This Gen's Work Ethic

Ive got plenty of stories of the older folks I work with being lazy too.

Yeah i have worked with a few of union guys who though just because they have been at the job forever that they didn't have to do shit. That they earned the right to do the least amount of work possible, while the younger had to carry their weight load.

But I am not saying anyone is lazy in the op. I am talking more about how they approach the interview process.

Yeah i have worked with a few of union guys who though just because they have been at the job forever that they didn't have to do shit. That they earned the right to do the least amount of work possible, while the younger had to carry their weight load.

But I am not saying anyone is lazy in the op. I am talking more about how they approach the interview process.

Oh, okay. Well its certainly tough to find jobs, and anyone who has looked for one has probably had a ton of different advice on how to approach the interview from all different angles. Asking what a job can do for you may not just be an 'entitled, what can I get out of this' question, it can show that you know you are a valuable asset, and can indicate sincerity. If one person is just being a yes man during the interview, and another is asking questions to make sure the company is a fit for them as well, it can show that you take the position and decision seriously.

Good for you.

But most 18 year old kids have no clear idea about their what career they want to do for the rest of their lives ... they then have "university or die" rhetoric thrust into them, take any course and end up stuck in a rut with high level of debt, no work experience and being told they should be begging for a retail job ...

Talk to any 18 year old on the planet and ask them, "what job do you realistically see yourself doing for the rest of your life?" ... the majority of them wouldn't be able to answer you.
And thats why taking longer than 4 years to get your degree is a good idea. Get some experience, save on debt and figure out what you really want to do.

And thats why taking longer than 4 years to get your degree is a good idea. Get some experience, save on debt and figure out what you really want to do.

Again, in reality, the vast majority of 18 year olds are not advised to do this nor do they think exactly like you do, oh holy one!

I have stopped hiring under 25. The work ethic of those raised on nickelodeon and MTV is abysmal. They have no concept of teamwork and want to get by on someone else's coat tails. I know there are exceptions, but how can someone be expected to work hard when they have no concept of life without Google or a smart phone?

how the fuck is under 25 = raised on mtv and nick?

my gen would be these people and i am a decade older than 25

It's not that hard to come to that realization.

Speak for yourself, that may be true for you, but you are ignoring the reality for most people out there ... I know people that have gone back to university full time to do engineering courses in a complete change of career in their mid-30s ....

So, don't tell me "it's not hard to realise what you want to do for the rest of your life when you are 18 years old" ... you are simply ignoring reality ... most universities and career advisers advise people to finish uni and get it out of the way as soon as possible ... "get a degree or become a bum for the rest of your life" is the clear message given to people when they finish high school.

There should be better advice given to young people and encouragement into more vocational courses/apprenticeships .... but there simply isn't ...

Again,

what kind of low class companies are you guys hiring for, and what kind of people are you around, where everyone under 25 is lazy and worthless?

i see just as many lazy older people, for that matter older people that are plain unintelligent.

there's a myriad of under 25's that would be safe to hire and have intelligence and integrity.

I may have missed the direction this thread went but it's not surprising. Society has changed and people wants jobs that are mentally fulfilling, they're not in it just for a paycheck anymore.

That was the mentality of the older generations and it worked for them. But the times, they are a changin'.

That doesn't mean the kids are lazy, they just aren't invested in work that they don't really want to do.

Again, in reality, the vast majority of 18 year olds are not advised to do this nor do they think exactly like you do, oh holy one!

Frankly it's bullshit that they have you studying Ibsen or imaginary numbers and shit like that when they could be exposing you to all of your options.

And seriously, why is it nearly fucking mandatory to have a college degree to do anything? What did people do before college was invented? Why is it when I graduate from high school, I literally have an incomplete education? A high school degree should be the bare minimum you need. Now it's barely enough to be qualified for a minimum wage job.

Well that guy is lucky to find anyone willing to work retail for multiple years, hell, even months. I've never known an actual adult that worked in retail, just high school kids.

This thread is based on the premise that respecting oneself as a prospective employee of a company = lack of work ethic, which is bs. There is no relationship between the two.

its a balance. they should complement each other. workers should do their best @ what they do to bring honor and prestige for business. The business should in turn compensate & give recommendations on the individual's resume.

If either side gets too much power, the system inverts & becomes unfair. Thats kinda the deal with Walmart. Before in the good old days, the manufacturers had all the selling power on who buys what and how much. Now in the case of Walmart, Walmart, the distributor/retailer has most of the power, deciding what their store will sell and how much which the manufacturers have to comply or else they get dropped as a potential business partner.

I don't know how Rubbermaid as a company was to their employees, but most companies treat their employees the same way Walmart treated Rubbermaid. It's just irony that they're crying about it because they probably did the same thing to their employees. Now there's a more powerful company in town and they see how much it sucks to get screwed like that.

Companies want their employees to work as long, hard and cheaply as possible. If the employee wants more pay, they tell them to kick rocks because they have 100 other people on the street who are ready to take their spot. Kinda like how Walmart told Rubbermaid to kick rocks because they have a bunch of other companies who are willing to take their spot and sell their products for less.

In the end the big company wins and everyone else loses out. We end up with cheap ass products the same way that companies end up with lazy employees who don't give a shit. It's just a big hypocritical cycle. Companies "Walmart" their employees all the time and then turn around and start crying when they get "Walmarted" themselves.

I like how I'm not "this" generation anymore, but a past one.

Anywho, somewhat on topic: Most young people smarten up quickly. Some don't. Laziness seems to be ingrained in some people. Met and/or worked with lots of 40-50 year olds who can't work for shit. Difference is young people can be fired.

Not sure how correct the premise is but yes, life shouldn't be all about work.
And older generations bitching about how they had it worse while simultaneously longing for those good old days... shut up, grandpa.

See, it is ok to have this attitude as long as you are living in reality. If you are going to have a relaxed lifestyle then you can't get into a lot of debt. If you are young and you want to party or travel then get an apartment with a roommate and split all your cost.

The thing I have noticed with the younger generation is that they expect the same house and lifestyle that their parents have, right out of college. It took your parents 50 years to get what they have but you think because you passed some multiple choice test and studied ART HISTORY that you deserve the same lifestyle as your parents.

Why do people think they need apartments by themselves and a car note at the age of 18-24?

Well, the whole issue comes back to being held accountable. I am currently a full time college student working 3 part time jobs and let me tell you there is absolutely no one held accountable by those higher up. Personally, among other employees hearing what various coworkers have gotten away with on the job, time and time again is just ridiculous. Honestly, I don't see work ethic is being the main issue. Those higher up just want to keep having their paychecks get fatter and fatter and they just don't care about those lower than them whatsoever. Therefore, there is not adequate training when the younger folk are getting hired and therefore those younger just say fuck this and leave.

I saw an interview with the founder of linkedin on Charie Rose a couple months ago, and he basically set out the modern career environment, driven largely by Silicon Valley and tech culture entrepeneurism, as a series of shorter tenures at multiple companies. Basically you don't have any real understanding of lifelong employment, so the employment arrangement needs to be mutually beneficial in the short term. It was a little deeper than that, but I've certainly seen a move in that direction in the pharmaceutical industry as well. Layoffs are coming, business changes direction suddenly and you often need to start fresh at a company better suited to your previous focus and experience.

It sounds like you've got an old school business owner, with a very limited growth opportunity business who wishes he could keep people around longer. He should hire older people nearing retirement or who have diminished ambition.

Bringing up an old thread because it has some relevant points the the topic I wanted to bring up.

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a friend who recently retired. He was asked by a guy who had a lawn mowing business if he wanted to work for a few days as they were behind due to weather and equipment downtime and one guy was on vacation. He thought he would ride a mower for a few of days. The guy had 2 guys in their early 20s working for him. The owner and the 2 young guys rode the mowers and the 66 year old guy was doing the trimming, edging and blowing. My retired friend has had both hips replaced and had rotator cuff surgery last year. He said he thought they might switch off later in the day but it didn't happen. The second day was hotter and he mentioned switching off. The owner of the business did switch with him on some yards but said his employees wouldn't get off the mower and he had to follow after them from job to job and do it himself after he mowed the yards he had. He couldn't find younger guys to do the trimming and cleanup. He has a hard time finding young guys who will show up for work and ride the mowers. My friend worked 3 days until the guy on vacation got back.

I've been watching YouTube videos of towing companies and one has a 26 year old guy driving a heavy recovery wrecker who is a real hard worker and he sometimes has a helper for setup and tear down. These helpers are almost completely useless. The one on the last video I watched was so slow you almost had to put something on the ground for a reference point to see if he was moving. He was constantly in the way and looking at his phone. He could only use one hand because the other seemed to be glued to his phone. When the job was finished, a bystander picked up the traffic cones they had set out because the helper was sitting in the truck charging his phone.

In some of the videos, he is alone because his helpers didn't show up.

The employer should offer a better wage , then he would have better people competing for the job.
If he offers low pay, he cant expect hard working motivated workers.

You get what you pay for

My neighbours 28 year old son is currently on month 4 without a job. He told me he needed time to rest because he was so exhausted from working 40 hours per week for 6 weeks straight. I don’t consider this a generational thing though. He’s just a lazy cunt.

Last edited:
Back