Things you're planning on buying

A house

....or more likely a condo

I think we spoke about this before. I've been looking a bit. Trying to find a reasonably sized house for $500,000 is a chore, but the gf and I don't want to go the shared wall route, rather just save longer for a bigger down payment and go straight to single family house.

Word around the water cooler from a couple agents I spoke to is wait until 2019 or 2020, they expect housing to drop a bit in this area.

I think we spoke about this before. I've been looking a bit. Trying to find a reasonably sized house for $500,000 is a chore, but the gf and I don't want to go the shared wall route, rather just save longer for a bigger down payment and go straight to single family house.

Word around the water cooler from a couple agents I spoke to is wait until 2019 or 2020, they expect housing to drop a bit in this area.

I bought a cheap old nice 1920s house most people wouldn't want to do the work on, me and my Dad in law renovated that shit - good times. It's a modest sized house, good enough for us :)

Yeah I wouldn't want to share anything either

Just picked up 3 boxes of string lights from Costco a few days ago. Now I have to find the best way to hang it on my patio cover. Command strips vs hooks specifically made for allumawood patio covers.

Just picked up presents for my sons 3 year old birthday.

This weekend I plan on buying tickets to Hawaii for the family and then Hong Kong for my wife. Deciding if I should use up some points or pay with credit card.

Eyeing out more home decor stuff and maybe even a patio set. Also revisiting on possibly building a gym in the garage. Those squat racks you can store against the wall is pretty nice.

674.7630.71.54.MB_ZM.jpg

when i get round to it.

Can you even still buy radios?

I want to buy a new old radio

Ya, Im a lefty so if the house balls have any kind of reactive core, its going to be for right handers and hook right into the gutter. I can toss a plastic 15lb house ball hard as hell and play a respectable straight ball, but the strike zone for straight shots is very unforgiving.

Not to mention having a hook helps big time picking up spares.

Yep, I’m in the same boat. You can find some pretty decent houses in La Mesa for a bit over 500k, but that’s still expensive. I don’t want a giant mortgage just so I can be in a house. I was approved for a 650k mortgage (which is crazy) but all the breakdowns of houses 500k or more are resulting in a mortgage of basically 3 grand a month. Fuck that.

That’s why I’m basically leaning towards a condo... because there’s just no way I can put down 20%+ on a 500k+ house. I figure it’s still a good investment to get into a condo and sell it in a few years and then look into a house. I’ve heard similar things about the housing market but that’s also not a sure thing. The only sure thing is the demand for real estate is never going to slow down in San Diego (or California, for that matter).

Where abouts are you looking?

Holy shit, $500K for a starter home? It's common knowledge SoCal is expensive but wow. Good luck, man.

I bought a cheap old nice 1920s house most people wouldn't want to do the work on, me and my Dad in law renovated that shit - good times. It's a modest sized house, good enough for us :)

Yeah I wouldn't want to share anything either

Except the neighbors electricity.

Yep, I’m in the same boat. You can find some pretty decent houses in La Mesa for a bit over 500k, but that’s still expensive. I don’t want a giant mortgage just so I can be in a house. I was approved for a 650k mortgage (which is crazy) but all the breakdowns of houses 500k or more are resulting in a mortgage of basically 3 grand a month. Fuck that.

That’s why I’m basically leaning towards a condo... because there’s just no way I can put down 20%+ on a 500k+ house. I figure it’s still a good investment to get into a condo and sell it in a few years and then look into a house. I’ve heard similar things about the housing market but that’s also not a sure thing. The only sure thing is the demand for real estate is never going to slow down in San Diego (or California, for that matter).

Where abouts are you looking?
I'm looking anywhere within the city tbh. Me and the gf should be able to come up with at least 10 percent down by the time we're ready. I'm going to be stuck driving north because I work in tech, she works for the state in Otay Mesa. She can probably get a deal on housing through the state because of her job and we're both first time home owners. So basically we have to look for something centrally located.. like in the Normal Heights area were we live now so our commutes aren't super long. Fortunately she makes fucking bank through the state, so even with my salary, we still should be able to split a $2500-2800 mortgage no problem.

Buying a condo to get in the market first is smart. If you sit on it for a few years around here, you'll should have enough equity in it to transition to a single family no problem.

Holy shit, $500K for a starter home? It's common knowledge SoCal is expensive but wow. Good luck, man.
Yeah, it's pretty common. The funny thing is, San Diego is still cheaper than LA and way cheaper than the Bay area.

Not to mention having a hook helps big time picking up spares.

Depends, hooks help with sweeping pins across for a split spare, but a lot of players use a heavy plastic ball/low reaction to hit those singles with straight shots.

Depends, hooks help with sweeping pins across for a split spare, but a lot of players use a heavy plastic ball/low reaction to hit those singles with straight shots.

Really? That’s interesting. I actually slow my ball down to get as big of a hook as possible for single pin pick ups because I like the larger side to side range. But I guess if you are accurate with a straight shot, I can see why you might not want to throw a hook in that situation.

When I played, as soon as I learned how to throw a hook I gave up on throwing a straight shot in any situation. If I ever play again, maybe I’ll start practicing straight shots.

Edit: You know what, it’s starting to come back to me. I do remember some guys in my league who would throw straight shots for single pin pickups. Damn, it’s been a while. I do miss playing a lot, lol. Tuesday night leagues. One week we would play a team of senior citizens and the next week a team that all bowled over 225. Then on weekends we would drink beer and practice.

Last edited:
Back