thoughts on arron picos mma striking

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
he sits down well on his shots to get that power he loves to punch and hurt guys but i feel he loves his power too much and throws too randomly in mma with tiny gloves i think eventually hes gonna get in an exchange and get hurt i wish he would be a little bit safer with some of his shots

him and chad mendes and frankie are def my fav guys to watch at 145 looking forward to arrons progress wish he could come to ufc id love to see him vs aldo or jeremy stephens those would be amazing fights

He digs very well to the body. Is he a western boxer?.....I see his training videos of him at Wild Card.

The only thought I have to the negative is that he appears to shift his balance forward when going on the offensive, his elbows tend to flare. To me that would show the midline being open or worst yet guy getting a knee of some kind off in an exchange.

Being a pressure fighter you'll have to take shots granted, but his forward lean with his chin being out there might set up a big counter one day.

I like his style however. He is shoveling his punches and knocking pounds off of guys' midsections. lol

yeah he has great power but i feel he opens up a bit too much to slug maybe hes doing it vs these early guys cause hes just that confident maybe vs top guys he will be safer in his approach so far he even said he wont take anyone down cause he doesnt have to wait till that high level wrestling kicks in too guys will be scared of the hands and the takedown that will make him prob best guy at 145 period

i think he would beat conor imagine that fight

He's a very talented fighter, I'd love to see how he'd fare against the UFC top ten

yeah he has great power but i feel he opens up a bit too much to slug maybe hes doing it vs these early guys cause hes just that confident maybe vs top guys he will be safer in his approach so far he even said he wont take anyone down cause he doesnt have to wait till that high level wrestling kicks in too guys will be scared of the hands and the takedown that will make him prob best guy at 145 period

i think he would beat conor imagine that fight

I think Conor's balance is far better, and if it stays center he could counter the guy coming in leaning forward. Granted he gets more experience, and Conor is still around that would be an intriguing match up.

I would be extremely surprised if anyone puts Conor away with striking.

I think Conor's balance is far better, and if it stays center he could counter the guy coming in leaning forward. Granted he gets more experience, and Conor is still around that would be an intriguing match up.

I wouldn't be shocked. A good pressure fighter that could get past Connors left would chew him up.

In an almost identical parallel universe Aldo landed his punch first and knocked Mcgregor out. That was so close to going the other way. Crazy how a 13 second fight can be a close one

Ironically for me the moment that stood out the most was not the knock out, but when they tangled together earlier in the round.

Even though he (Pico) is a good wrestler, it looked like he had no answers for the knee strikes in the clinch. This is something i tend to see a lot from guy's who get their primary striking instruction from guys who's day jobs are as a boxing coaches. People do what they know and they'll tend to prepare them in manners that are more boxing specific that might elide other factors. It's a weakness i've observed even in really good fighters of similar background/training camps, like Tyron Woodley. People look at the fact that he is a good wrestler and think 'okay, its bad to get in close', but all three of the guys who beat him - Jake Shields, Nate Marquartd, and Rory MacDonald - did it by getting up close and personal with him. (Ironically, it is that very fear in the first place that leads to people stopping themselves short and hanging out at an optimal distance for twood to crack them with that right, the distance he is most comfortable with and accustomed too.)

To be honest, the extensiveness of clinch fighting is really one of the unique aspects of MMA (along with ground and pound and using the cage); not even muay thai really touches upon it to the same scope. It's something that you as a fighter, or as a coach preparing a fighter, needs to consciously emphasize in preparation; you can't just unconsciously lift the same training balances from a coach who is preparing someone for an other combat sport; even ones closely related to your use-case, you will find yourself in certain situations a lot more often in one than the other.

Last edited:
i
He's a very talented fighter, I'd love to see how he'd fare against the UFC top ten
dont see how he would have a problem he trains at aka and with tj dillashaws team tj said hes the best in the world in his opinion that in years were all gonna call him the goat.

hes gonna have better wrestling than 95% of whoever he fights hes gonna have more power in his hands than 90% of whoever he fights all he has to do is put it all together well on paper the dude should never lose as long as he is smart and he is a tough dude who loves to fight thats another thing you cant teach which will take him very far

im just curious if he opens up a bit to much at times which could cost him in an exchange

prob with conor is tbh conor only has 1 hand thats dangerous his kicks arnt that great his straight left is his dangerous punch and conor cant wrestle at a top ufc level so guys can take him down. arron has power and speed in both hands which is scary and guys cant just try to take him down to avoid that thats what makes arron pico so scary is you are forced to strike with him.

he has such an amazing advantage to take the fight wherever he wants thats something that people over look which is huge in mma scoring if he feels hes losing the striking eh can get it down and if wants on feat its hard to takedown a guy who wrestles internationally

Ironically for me the moment that stood out the most was not the knock out, but when they tangled together earlier in the round.

Even though he (Pico) is a good wrestler, it looked like he had no answers for the knee strikes in the clinch. This is something i tend to see a lot from guy's who get their primary striking instruction from guys who's day jobs are as a boxing coaches. People do what they know and they'll tend to prepare them in manners that are more boxing specific that might elide other factors. It's a weakness i've observed even in really good fighters of similar background/training camps, like Tyron Woodley. People look at the fact that he is a good wrestler and think 'okay, its bad to get in close', but all three of the guys who beat him - Jake Shields, Nate Marquartd, and Rory MacDonald - did it by getting up close and personal with him. (Ironically, it is that very fear in the first place that leads to people stopping themselves short and hanging out at an optimal distance for twood to crack them with that right, the distance he is most comfortable with and accustomed too.)

To be honest, the extensiveness of clinch fighting is really something that's MMA specific; not even muay thai really touches upon it to the same scope. It's something that you as a fighter, or as a coach preparing a fighter, needs to consciously emphasize in preparation; you can't just unconsciously lift the same training balances from a coach who is preparing someone for an other combat sport; even ones closely related to your use-case, you will find yourself in certain situations a lot more often in one than the other.
well pico said he doesnt want to use any wrestling right now till he becomes a bigger star. he wants highlight reel knockouts idk if u can really count his first fight against him. that was his first time ever in mma even though he has competed in both sports of boxing and wrestling mma is still scary the first time you get in there

there are different types of wrestlers like there are bottom guys in bjj and top smashing types like
baret yoshida who plays off his back and then guys like fabio gurgel who were complete top smashing types. tyron basically double single legs everyone using his athleticism same as rashad evans. rashad can only double leg guys which is why he got ko'ed in his last fight.

he had the guy against the wall and was given the single easily or body lock but he was so insistent in that double he over extended himself and got elbowed to death. i havent seen arrons wrestling to see how he wrestles to see but most guys who wrestle internationally usually arnt just great at a few moves

theres a reason guys normally fight amateur or do small shows first. but he went out and fought a guy who was like 7-3 off the bat. he rushed in and got caught was a beginners mistake but now hes gaining experience while fighting good guys. last guy was 18-4 which is a solid record and he dominated

Last edited:
prob with conor is tbh conor only has 1 hand thats dangerous his kicks arnt that great his straight left is his dangerous punch and conor cant wrestle at a top ufc level so guys can take him down. arron has power and speed in both hands which is scary and guys cant just try to take him down to avoid that thats what makes arron pico so scary is you are forced to strike with him.

he has such an amazing advantage to take the fight wherever he wants thats something that people over look which is huge in mma scoring if he feels hes losing the striking eh can get it down and if wants on feat its hard to takedown a guy who wrestles internationally

He does show promise for all the reasons you stated. I would have to see more from him. He's five fights into his pro career. He can be the man, but more time is needed.

u also ha
He does show promise for all the reasons you stated. I would have to see more from him. He's five fights into his pro career. He can be the man, but more time is needed.
u also have to realize 99% of guys u see in ufc already have tons of fights under there belt before they even get on tv were having to see him very early n his career learning the ropes so hes only going to improve i promise if u saw other guys within there first few fights they arnt near the same guy you learn alot from just 1 fight about yourself

Solid boxing, has some flaws but thats what makes him exciting.. such a high level fighter anyways tho. He better hurry up and get that belt hes getting old just turned 22 lol

I know this is a stand up thread but I am curious to see how his wrestling translates to MMA. He is one of the few wrestlers in MMA who has actual world class wrestling but unlike most Americans he has very little folkstyle experience (turned 'pro' his sophmore year and focused on freestyle only). Some think that the control and escapes emphasized in folkstyle translate better to MMA than freestyle.

I'd like to see him sharpen up his Jiu-Jitsu, his wrestling looked slick as hell in his 2nd fight. He shot the double and when dude sprawled he climbed up to the body and took his back in a flash. With that level of control it would be foolish to let submission opportunities just slide by.

His boxing looks slick but it appears that he relies almost entirely on head movement. Relying almost soley on strong boxing skills in the striking realm of MMA can get you to the top levels of the sport, but he needs a better plan for striking defense.

Back