This is Igor.....for you noobs

Igor is a legend. He was always fun to watch for sure. If he coulda made 205 he would walk thru a lot of guys. Even a hw, i think he would be top 10 today in the ufc for sure. Not many people can take his power. I remember mirkos head kick was brutal as fuk. Thanx for the vid.

Igor was always one of my favorites but his loss to Tra Telligman is still a WTF moment for me, I expected Igor to simply run over Tra... Imagine if he had both pecs!

His loss to Coleman is also a low moment and that one always seemed to bother him the most since he could have won the Grand Prix with that win.

Then that Cro cop KO ended things for him at the highest level. Which also hurt me because Igor seemed to be in the best shape I ever saw him for that fight.

tra, at the time, worked a lot on his hands ... he even had a few pro boxing matches and considered transition... and iirc, it was on short notice.
he was favorite to win the GP (as he KOed kerr a few months earlier), but let's remember it was a tournament, the luck factor counts... Vov fought 11 mn against goodridge taking some shots before winning, then went 15 mn vs saku (who fought Royce for 1h30 ), before getting to the final !
Coleman, bested shoji who was a lot lighter than him without taking any major damage, then faced fujita who threw the towel at the beginning of the fight... he was definitly the fresher fighter !
At the time he fought cro cop (who was just like a 2.0 version of vov), he's body and hands were a mess... a lot of mileage !!
but man ! what a fighter he was ! un undersized HW with lunchboxes in both hands and a honey badger mentality !

Some think that those punches he threw while Bueno was on his way down were unecessary but Igor was simply knocking out his soul just for good measure. Never mess with Igor.

IgorVovchanchyn2.gif

1nrU9YcR2OckE55EViy1l24_mDY=.gif

best in thread.

whenever someone says "So-and-so" today would _______ to _________",

about a fighter who succeeded during the time of headbutts, i immediately think 2 things:

1. they fer sure were not a fan during the time of head butts
2. they fer sure never trained during the time of head butts.

P.S.

before 1 of 1 geniuses asks:
yep. im 44, and on the daily used to train headbutts with Don Frye, Coleman, Kerr, and there was no one in the gym who could head butt harder than tiny headed Homer Moore.
Funny, the other day I was watching this one...

Igor's prime was literally 20 yrs ago....

Damn.

Most of modern day Sherdog are just turning 18 so they wouldn't know who Igor was.

They'll chime in and throw a Conor gif somewhere here just watch "Who da Fook is day guy" bullshit.
Just to make you mad:

<FookIsThatGuy>

But really Ice Cold Igor isn't some obscure fighter. Stop talking like a hipster

Why don't you recall him being outstruck badly by Tra Telligman?

And I don't really see Yvel as a good striker really...he comes from that background, he trained with them, he had KO power - but never a technician.
And IIRC - Igor went full sambo with Satake - rightfully so, too.

I don't believe prime Wanderlei vs primer Igor being 50/50.
I believe Igor would've been outstruck badly, and KOd eventually. Maybe by some dirty technique that Wandy preferred, but he would've stopped Igor.
What I actually remember from the Tra fight, is that I somehow felt (was a short notice fight) b4 the beginning and during, that Igor seemed a lil bit...bored, not motivated...was his 50th fight..

He didnt give any excuse, & Im not giving one here, he lost fair & square...but...it is what it is...

Just to make you mad:

<FookIsThatGuy>

But really Ice Cold Igor isn't some obscure fighter. Stop talking like a hipster
Takes more than an internet fanboy on a forum to get this guy mad. Thanks for the chuckle.

i remember someone saying that alistair overeem single-handedly ruined the MW GP. he choked out vitor, which meant no vitor vs wanderlei rematch, then went on and choked out igor, which meant no igor vs wanderlei.
This. It makes watching Overeem getting KTFO over and over even more enjoyable.

werent too skilled..as strikers? coz as grapplers some were pretty legit..

On a sidenote, Big Daddy was a decent striker too..
Big Daddy was a decent armwrestler =)
I am not sure about him being a decent striker =)

Big Daddy was a decent armwrestler =)
I am not sure about him being a decent striker =)
well, he was a champ, amateur boxing in his country, you have to give him that...His problem was his fight IQ...

It's weird how Igor is such a throwback because he retired young, when he's actually about the same age as people like Anderson and Hunt.

well, he was a champ, amateur boxing in his country, you have to give him that...His problem was his fight IQ...
Yeap, he definitely lacked a fight IQ
I am trying to remember his most notable wins, but nothing other than Mike Bernardo comes to mind.
He was falling short facing the elite strikers. He was a warrior though.
He was a reason why I started my pro armwrestling career back in the day =)

Yeap, he definitely lacked a fight IQ
I am trying to remember his most notable wins, but nothing other than Mike Bernardo comes to mind.
He was falling short facing the elite strikers. He was a warrior though.
He was a reason why I started my pro armwrestling career back in the day =)
good solid wins over Oleg, Don,Valentijn...Draw with Ebenezer Braga...

Back