This NFL thing has made owner of Papa John's lose his damn mind. N bombs now.

I decided to try Papa John's Pizza a couple of months back and damn did it taste like shit. Mama Celeste frozen pizza tasted better than that crap. Also John Schnatter is a grade A moron for using the word on a conference call. Did he not think this would blow back in his face. Must have an IQ in the single digits {<jordan}

I'm from Long Island, New York and there are three local pizza joints that make some of the most delicious pizza I ever had. We also make some of the best damn bagels in the universe!
Had a buddy in Florida that would beg me to send him a couple of dozen bagels every few months.

Oh.. So whites just can't say that word, ever? F*** off lol. I don't say it more than once a year, because I never did as a young person, even in private, but I'm not bowing down to PC facism like this.
PC fascism? How about just having etiquette?

Do you actually believe that though?

Nobody looks better for using it. It's only really used by deplorable people from black or white cultures. If anything it's continued use has increased it's power. No other word is capable of making people loose their shit as much as the N word, and it's not black people who freak out either.
the meaning has shifted for blacks and whites over the years. Since no one alive today knows any slaves, the N word doesnt mean slave or lower than white man POS. For whites it has evolved into basically calling someone a ghetto POS. Blacks have taken it to try to mean brother. It has changed for both, but blacks and whites who are offended on the behalf of others still try to act like it is the most dangerous word in the language.

Shit has really changed, I remember back in the 90s if someone said somethign racist we all laughed at them for being dumbasses but then moved on. We also didn't associate a person saying a racist thing with them being totally racist. Nowadays being"racist" is the worst possible thing to be.

Had a buddy in Florida that would beg me to send him a couple of dozen bagels every few months.
Yeah unless you overnight them they ain't the same. shit they're not the same next day even. I live upstate now and have my mother bring some when she visits. she'll get them the day before and if I don't eat every one she brings in one day there's a huge drop off each day thereafter.

well I guess toasting is the great equalizer here but I love that thick doughiness of a fresh nyc bagel

Context and intent is specifically why Black people saying it to each other is not racist (obviously) , whereas non-Blacks saying it to Blacks motivated by anger is racist.
It's still foul speech when two people of color say it to one another. I happen to agree with the group of mostly old-timers in that no one should use the word, and when it's used, it creates a stupid double-standard that doesn't need to be there. Why be divisive when there is clearly no good reason to be?

And is it really racist speech if a non-black person says it while quoting a song or movie? I agree that it's still foul language, but is the anger and racism present?

Yeah unless you overnight them they ain't the same. shit they're not the same next day even. I live upstate now and have my mother bring some when she visits. she'll get them the day before and if I don't eat every one she brings in one day there's a huge drop off each day thereafter.

well I guess toasting is the great equalizer here but I love that thick doughiness of a fresh nyc bagel
There's nothing better than fresh out of the oven. When they're still hot enough to melt butter.

So if a company president says.

"The word ni.... (The n word, since by the rules I can not use it here ) is offensive and employees will not use it or play any music with it used."

Is he racist because he used the word or because he will not allow a type of music to be played that is part of the culture of a minority group that is offended by that word.

So we have lost all context.
I didn't think it would come to that, but yeah, any usage of the word, period, by a non-black person, is considered to have been done with the intent of being racist, regardless of context and even if the intent is against racism.

Papa John here might have been belligerent and racist about it ,and there might have been context to the story that we're missing out on- like, he might have sounded like a raving lunatic, and that's why he has to go. But that isn't what we're being told about what happened (same w/the Netflix guy, maybe he was out of line too). We're being told that it's the use of the word itself.

Liberals and Democrats refuse to argue this because they cannot argue it, and they know it to not be virtuous, but they love what we have allowed this to become. They have "weaponized" the word (yes, I'm going to keep appropriating the liberal lexicon to throw back at them). Everyone seems to have forgotten why we originally stigmatized this word so deeply. It was meant to highlight the hateful underpinnings that the word reflected, and the culture that had grown around it. It was intended to stymie environments that engendered a bigoted mindset, or encouraged it, and to impress White America of the power of language in perpetuating hateful mindsets. It was meant to remind whites to reassess what they may have been taught growing up was "normal" language, the ideas that language suggested or entailed, and to think with more sensitivity and clarity when it came to individuals who happened to be black; to impress these whites that a culture of condescending, supremacist jokes, for example, can have an unexpectedly more cankerous effect than might be anticipated. It was about wakening the unconscious. It isn't good for anyone when a black man isn't getting promoted who is the smartest and most qualified candidate because unconscious biases have been allowed to fester. This man is clearly conscious of the dialogue.
I could abide this move move against Papa John, Netflix guy, and others if the complaint was about the way the word was used. We've all been in situations (and a lot of people here are this guy I'll describe) where a guy sneaks in some malicious, hateful utterances under the cover of a discussion about racism or words. They want an excuse to say it, and they take every opportunity to do so. If the objection against these guys was to that end, I'm with it. That way of handling it makes contextual analysis mandatory, and it forces bad actors to lie. But Papa Netflix is not being harangued for manipulating the conversation into some poisonous context. For all I know, that's exactly what they did. I'm ambivalent about that; there's a discussion to be had about that. His sin is said to be the utterance, period. And the bad actors here don't even have to lie.

We can't allow that to happen. We can have "forbidden" words, but we can't have forbidden words. We can have words that everybody knows to come with a big ass "handle with care" label. More than anything, we need people not to be lazy and opportunistic about this. Maybe people don't understand that it's not about a particular word, and need to be reminded that these are just symbols and signals, because turning off a word completely is an arbitrary and moving goal line. If my plan is to look at the language and take the worst three words- just the ones that really upset people every time- and declare them forbidden, then three new words take their place automatically.

Maybe one of them will be "slave." That's a word we had best be damn fucking sure we don't lose.

I'm also uncomfortable with conference calls, HR meetings, and most private phone conversations being fair game, but that's another mess.

Thats literally what he complained about. Read the article. He doesnt understand why hes getting backlash and Colonel Sanders didnt.

Like I said, hes probably just out of touch after living in his moated castle for so many years.
He's probably out of touch because the rug has been pulled out from under him. He expects to be able to use the word in the context of a discussion about public relations. He's being told, and America is being told, that the context doesn't matter at all. That's a huge change in the way we use language. He thought he was good to go because he avoids talking like Slaver Sanders, but he found out that's no longer true. And maybe Papa John is a racist POS, I don't know. He's not in trouble for being racist though, according to what we know. He's in trouble for the use of a word regardless of context.

It's still foul speech when two people of color say it to one another. I happen to agree with the group of mostly old-timers in that no one should use the word, and when it's used, it creates a stupid double-standard that doesn't need to be there. Why be divisive when there is clearly no good reason to be?

And is it really racist speech if a non-black person says it while quoting a song or movie? I agree that it's still foul language, but is the anger and racism present?

So what if it is foul speech, so are words like "bitch", "asshole" , "bastard" etc..And it isn't a double standard, because 2 Black guys calling each other the N word obviously aren't denigrating each other's race .
It isn't racist if a non-Black person is just repeating the lyrics to a song . Intention matters.

So what if it is foul speech, so are words like "bitch", "asshole" , "bastard" etc..And it isn't a double standard, because 2 Black guys calling each other the N word obviously aren't denigrating each other's race .
It isn't racist if a non-Black person is just repeating the lyrics to a song . Intention matters.

Many black people would disagree with you on that. They want it abolished in all forms.

"Today we're not just burying the N-word, we're taking it out of our spirit," said Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. "We gather burying all the things that go with the N-word. We have to bury the 'pimps' and the 'hos' that go with it."

He continued: "Die N-word, and we don't want to see you 'round here no more."

Black leaders, including the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, have challenged the entertainment industry and the American public to stop using the N-word and other racial slurs.

Minister and rap icon Kurtis Blow called for people, especially young people, to stop buying music by artists who use offensive language.

"They wouldn't make rap songs if you didn't buy them. Stop supporting the stuff you don't want to hear," said Blow, who is credited with helping create the genre's popularity in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/09/AR2007070900609.html

I'm of the opinion that folks can say what they want . . . and I'm also of the opinion that they need to learn to deal with the fall out for saying what they want.

And, everyone needs to stop being so butt-hurt about what someone says . . . me included at times.

Folks say controversial stuff to get a reaction. If they don't get the one they want they'll move on . . .

pappy johns likes n-bombs on his john favorite pizza

Many black people would disagree with you on that. They want it abolished in all forms.

"Today we're not just burying the N-word, we're taking it out of our spirit," said Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. "We gather burying all the things that go with the N-word. We have to bury the 'pimps' and the 'hos' that go with it."

He continued: "Die N-word, and we don't want to see you 'round here no more."

Black leaders, including the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, have challenged the entertainment industry and the American public to stop using the N-word and other racial slurs.

Minister and rap icon Kurtis Blow called for people, especially young people, to stop buying music by artists who use offensive language.

"They wouldn't make rap songs if you didn't buy them. Stop supporting the stuff you don't want to hear," said Blow, who is credited with helping create the genre's popularity in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/09/AR2007070900609.html
Some do. Some don't care . Some of the younger generation who are into Hip-Hop artists that used the word, don't mind it .

It’s ok if Bill Maher says the N word from the left though huh ? Some scrutiny but ....

Apparently you aren't allowed to work if the N bomb comes out of your mouth in any sort of context whatsoever. Even if it's anti racism.

I hate liberals.

Non-serious thread, but this is seriously uncanny. John Schnatter did a radio interview about his recent turmoil from using a racial slur in a company meeting and, while struggling to provide a explanation, adopted an incoherent and circular narrative style that, while constantly taking the form of making conclusions. Yes, it is the patented style of the one, the only.

Now, Papa John didn't quite perfect Trump's astonishing and unprecedented ability to simultaneously combine sentence fragments and run-on sentences, but the comparison still holds imo.

You be the judge:

Believe it or not, Terry, the agency was promoting that vocabulary, and that [word]. And I made it real clear, listen, we’re not gonna go there, we’re not gonna talk about this. And they pushed me and it upset me, and I just said ‘listen, other people have used that word. I don’t, and will not use that word and people at Papa John’s don’t use that.’ And that was the comment. But they actually wanted to get into that vocabulary, and I said absolutely not.

[...]

The point is, you can’t use that vocabulary, you can’t use that word, and we will not, and I’m not going to, and I have not.

[...]

The NFL also said they got rid of us, but we got rid of them...We were very glad to get out of the NFL relationship, because we still get to sponsor some players and we still get to sponsor some teams and we still get to do business with the community. But we don’t want to do business with Roger Goodell, period. I don’t want to do business with Roger Goodell, and we’ve had enough success where we get to pick who we do business with. Roger Goodell runs the NFL and we made a decision to get a divorce, and we did.

I cannot read that without hearing DJT's dumb fucking voice. Compare to:

7d6b3136aea9b0084a33c0d3e89b7061.jpg

trump_obamacare.jpg

xhxpu100qmhy.png

Trump on Native Americans
That probably is me, absolutely, because I’ll tell you what, if you look—if you look at some of the reservations that you have approved—you, sir, in your great wisdom, have approved— will tell you right now, they don’t look like Indians to me, and they don’t look like Indians. Now maybe we say politically correct or not politically correct. They don’t look like Indians to me, and they don’t look like Indians to Indians, and a lot of people are laughing at it, and you are telling how tough it is, how rough it is, to get approved. Well, you go up to Connecticut, and you look. Now, they don’t look like Indians to me, sir.

Trump on NATO
They had a quote from me that NATO’s obsolete. But they didn’t say why it was obsolete. I was on Wolf Blitzer, very fair interview, the first time I was ever asked about NATO, because I wasn’t in government. People don’t go around asking about NATO if I’m building a building in Manhattan, right? So they asked me, Wolf … asked me about NATO, and I said two things. NATO’s obsolete—not knowing much about NATO, now I know a lot about NATO—NATO is obsolete, and I said, “And the reason it’s obsolete is because of the fact they don’t focus on terrorism.” You know, back when they did NATO there was no such thing as terrorism.

T

Back