thinking about Kyokushin competition

Hey guys, I am considering possibly competing in a kyokushin karate fight or tournament. Would like to hear your guys thoughts and opinions about this? How much different will my training be vs muay thai? I am thinking basically the same, just dont punch the face, and be prepared for axe kicks and spinning kicks.

I’ve never personally competed in knockdown karate (lost interest in it) but I have helped others in preparation for kk tournaments.

You’re more than able to do it with your MT experience but you’d have to make adjustments.

To begin with you’ll be fighting in a range that’s less familiar if you do MT. You’ll be operating in close inside to clinching range - you’ll have to strike in that range.

You’ll need to get comfortable with throwing quick powerful combinations from that range - come up with a system you can use. You’ll also need to learn how to cover/block/parry bare knuckle shots (as they slip through a lot easier than when you wear any oz glove) and more importantly really work on conditioning your body on the build up to competition because of the rule set you’re bound to take a lot of licks.

My advice is also work around what your good at. Personally I feel counter knees will be your best friend in kk competition at that range (especially since there is a chance you'll be better at it than the average person doing KK). You’d need to get in a lot of sparring (both light & hard) and KK specific conditioning. You could definitely do it. I’d also say KK tournaments tend to have short rounds of 1m30s or 1min - so any conditioning work you do should probably focus on explosive bursts or throwing as much volume as you can within that time frame.

I'd also say be wary of head kicks - the close range can be very deceptive. There are lots of guys in KK that can knock your head into orbit from deceptively close range where you might think you're safe. I've had plenty of wacks to the head when I thought I was safe lol.

I’ve never personally competed in knockdown karate (lost interest in it) but I have helped others in preparation for kk tournaments.

You’re more than able to do it with your MT experience but you’d have to make adjustments.

To begin with you’ll be fighting in a range that’s less familiar if you do MT. You’ll be operating in close inside to clinching range - you’ll have to strike in that range.

You’ll need to get comfortable with throwing quick powerful combinations from that range - come up with a system you can use. You’ll also need to learn how to cover/block/parry bare knuckle shots (as they slip through a lot easier than when you wear any oz glove) and more importantly really work on conditioning your body on the build up to competition because of the rule set you’re bound to take a lot of licks.

My advice is also work around what your good at. Personally I feel counter knees will be your best friend in kk competition at that range (especially since there is a chance you'll be better at it than the average person doing KK). You’d need to get in a lot of sparring (both light & hard) and KK specific conditioning. You could definitely do it. I’d also say KK tournaments tend to have short rounds of 1m30s or 1min - so any conditioning work you do should probably focus on explosive bursts or throwing as much volume as you can within that time frame.

I'd also say be wary of head kicks - the close range can be very deceptive. There are lots of guys in KK that can knock your head into orbit from deceptively close range where you might think you're safe. I've had plenty of wacks to the head when I thought I was safe lol.

thanks man, yeah they will come with those quick over the top close range kicks. This is still just an idea in my head but ill look into local competition, it could help me with my MT too.

I’m not sure that KK has the best examples of head movement/footwork/angles?
Isn’t the Dutch style of kickboxing like Ramon Dekkers a good example of combining Muay Thai and Kyokashin?

dutch kickboxing is dutch kickboxing

chakuriki gym is the gym that created their style of fighting which was kyokushin combined with boxing.

I wasnt referring to KK for headmovement, just that generally speaking its lacking in MT.

which comes with a completion certificate of authenticity.

You need to start selling boxing liniment at inflated prices........and make everyone wear the gyms Thai shorts for triple the price and change the colours every year.......

Call the Gym Shincheckin's Emporium of Pain and get a ladyboy on the front counter........

Always throw in a cheeky move in the last 5mins of the class to keep noobs happy.......

Lerdsila used to have us do shit like running across the room and doing jumping knees and shit into a heavybag lol.

I remember my first day training with him and he was showing us jumping low kicks (like what Saenchai does). I thought it was hilarious because there were definitely people there that had no business ever throwing something like that. Come to think of it...most people shouldn't be doing shit he and Saenchai pull off haha.

You need to start selling boxing liniment at inflated prices........and make everyone wear the gyms Thai shorts for triple the price and change the colours every year.......

Call the Gym Shincheckin's Emporium of Pain and get a ladyboy on the front counter........

your hired as my marketing manager............take my money!!

shut-up-and-take-my-money-32608030.png

dutch kickboxing is dutch kickboxing

chakuriki gym is the gym that created their style of fighting which was kyokushin combined with boxing.

I wasnt referring to KK for headmovement, just that generally speaking its lacking in MT.

Ok cool. KK was my first martial are and I always found it lacked both footwork and head movement, and if punches to the head were alowed a good boxer would be fairly successful if they could avoid the head kicks and check/take the leg and body kicks.

Like said above watch out for rolling kicks in close, where you think you’re safe and get used to getting knuckled in the ribs and chest.

But I think you should go for it and film it and post it up here for the couch warriors to critique.

Ok cool. KK was my first martial are and I always found it lacked both footwork and head movement, and if punches to the head were alowed a good boxer would be fairly successful if they could avoid the head kicks and check/take the leg and body kicks.

Like said above watch out for rolling kicks in close, where you think you’re safe and get used to getting knuckled in the ribs and chest.

But I think you should go for it and film it and post it up here for the couch warriors to critique.

its still just a thought at this point, i need to get back into shape and have some more MT fights, and then ill try and throw a KK fight in there.

I have never competed in kyokusin. But i had a sparring friend who was a 2nd degree black belt in kyokusin. He was dutch with experience in boxing, dutch kickboxing, and KK.

Anyway. I did not like the feel of the ruleset. As a Nak muay, they take away all three ranges. You stay glued together for the most part. But you cant really clinch. Its all digging stinging body shots and strange (but hard) lowkicks.

And if you seperate from the "semi clinch", those fuckers are very good at landing headkick at very very close range.

But you cant use most of your fun stuff from muay thai.

<DCrying>

I have never competed in kyokusin. But i had a sparring friend who was a 2nd degree black belt in kyokusin. He was dutch with experience in boxing, dutch kickboxing, and KK.

Anyway. I did not like the feel of the ruleset. As a Nak muay, they take away all three ranges. You stay glued together for the most part. But you cant really clinch. Its all digging stinging body shots and strange (but hard) lowkicks.

And if you seperate from the "semi clinch", those fuckers are very good at landing headkick at very very close range.

But you cant use most of your fun stuff from muay thai.

<DCrying>
Yes! Exactly this. It’s like clinching without clinching. You’re stuck in the pocket or not engaged at all. In my opinion it makes for strange and silly looking fights. Having said that I still have a soft spot go KK as it was my first art, I just wish they’d go back to punches to the head. But then I guess it just starts to look like kickboxing?

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to teach the kids Karate and not Muay Thai?
Or is teach Karate and Muay Thai?
I think Karate is probably more attractive to parents that aren’t into the martial arts world, so I could see it from that perspective.

Yes! Exactly this. It’s like clinching without clinching. You’re stuck in the pocket or not engaged at all. In my opinion it makes for strange and silly looking fights. Having said that I still have a soft spot go KK as it was my first art, I just wish they’d go back to punches to the head. But then I guess it just starts to look like kickboxing?

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to teach the kids Karate and not Muay Thai?
Or is teach Karate and Muay Thai?
I think Karate is probably more attractive to parents that aren’t into the martial arts world, so I could see it from that perspective.

karate and muay thai

2 reasons I want to teach karate. 1 is exactly as you said "I think Karate is probably more attractive to parents that aren’t into the martial arts world, so I could see it from that perspective."

the other is that I think muay thai combined with karate is better than muay thai by itself.

So I kill 2 birds with 1 stone, more business and more well rounded fighters. You will find that most top level MT fighters, outside of the thais, usually have a background in a TMA.

Last edited:
karate and muay thai
2 reasons I want to teach karate. 1 is exactly as you said "I think Karate is probably more attractive to parents that aren’t into the martial arts world, so I could see it from that perspective."
the other is that I think muay thai combined with karate is better than muay thai by itself.

TKD is where it's at. Family friendly like Karate, and when combined with Muay Thai you get this:
1357863.jpg

Between the 2 sisters there's over 20 world championships in MT & kickboxing.

TKD is where it's at. Family friendly like Karate, and when combined with Muay Thai you get this:
1357863.jpg

Between the 2 sisters there's over 20 world championships in MT & kickboxing.

yeah i totally agree, i think there are many things to add to MT to make it more well rounded, TKD is on that list, as is boxing, karate, savate. The footwork in high level tkd is quite amazing.

Not sure if I mentioned it earlier but Anissa Meksen has a very TMA style of kicking, its much more flicky and kicking with the foot than big MT style swinging roundhouses, and obviously it works as she is a champion as well. My coach prior to MT fought in kickboxing with the booties and pants.

Get a Competition Gi and if any of your team mates are willing to spar in Knockdown Karate outside of training hours it will be a great visual cue not to punch to the face. Punishments for face punching will vary depending on organization running it. You might get a warning and then a DQ after a certain amount of warnings or you might get DQ'd on the spot. Clinching is a no no as well [Though I do think some tournaments in the Netherlands have a K-1 strike and release rule on it]

Last Kyokushin tournament I went to a MT guy entered. He got penalised heaps. I think when he got nervous he resorted back to his training and lost sight of the rules a bit. For example in close we can elbow the body and knee to the body or head, but not clinch or grab the gi. He went for a clinch and knee to the body and got penalised. He also did a few head punches and got penalised. I think at one point he went for an elbow to the face too and got penalised for that. From memory three penalties and your out, so he lost by disqualification. Most Kyokushin tournaments will welcome other style fighters, just practice under their rules as much as possible beforehand.

My opinion is that if you just want to compete in something close to MT, try KK. But if you want to implement new stuff to level up your MT, like aerius said, I would suggest TKD (specially ITF).

It's so different in every way, that it will open your mind to a lot of new ways/techniques/strategies. KK is too close to MT to really do that...

So if you want to compete: KK
If you want to cross train: TKD ITF

Back