Think the US federal minimum wage will go up?

How does that matter if the federal minimum wage is lower than the living wage everywhere?
That's not true.

I'm not sure where you got such a statistic, that the standard wage rate isn't enough for anyone to make a living wage anywhere in the United States, but your statistic is false.

The cost of living in the High Plains is so low that making a living off the standard wage rate is entirely possible.

Right. As if just packing everything and moving is so easy.

Maybe if you rent an apartment, you can do that but what about those who have actual HOMES?

You pack it. You sell it. And you move. It is easy. Lmao.

You're suggesting that people that make such low wages they can't support themselves without government assistance undertake the expensive process of moving themselves and their family to a new area where they may lose all their support network of family and neighbors.

Great idea.

Maybe if you rent an apartment, you can do that but what about those who have actual HOMES?

Why would someone buy a home in an area where they can't even sustain the cost of living?

That was just a bad choice, and a poor use of their resources.

That's not true.

I'm not sure where you got such a statistic, that the standard wage rate isn't enough for anyone to make a living wage anywhere in the United States, but your statistic is false.

The cost of living in the High Plains is so low that making a living off the standard wage rate is entirely possible.
Living wages I
Living wages II
My post right above yours, bub.

Why would someone buy a home in an area where they can't even sustain the cost of living?

That was just a bad choice, and a poor use of their resources.

You know some people in these areas are living in homes their families have owned for years right? You know people can own a home without having bought it, and still be in poverty.

You know some people in these areas are living in homes their families have owned for years right? You know people can own a home without having bought it, and still be in poverty.
And that's everyone else's problem why?

The argument being put forward by some posters is that the wage rate needs to be legally increased because of instances like this.

And that's everyone else's problem why?

The argument being put forward by some posters is that the wage rate needs to be legally increased because of instances like this.

Because having wages so low people can't support themselves results in drags on the economy and government subsidies.

If they made more it be less of everyone's problem then it currently is.

Is 15 enough in New York? It is here.
Depends on where in NY. Up with the cows? Yes. In downtown Manhattan? Fucking LOL!

This is why there should be NO federal minimum wage. Differences in cost of living vary widely across a country as big as ours.

There was a point when I actually thought this was a critical problem and issue in the US. Then I took the red pill on the Demographic problem that's up in our face.

Translation: "I once thought anarcho-capitalism was the answer. But now I realize it's white ethno-nationalism."

Here’s someone complaining about getting better wages when his entire life he’s been sucking off the government titty

Only farmers have earned the right to have the federal government step in and insure they earn a set wage regardless of market forces. 'Murica!

Living wages I
Living wages II
--
For what it's worth, the minimum wage is already well below a living wage in every state. The cheapest states aren't trying to "keep up" with a higher cost of living state, their workers are generally underpaid already, if we are to take the reasoning behind implementing a minimum wage.

That still doesn't make it a federal issue. If it's anybody's business, which it isn't, it would be the states setting the MW for their own state.

As far as MW in general is concerned, there is an insanely low number of heads of household relying on MW. The vast majority are dependents, students, and part-time workers. The average household income for MW workers is well above the poverty line. They also count service jobs as "below MW" when they are tipped positions that come out way ahead of any MW. If your concern is for the working poor and alleviating poverty, you should probably look elsewhere cause this would just give more spending cash to suburban teenagers at the expense of business prosperity.

https://www.heritage.org/jobs-and-l...um-wage-suburban-teenagers-not-single-parents

Oh yeah, all those minimum wage homeowners with mortgages to worry about. I don't know if there is a single case of a minimum wage worker who is the head of household and owns a home. The majority are dependents and students who work part-time.

Here’s someone complaining about getting better wages when his entire life he’s been sucking off the government titty
Only farmers have earned the right to have the federal government step in and insure they earn a set wage regardless of market forces. 'Murica!
<TrumpWrong1>
https://www.agriculture.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/farm-bill-ends-direct-payment-subsidies

This is several years old. Try to keep up with the times.

If you're going to insult a farmer with your mouth and belly full, at least have insults relevant to the current Presidental administrations era.

As far as MW in general is concerned, there is an insanely low number of heads of household relying on MW.
What exactly is your point? There is a statistically significant group who work multiple minimum wage jobs just to have some half-semblance of a normal life. And I'm talking the usual shit: have one or two kids, have food for said kids, set money aside for retirement.

The vast majority are dependents, students, and part-time workers.
And? So they fall into a specific bracket and therefore shouldn't be compensated with a livable wage? If you work a job for 40 hours a week, you deserve to not starve with no roof over your head. Do you forget why the minimum wage was created?

The average household income for MW workers is well above the poverty line. They also count service jobs as "below MW" when they are tipped positions that come out way ahead of any MW. If your concern is for the working poor and alleviating poverty, you should probably look elsewhere cause this would just give more spending cash to suburban teenagers at the expense of business prosperity.
Yes, that is my concern. What avenue do you suggest to combat the increasing wealth disparity and cost of living, if not to raise the minimum wage?

Depends on where in NY. Up with the cows? Yes. In downtown Manhattan? Fucking LOL!

This is why there should be NO federal minimum wage. Differences in cost of living vary widely across a country as big as ours.

Except if there is no Federal Minimum Wage to act as a floor you're going to have some states that just won't have a minimum wage at all.

You can see evidence of that in the fact that some states make every effort possible to avoid a y federally mandated worker's rights to even the barest of standards. If the federal government abdicated responsibility in that arena those states, mostly red states, wouldn't ever lift a finger for their working class residents.

There has to be a federally mandated floor even if the ceiling needs to vary by area.

Except if there is no Federal Minimum Wage to act as a floor you're going to have some states that just won't have a minimum wage at all.
The real minimum wage is ALWAYS zero. We just implement a discontinuity.

I'm a potato and I deserve $10 an hour for doing potato things. Anything a potato can do, I can do not better.

Quoting stats in who works minimum wage positions as reasoning for not raising the minimum wage is disingenuous.

It ignores all of the workers that make just above minimum wage but significantly below a living wage standard. You're trying to capture the narrowest group while ignoring workers that would be directly impacted by a push up to a living wage.

To give you can example say the minimum wage is $10 in an area but a living wage is deemed to be $15. Only considering those individuals at the basement $10 is farcsical because you have all those workers between $10.01 and $14.99 that would be also getting a raise. But you don't want to look at the $13 or $14 an hour worker because it doesn't fit your narrative, and yet they'd be directly impacted.

And that before you get the indirect impact that would occur. You think those workers that are making $14 an hour who are likely have better experience, training, competence, or more responsibilities are going to just get bumped up the the new minimum wage? Not if that job ever intends to keep them. Those workers are now going to be in a very leverageable position to push for say $19 an hour or otherwise they'll just go get another job because now there are a ton of jobs that still pay more then they were making.

People argue fast food workers don't deserve $15 an hour because some paramedics only make $15 an hour. Those people ignore that if fast food workers were making $15 then no way could you get away with paying trained paramedics that little.

Back