Thinking about taking an amatuer fight

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
I am wanting to take an amateur MMA fight. I know this is the striking sub forum, but Boxing and Kickboxing both use 3 minute rounds, and amateur MMA fights are 3 minute rounds, so I figured I would get a better idea asking you guys as opposed to the grappling forum, where at the highest level they go for up to 20 minutes.

My current experience

Black Belt in TKD
BJJ Blue Belt
2 years wrestling experience.
3x a week lifting weights.
Lifelong athlete.

Currently been doing a lot of S&C and Heavy bag work.

How many times should I grapple, strike, spar, and do conditioning per week?

Amatuer MMA is 3 rounds, 3 minutes.

Last edited:
I am wanting to take an amateur MMA fight. I know this is the striking sub forum, but Boxing and Kickboxing both use 3 minute rounds, and amateur MMA fights are 3 minute rounds, so I figured I would get a better idea asking you guys as opposed to the grappling forum, where at the highest level they go for up to 20 minutes.

My current experience

Black Belt in TKD
BJJ Blue Belt
2 years wrestling experience.
3x a week lifting weights.
Lifelong athlete.

Currently been doing a lot of S&C and Heavy bag work.

How many times should I grapple, strike, spar, and do conditioning per week?

Amatuer MMA is 3 rounds, 3 minutes.

Do you have much experience with MMA? It's a different kettle of fish trying to string the skills you have into something that will work together and get you a win.......

Do you have much experience with MMA? It's a different kettle of fish trying to string the skills you have into something that will work together and get you a win.......

Some, but not as much as the individual styles. My area has like 1 MMA gym and its pretty mediocre. Several of the guys I train with have MMA experience and they show me stuff , but I do not have an ideal MMA specfic gym in my area.

Travel to train if need be but don't be that guy who just walks into a cage totally unprepared for MMA. I've seen it too many times and it usually doesn't end well. If it's truly a goal of yours to fight it's worth putting in the proper amount of effort to achieve. From your list I'd focus heavily on striking and MMA wrestling to begin with then go from there.

You have the chops to hang with most amateur MMA fighters on the ground if you're a good bluebelt.

Have you ever fought standup amateur or even a smoker?

Getting hit in front of a crowd of people in a ring is jarring enough psychologically, it gets worse when you're shut inside of a cage. And if you're not completely ready for it, MMA rules would hurt you more than help you imo.

If there is no rush, why not at the very least have some sparring partners from other gyms come in or visit them and have some hard contact sparring.

Also - you need your coach to make a training schedule for you. Not us. We don't know what you need to focus on, what your strength and weaknesses are, etc.

You're going to have to find a place that blends the styles. Stuff in pure BJJ would get you merked with GnP allowed. The game is position, strike, strike, strike, sub (only if its a 100% guarantee). Don't be sub hunting the entire round.

Likewise stuff in pure MT has you taking a trip to takedown city

You gotta get with peeps who'll have you drill these things day in, day out so it'll be instinctual where you won't even think. Its your first ammy fight so you won't be thinking cognitively. Its very instinct and aggression driven

I think you should try an interclub in something standup and maybe something grappling........see how you like them.....sparing is one thing but fighting in a ring or cage is a different story.

Back