This Gen's Work Ethic

Baby boomers had low house prices, low rent, low living costs and a job FOR LIFE ... the current generation have none of that, they just get given loans to study at a uni and leave without a job hold enough to pay back the aforementioned loans, can only find rag tag jobs that just allow them to keep their heads above water ... no room to save, no room to pay back loans ... oh, but you're right, they are soooo entitled :rolleyes:

Yeah cause its not possible to do college without taking out huge loans. Rolls eyes

Yeah cause its not possible to do college without taking out huge loans. Rolls eyes

Well, unless you have mummy and daddy paying for it ... going to uni for 4 years isn't cheap.

look for young people who take respectable degrees and work at the same time, with a long term partner living together. that should be your minimum requirement. then you work from there.

look for young people who take respectable degrees and work at the same time, with a long term partner living together. that should be your minimum requirement. then you work from there.

Who said you have to do it in 4 years?

look mate, I ain't making this up ... there are tens of thousands of young English people in this situation ... maybe even hundreds of thousands ...

Sure, they should have taken on 3 part time jobs, married their high school sweetheart, saved and buy an affordable, cheap house when they eventually became 40 years old ... but, that's not reality ... previous generations have had it a lot easier when it comes to job market, living costs and house prices ... real talk.

When older generations look down on younger generations and simply label them as ungrateful and lazy ... it's just plain ignorance

Over the years, I've seen all kinds at all ages but I have to agree that the cell phone generation is the worst I've seen. I've installed cell phone jammers in rest rooms because shitter sitters would spend hours if we didn't. They still play video games on their phones and many businesses have had to put locks on break room doors that are activated by employee id cards to track the amount of time spent in the break rooms.

Each generation seems to work a little less but the 25 and under workers don't seem to be able to make it in to work 5 days a week and are consistently late. Businesses need extra employees to cover for one who doesn't show up.

I've always tried to do the best job I can whether it's a job I plan to stay at or not. Every job I've ever had was a result of meeting people at a previous job.

What was the last thing you studied? When was it? and how much did it cost you?

Did 2 yrs of criminal Justice. Worked between semesters, got grants, used my GI bill. Lo and behold no debt. I'll finish it up eventually but its no big rush.

Baby boomers had low house prices, low rent, low living costs and a job FOR LIFE (you could mortgage a house on postman wages) ... the current generation have none of that, they just get given loans to study at a uni and leave without a job good enough to pay back the aforementioned loans, can only find rag tag jobs that just allow them to keep their heads above water ... no room to save, no room to pay back loans ... oh, but you're right, they are soooo entitled and lazy :rolleyes:

You hit the nail on the head. Used to be that young workers could look at the boss's house and car and think, "If I keep working here, that kind of house and car could be mine." Now, it's, "If I keep working here, the boss can buy a second home and a boat." These old school types are applying the old school ethic to only one of the two parties involved in the employer/employee dynamic.

I am 35 and recently got a new job with better pay and benefits, so it's not some young generation sour grapes thing with me. It's just the writing on the wall, and even though I got my degrees (BA/MA) in the early 2000's, I think things have gotten markedly worse in that 10-15 years re: employer/employee relations. A lot of that comes from the "you should be happy to have a job" mentality.

Back in my day we had to walk uphill both ways to work. Sometimes they wouldn't even pay us for our work, but we didn't complain, we just kept on working.

But seriously, there is a huge difference in how the world is today versus how it used to be. My parents and older relatives all got stable life-long jobs straight out of high school, with little to no skills, not being able to read a complex book, etc. Its not that simple anymore, the bar has been raised.

look mate, I ain't making this up ... there are tens of thousands of young English people in this situation ... maybe even hundreds of thousands ...

Sure, they should have taken on 3 part time jobs, married their high school sweetheart, saved and buy an affordable, cheap house when they eventually became 40 years old ... but, that's not reality ... previous generations have had it a lot easier when it comes to job market, living costs and house prices ... real talk.

This. Except i'm pretty sure its happening most places.

I finished high school right into the recession. My whole school life we had tertiary education slammed down our throats. I ended up working as a cleaner (and still do part time) because no degree = no career.

So I ended up going to uni. Then I saw my friends and family members graduate, and when it came to them, no work experience = no job. I dont think people realize the amount of educated young people working minimum wage, working for places like cleaning companies, and i'm not talking philosophy or art history. Im talking teaching, clinical psychology, criminology, personal trainers and commerce/business graduates.

Then I go on the internet and see people bitching about picking stupid degrees, not understanding there are people like me doing competitive degrees with nearly 2000 candidates with 200 spots available. Of those who knows where, when or if they will get a job out of it.

Meanwhile they are borrowing money just to feed themselves, just to have a chance at not working at a gas station for the foreseeable future. Also knowing that when they graduate, they are walking into a massive gap in economic equality. The dream of owning a house has become overshadowed by the hope that one day we can pay of the debt off we accrued for simply not ending up in some deadbeat job forever. Why wouldn't you ask what a job can do for you?

So many of us have come up with our workplaces being minimum wage jobs. Where often no matter how hard you work you dont get a pay rise, you dont get a promotion. And look at some of the comments in this thread "I wouldn't hire someone under 25" etc.

This generation is arguably the most competitive, and leans to the right in terms of economics and self responsibility.

But yeah were lazy, its all our fault right. We raised ourselves, we were the ones who decided that bartenders and people who make coffees should be qualified to do so. We took massively overpaid salaries and borrowed excessively for stuff we didn't need. Nope wait that was your generation wasn't it? Funny how we dont seem to generalize every other generation like this though, isn't it?

Like I said if you don't know someone don't judge their work ethic. I work 30 hours a week, study at uni full time and train BJJ to compete. What free time I have, I use to save and research ways I can help myself financially in the future.

Judge the man, not the date of birth. I think there are a ton of baby boomers who would crumble under the pressure most of this "lazy generation" is under.

Did 2 yrs of criminal Justice. Worked between semesters, got grants, used my GI bill. Lo and behold no debt. I'll finish it up eventually but its no big rush.

Lucky you, im not being sarcastic that's pretty good. It seems like a slow way to do things though?

Our system is a bit different I think, I have to work during the semester, and even then some days I cant afford to eat properly. I have to be at uni full time for my course, I can't take a break or I essentially start at square one again.

Good for you.

But most 18 year old kids have no clear idea about their what career they want to do for the rest of their lives ... they then have "university or die" rhetoric thrust into them, take any course and end up stuck in a rut with high level of debt, no work experience and being told they should be begging for a retail job ...

Talk to any 18 year old on the planet and ask them, "what job do you realistically see yourself doing for the rest of your life?" ... the majority of them wouldn't be able to answer you.

Do you really think kids who apply to work at a high end clothing boutique are representative of the majority?

Lucky you, im not being sarcastic that's pretty good. It seems like a slow way to do things though?

Our system is a bit different I think, I have to work during the semester, and even then some days I cant afford to eat properly. I have to be at uni full time for my course, I can't take a break or I essentially start at square one again.

Thats a shitty system. Yeah it takes a while but it gave me a ton of work experience to apply for better jobs. Right now I have a great job which is why I don't really need to finish my degree.

Do you really think kids who apply to work at a high end clothing boutique are representative of the majority?

Yeah i kinda of do. I know they are some good hard workers out but I have seen a few stories on what is called the "Entitled" Gen and some of them say the same thing as what he was saying. So I feel they are a good rep for today's youth looking to enter the work force.

And they really aren't kids. He said the youngest one he has is 20 and oldest is 27 expect for him but he is the owner and his 40

every generation thinks the ones after them are lazy and are no good. It never ends.

Yeah i kinda of do. I know they are some good hard workers out but I have seen a few stories on what is called the "Entitled" Gen and some of them say the same thing as what he was saying. So I feel they are a good rep for today's youth looking to enter the work force.

And they really aren't kids. He said the youngest one he has is 20 and oldest is 27 expect for him but he is the owner and his 40

Ive got plenty of stories of the older folks I work with being lazy too.

Back