Think the US federal minimum wage will go up?

GuanoApes

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Trump has said he’s wanting to raise minimum wage to $10 an hour. https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...ald-trump-gets-full-flop-stance-minimum-wage/

I know Obama wanted to raise it to $10 an hour too. But with congress being mostly republican, it hasn’t happened yet.

Hilary wanted $12 an hour federal minimum wage..

I’m fairly new to paying attention to politics, but I think it’ll go up eventually. Maybe not under Trump though.

When do ya’ll think the fed. minimum wage will go up?

New York is going up to $15 an hour I believe. Other states are rising too.

Hope the federal government gets with the program.

There was a point when I actually thought this was a critical problem and issue in the US. Then I took the red pill on the Demographic problem that's up in our face.

Australia has a federal minimum wage of $18.93 Australian Dollars. ($13.46 USD)

I’ve heard they haven’t had issues with inflation.

If so many employers didn't enjoy under paying their employees this wouldn't be an issue. I feel minimum wage should be tied to congress pay increases. It should go up the same percentage.

The high cost of living makes it so that $15 per hour should be the Federal BASE.

No one can survive with anything less.....unless sleeping in your car or under the bridge is your thing. <Moves>

The high cost of living makes it so that $15 per hour should be the Federal BASE.

No one can survive with anything less.....unless sleeping in your car or under the bridge is your thing. <Moves>
States are much better at this
Is 15 enough in New York? It is here.

Then why the hell are you supporting the party that universally opposes, at the federal, state, and municipal level, wages increases? Hell, here in St. Louis, the Democrat-controlled city passed a $10.00 minimum wage law and the Republican-controlled state government instantly voted to stop it. And it worked. Thousands of workers who had depended on seeing that hourly bump then had their wages fall back down to $7.70.

Also, you're wrong. It's a good thing to be wrong about (caring about low-wage workers and wanting their income to be increased), but you're still wrong. A $15 federal minimum wage would spell an absolute disaster for rural markets. Countless small businesses in small towns would immediately cease to be viable.

I personally think a $10.00 federal minimum wage would be sufficient, but some advisory formula for calculating wages relative to living expenses needs to be promulgated to municipal governments, since there are markets where even a $15.00 minimum wage is insufficient. That's one of the (many) reasons why Missouri's Republican Senate taking away St. Louis's wage bump pissed me off so much: it's counterproductive. Leaving wage floors to be done at the state level is completely moronic. It needs to be federal + municipal.

States are much better at this
Is 15 enough in New York? It is here.

No, they aren't. States are the single worst level to create wage floors, since the expenses and necessary wages of rural areas of the state are completely different than those of metropolitan areas.

Hope not. Minimum wage isn’t supposed to be a living wage, it’s a starting wage from where you work your way up. When I got my first job minimum wage was lke 4.15 an hour, I took it and liked it. I remember when I got a gig for 8 bucks an hour and I was endlessly grateful.....now people bitch and complain and think they are worth more off the bat....nope.

On my life I’ve managed to go from 16hrs a week at 4.15 an hour to 90+k a year with awesome benefits because I worked hard and stick to my long term goals.

Hope not. Minimum wage isn’t supposed to be a living wage, it’s a starting wage from where you work your way up. When I got my first job minimum wage was lke 4.15 an hour, I took it and liked it. I remember when I got a gig for 8 bucks an hour and I was endlessly grateful.....now people bitch and complain and think they are worth more off the bat....nope.

On my life I’ve managed to go from 16hrs a week at 4.15 an hour to 90+k a year with awesome benefits because I worked hard and stick to my long term goals.
But how long is ya shlong tho?

What you're describing minimum wage as is not at all what it was intended to be when it was originally implemented. You're engaging in revisionist history.

FDR on the intent of the minimum wage.

"In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living"

How many more times would he need to say or define living wage in connection to the minimum wage for you to stop saying it was never intended as a minimum wage?

Australia has a federal minimum wage of $18.93 Australian Dollars. ($13.46 USD)

I’ve heard they haven’t had issues with inflation.
Australia is expensive as fuck.

I don't know why MW is a federal issue. Cost of living varies greatly in different states. Federal MW should be 0 and states should set their own. Why would the cheapest states have to keep up the same MW as the most expensive states?

Its time for an increase but I'd like to see a better plan going forward. Cost of living varies a great deal from place to place. Determine the standard, adjust for cost of living and increase incrementally to maintain the baseline relative to inflation. Oh but then what would we campaign on next time...

If you don't mind your taxes subsidizing Walmart and McDonald's under paying their workers, why should it go up?

Australia is expensive as fuck.

I don't know why MW is a federal issue. Cost of living varies greatly in different states. Federal MW should be 0 and states should set their own. Why would the cheapest states have to keep up the same MW as the most expensive states?
Living wages I
Living wages II
--
For what it's worth, the minimum wage is already well below a living wage in every state. The cheapest states aren't trying to "keep up" with a higher cost of living state, their workers are generally underpaid already, if we are to take the reasoning behind implementing a minimum wage.

If the cost of living is too high in an area for a person to earn enough to sustain a good living, might I suggest moving to an area where the cost of living is lower.

We live in a very big country, with a lot of diverse geographical economic situations.

The rural areas of our nation shouldn't be forced to accommodate the fact that the cost of living in a city is in an eternal upward spiral.

If the cost of living is too high in an area for a person to earn enough to sustain a good living, might I suggest moving to an area where the cost of living is lower.

We live in a very big country, with a lot of diverse geographical economic situations.

The rural areas of our nation shouldn't be forced to accommodate the fact that the cost of living in a city is in an eternal upward spiral.

How does that matter if the federal minimum wage is lower than the living wage everywhere? I don't see anyone suggesting that it should be equal to the living wage in the most expensive area.

Here’s someone complaining about getting better wages when his entire life he’s been sucking off the government titty

Right. As if just packing everything and moving is so easy.

Maybe if you rent an apartment, you can do that but what about those who have actual HOMES?

Back