Thought experiment:which combination of grappling styles is the best.

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now this is not nothing against bjj, or wrestling or sambo, it's just a thought experiment, so out of all the grappling styles you guys have trained (sambo, bjj, judo, catch wrestling, 10th planet jiu jitsu etc, if you guys know anymore styles put it in here, my boy knows a grappling style called kung fu snake.) One thing I want to do this year is get back into bjj or do some sort of grappling style, but this thread in no way is going help me decide, I already made up my decision, but I have a feeling I won't be able to get back into it, until next year probably.

Anyways so any sort of combination of grappling styles that you think equals a monster, put it in here. Personally I think the best combination is sambo, judo, and wrestling. (Other styles are valid, like aikido [even though I find that useless but never actually met anyone who trains it] etc.) So please give your thoughts.

It is all down to preference.

For me, I would pick - wrestling (folkstyle/freestyle) and BJJ
However, if you work primarily in the gi, I would suggest sambo/judo + bjj.
Wrestling + judo/sambo is good, but neither sambo, nor judo have a complete (or as close as complete) ne-waza game as you may want. I would definitely substitute bjj in there if possible.

Richard C. Mongler brand Monglerjitsu is the strongest there is.

Anything you can say, i can define it to be better. No can defense.

It is all down to preference.

For me, I would pick - wrestling (folkstyle/freestyle) and BJJ
However, if you work primarily in the gi, I would suggest sambo/judo + bjj.
Wrestling + judo/sambo is good, but neither sambo, nor judo have a complete (or as close as complete) ne-waza game as you may want. I would definitely substitute bjj in there if possible.

It's almost impossible to find a different grappling style like bjj in nj, probably the most popular grappling style in nj is bjj

Now this is not nothing against bjj, or wrestling or sambo, it's just a thought experiment, so out of all the grappling styles you guys have trained (sambo, bjj, judo, catch wrestling, 10th planet jiu jitsu etc, if you guys know anymore styles put it in here, my boy knows a grappling style called kung fu snake.) One thing I want to do this year is get back into bjj or do some sort of grappling style, but this thread in no way is going help me decide, I already made up my decision, but I have a feeling I won't be able to get back into it, until next year probably.

Anyways so any sort of combination of grappling styles that you think equals a monster, put it in here. Personally I think the best combination is sambo, judo, and wrestling. (Other styles are valid, like aikido [even though I find that useless but never actually met anyone who trains it] etc.) So please give your thoughts.

Why would you pick 3 main stand up grappling styles? Wrestling + Bjj or judo + Bjj sounds much better

American highschool folkstyle and gi BJJ with no training restrictions on leg locks. One thing that American folkstyle is known for but highly overlooked, is that its essentially 7 years of free training, free travel, and free competition, where you will get a minimum of 150 competition matches at no cost. Thats more matches than almost any black belt will get in their life.

American highschool folkstyle and gi BJJ with no training restrictions on leg locks. One thing that American folkstyle is known for but highly overlooked, is that its essentially 7 years of free training, free travel, and free competition, where you will get a minimum of 150 competition matches at no cost. Thats more matches than almost any black belt will get in their life.
Folk style is great for ground control too. Sometimes you see great foreign wrestlers enter the octagon and be able to take someone down but not know how to control very well at all

I really like bjj just because it's a fairly open rule set and there's so much that you can do with it. A lot of techniques that have come from other grappling styles like luta livre or sambo have sort of been elevated in the realm of bjj because of how popular it is and how open-source it is at the moment. We're in a time where someone can do a technique at worlds or adcc and there's a breakdown, exploration of it, and people already trying to advance it within a week.

The biggest limitation to bjj is the lack of stand up I think. So I would say bjj combined with freestyle wrestling. As a former judoka I'd love to say judo but I think freestyle wrestling is more applicable to gi or no gi training.

Yea I enrolled in bjj for the past 2 years he’s 6 now, I figure when he’s older we take advantage of the wrestling his school will offer for free

Do you think it would stunt his growth to take him out of bjj during the time he wrestles for school? He would still be very young so I’d imagine not much

There’s this wrestling academy for kids nearby that offers what seems like top notch instruction for kids but he guy charges $125 a month, but I wonder if it’s that much better than the free training he would get in middle and high school

It's really more about your mindset than style. Build your skills such that you can compete in as many grappling rulesets as possible, and that's the best style. If you can succeed at the higher levels of BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Shuai Jiao, and Wrestling, then it doesn't matter what your style is because you're a fucking monster.

Or as I like to call them, a Graduate of the Monglerjitsu program.

Don't think you can go wrong with wrestling (free or American folk) and BJJ. The 2 most accessible and comprehensive grappling styles.

folk style and bjj by far bjj is the only grappling art that really focuses fighting off your back and folk style is great for top control deadly combo that compliment each other

Yea I enrolled in bjj for the past 2 years he’s 6 now, I figure when he’s older we take advantage of the wrestling his school will offer for free

Do you think it would stunt his growth to take him out of bjj during the time he wrestles for school? He would still be very young so I’d imagine not much

There’s this wrestling academy for kids nearby that offers what seems like top notch instruction for kids but he guy charges $125 a month, but I wonder if it’s that much better than the free training he would get in middle and high school
Sign him up for a few months a year. He will be light years ahead of everyone who is in middle school.

Take him out of bjj during the season. Its only 4 months, and hes going to be training way way harder and more frequently than any BJJ training.

Back