leg :)

White belts with 6 months training make the funniest thread topics i swear. Whoaaa bro, you better watch out for his americana.

This is such a petty response man, like white belts cant train hard and give up tons of other things for bjj. Like they are not entitled to feel bjj is very important to them...

I feel this thread is about a legit concern, if you are not planning on closing out.
I personally think i would have no problem and actually look forward to going all out against my teammates in competition. I'd like to give it my all, have them give it their all and both enjoy the battle and be happy with the win or be happy for them if they win and train harder and better afterwards.

Then he thanked me after he got his gold & told me that it was good we didn't faced each other because he didn't want to subbed me.

post-38816-Doc-Rivers-Dumbfounded-Disbeli-SVhg.gif

You know that secret move you've been training? It is time to expose his weak kungfu! and show that yours is stronger......also, grease up real good. But seriously, don't hold back (neither of you) get after it and leave it all on the mat.

Loose and lose are two different terms.

Loose vs. lose
Lose is only a verb. To lose is to suffer a loss, to be deprived of, to part with, or to fail to keep possession of.

Loose is mainly an adjective used to describe things that are not tightly fitted. Where it is a verb, it means to release—for example, they loosed the dogs on the intruders—but the word is only rarely used this way. It also has a noun sense mainly confined to the idiom on the loose, which means at large. When you need a verb meaning to partially release or to relax, loosen is usually the best choice.

http://grammarist.com/usage/loose-lose/

Use in a sentence "Vagin loose... like sleeve of wizard" [probably misquoted] Borat.

Sorry mods, couldn't help myself

Maybe it's just sampling bias, but I swear it's only BJJ people who make these threads. I have yet to see a wrestler or judoka have similar issues.

One thing I would do is talk about the elephant in the room. After the tournament you guys need to train still.

I have gone up to guys from my school that were in the same weight class while we were at practice and said. Hey man. If you beat me at the tournament I will not have any hard feelings and just hope we are still cool after. They usually say say totally (I'm from CA). Then I say I hope it's the same way if I win. The usually say yes.

I had this guy who is a former teammate (no animosity or anything). He had issues with our now both former instructure before I did and left. But everytime we face each other I tend to get hurt in some way. Like I've mentioned before, I personally have a mental block when it comes to competing against a teammate or friend.

So as white belts, I had him in my half guard, working fairly comfortably and he's trying to work his pass. He works on a knee slice and literally pulls back and knees me right in the balls. Insta-pass lol

First time as purples, he shot in for a single, I start to sprawl on top and he abandons. Shot his head straight up under the chin, chip a tooth.

Second time as purples, we were mess around with a leg scramble popped a knee (nothing big, sprain 2 weeks of light work).

Again no animosity towards the guy. I havent seen him in years actually, I think he went back to brazil

Maybe it's just sampling bias, but I swear it's only BJJ people who make these threads. I have yet to see a wrestler or judoka have similar issues.

There's no promotion in wrestling as such. Lol, I thought about doing the odd wrestling comp so I asked my coach (who was a international wrestler) what divisions there are assuming they have different levels like BJJ. I wasn't expecting belts or anything but at least a novice, intermediate or advance.

"There's no such thing. We do it by weight.. What do you weight? Hey, you'd be in my division" far to say the next sound was me dropping my nuts lol

One time I was set to go up against a teammate was for third. Him and coach didn't want us to go so we flipped for it. I was disappointed but I didn't want to force him to fight.

Well wrestlers have done this there whole life. I have been wrestling teammates since I was like 7 years old so I didn't think it was too uncomfortable. But I can see how it could be for some people.

This is such a petty response man, like white belts cant train hard and give up tons of other things for bjj. Like they are not entitled to feel bjj is very important to them...

I feel this thread is about a legit concern, if you are not planning on closing out.
I personally think i would have no problem and actually look forward to going all out against my teammates in competition. I'd like to give it my all, have them give it their all and both enjoy the battle and be happy with the win or be happy for them if they win and train harder and better afterwards.

Who sais i'm a white belt though? I worked to damn hard for this blue, put some respek on my belt LOL!

Yea we touched on the subject and both agreed that it would be just like a hard roll at the gym times 10 lol. One thing for sure what ever happens we are going out for a beer after.

I see what you did there...or what you see there. From the thread title I was hoping for another "Sitch returns" thread.

Making that reference inspired me to go back and re-read all of his threads (I was just a lurker at the time, sadly). They are legit comedy gold, the guys word play is just phenomenal, and he commits to the bit 100%. It's quality stuff and kind of bitter sweet in a way, his talent is kind of wasted on such a small niche community. He deserves a much larger audience

Back