thoughts on bare knuckle fights?

roventu

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
what do you guys think of the new craze of bare knuckle fights? is bare knuckle fighting skilled, or is it just a less refined sport with less technique that retired fighters can join...

ill admit i never watched entire fights, just saw the highlights of hendricks and chris leben

I think the BKFC should allow more clinching, and be more like the old London Prize Ring Rules. Right now it just looks like boxing without the gloves. Glove or no glove make no difference.

well the one thing I would say that you have extra to consider more is breaking your own hand. they dont wrap their hands, only the wrist, so if you punch incorrectly id say you can break your hand very easily

An old Roy Jones stopped Bobby Gun who if I'm not mistaken was a big deal in the bare knuckle scene.

I think it is skilled, however, those with the most skill will go where the biggest paydays are in my view.

If you could fight at that high level, you would. No disrespect, but I view it the same way I view the street ball circuit to the NBA. The NBA is the premier league. There are skilled players in the street competitions, but very few would make it to the league. Even fewer, if any, could become elite level.

I think the BKFC should allow more clinching, and be more like the old London Prize Ring Rules. Right now it just looks like boxing without the gloves. Glove or no glove make no difference.

I watched most of the event and it was better than I expected. Interesting thing to me was how well some of the MMA guys like Josh Neer abused the hell out of the clinch, they'd grab a hook or collartie on one side and go to town with the free hand. They'd use one hand to break posture & control the opponent and hit them on any open targets with the other hand.

I hope it gets more popular and one day gets incorporated into the UFC.

That and headbutts and kicks to a grounded opponent

I watched most of the event and it was better than I expected. Interesting thing to me was how well some of the MMA guys like Josh Neer abused the hell out of the clinch, they'd grab a hook or collartie on one side and go to town with the free hand. They'd use one hand to break posture & control the opponent and hit them on any open targets with the other hand.

Is that actually allowed though?

Is that actually allowed though?

Yup. According to the announcers, you could grab the head & neck to punch but there was some stupid rule about not being allowed to use the thumb. Yeah, I know, I don't get it either. But yeah, guys were getting clinched up with single collarties and wailed on and sometimes they'd get an arm tied up on one side and then wailed on. It was pretty hilarious at times.

Yup. According to the announcers, you could grab the head & neck to punch but there was some stupid rule about not being allowed to use the thumb. Yeah, I know, I don't get it either. But yeah, guys were getting clinched up with single collarties and wailed on and sometimes they'd get an arm tied up on one side and then wailed on. It was pretty hilarious at times.

Ok, I curious can they grab elbows and wrists, and hook up the arms and such?

Ok, I curious can they grab elbows and wrists, and hook up the arms and such?

No idea what the rules are on grabbing elbows & wrists, but from what I saw it was perfectly legal to underhook or overhook the arm for a tie-up while punching with the free hand.

I don't like it all that much. Whoever lands the first big strike usually wins.

The few fights I've watched were pretty much a brawl where a lot of the technical aspect goes out of the window, similar to what you'd see when gypsies do those "organised street fights" where 2 dudes go at it bare knuckle.

I mean if you watch fights for the violence and spectacle of people busting each other up then I guess that's for you, but if you're more into technical stand-up fights then I'd say stick to boxing and muay thai.

They have a reputation for B-Class production, not paying fighters, low success.

The actual wbkff event felt cheap.
the interviews looked like public access channel.
The main event, Phil Baroni shot like 5 takedowns on Chis Leben.
A lot of people got cut from calloused knuckles and bled fuckin everywhere.
And lastly, they failed on contracts ( allegedly )

So they hit all the classic bare knuckle stereotypes. But if they keep offering this 100k bonus, they'll never run out of talent. Maybe they'll pay that contract, maybe they won't.

At least they have Bas

I think people need to be better able to mentally segregate characteristics of a medium, and characteristics of the subsets of people that are happening to populate a medium, when talking about how 'skilled' a given format is.

Last edited:
I like James McSweeney. He's always going for the body shots - out side of BKB, I've always loved Kard Cheuk rules Muay Thai and Lethwei.

I think people need to be better able to mentally segregate characteristics of a medium, and characteristics of the subsets of people that are happening to populate a medium, when talking about how 'skilled' a given format is.

i guess you're talking about how some people equate BKB with sloppy brawls, when its just the level of talent currently in the ring that's sloppy and not the actual event? if so, i agree. Chris Leben had a nice counter hook KO of Baroni, and yes i know Baroni isn't some high level striker. if a lot of people watch it, they can pay more and get better fighters of course. BKB should reward more accurate strikers, so hopefully it gets less sloppy. i might not mind some cloth knuckle wraps, but i think MMA should definitely be bare knuckle bc it makes a differnce w grappling

Have any of you heard of this guy? He is apparently some kind of Bare Knuckle legend in the US.

He appears in this BKFC interview, so they too claim he is legit. He appears at 7:17 min into vid

Back