thoughts on brian ortegas jiu jitsu

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Iv watch vids of him rolling he gets his guard passed very easily it seems like a blue belt but when he gets to a submission its world class then that does remind me of old school Gracie guys a lot of the gracie black belts i know are like that dont have very strong guard retention or open guard but when they get in on subs they got it down

people seem to think he is in the top 3 best jiu jitsu guys in mma i dont really believe that i find him to be very very good at applying submissions but doesnt have world class positioning kind alike tony ferg

has anyone here trained with him before? curious to see only vids of him trining are him rolling in gi

His front headlock attack is definitely the strongest/most important part of his kit i feel. That forms the core of his takedown defense threat which sets up the boxing matches he likes to have without having to worry so much about guys complicating the game by mixing in level changes with their striking.

I don't think 'blue belt' is really the correct way to describe any aspect of a top five fighter in world. I might however agree that the 'connective tissue' of his game with regards to positional control is probably not as good as it could be (relative to some other top 5 fighters that is); you don't really get the same feeling from him as you might get from a grappler like Khabib, or Maia, or Askren; he's got a different style/approach. He has been successful so far though by 'making up for it' in the sense that capability with the particular submission threat he focuses on has a lot of relevance/overlap with capability in engagements in neutral in general (particularly in terms of keeping the fight standing), where an otherwise lack of 'connective tissue' grappling would be problematic.

I know Ryan Gracie and Roger Gracie both have pretty good cage takedowns against the fence, so he might be fairly good in that area as well.

Last edited:
well hes a decent boxer so that saves him he doesnt have to get fights to the ground his gameplan is like diaz throws punches till you try to shoot then tries to guillotine

Wtf, he dont look like no blue belt. Get that glass dick out of your mouth

He's trained with the Gracies for 10 years. He was shredding people when he was 15. Read absolutely nothing into youtube training footage.

It's crazy to look at training footage of black belts and read too much into things. Practice is practice. Who knows how hard people are going or what they're working on. Ortega is a legit black belt with a large skill set.

My biggest thought about his jiu-jitsu is that he's a finisher. Especially with head and arms. If he gets near a triangle or a front headlock you're going away.

Any real footage of him rolling? Not fooling around with a white belt or some flow roll?

i mean i've seen this einstein guy talk but i can't even understand what he's saying. honestly sounds like an idiot whackjob to me.

I think his overall BJ game is solid top 5 in the UFC. Like a previous poster stated, don’t let and YouTube videos influence your opinion on Ortega....That’s just a small snapshot of his game...The guy will be Champ....

I know Ryan Gracie and Roger Gracie both have pretty good cage takedowns against the fence, so he might be fairly good in that area as well.

Ryan? Did he ever fight in a cage? Do you mean Renzo?

I think his overall BJ game is solid top 5 in the UFC.

1. Miesha
2. Raquel
3. Karate Hottie
4. Amanda Nunes (yeah she likes girls mostly but has a diverse skill set)
5. Ortega. Keep working it kid.

Ryan? Did he ever fight in a cage? Do you mean Renzo?

Mescuzzi, i was thinking of Nieman Gracie when i typed that. He's been having a pretty good run in Bellator.

Last edited:
i don't think the bjj community gives Ortega nearly the love he deserves: the guy is representing a real 2.0 version of what Gracie jiu-jitsu can look like in modern MMA. one could argue that a UFC featherweight title run is a far more impressive accomplishment for than sport bjj titles.

Isn't ts like a brown/black belt? I'd think with so many years of experience he'd instinctively know not to say something so ridiculous. Theres an exception to every rule I guess

i don't think the bjj community gives Ortega nearly the love he deserves: the guy is representing a real 2.0 version of what Gracie jiu-jitsu can look like in modern MMA. one could argue that a UFC featherweight title run is a far more impressive accomplishment for than sport bjj titles.
sons of helio dont like modern mma due to time limits im under relson gracie and he really doesnt like it to them u only have 5 minutes not even counting how long it takes to get someone down to catch your sub that causes a lot of decision losses if u cant get your game to work right away

Isn't ts like a brown/black belt? I'd think with so many years of experience he'd instinctively know not to say something so ridiculous. Theres an exception to every rule I guess

lol you obviously havnt trained with to many black belts especially from the first generation gracie lineage i train with 1 ona daily basis who got a silver in the pan ams in 1997 and another in 98 whos alot like ortega he has a insane cross choke scissors sweep and armlock from closed guard but hes basically a blue belt at every other part of the game especially open guard im under the gracies but i can deny that they have there own flaws in jiu jitsu mostly with open guard retention and passing

I don't think his positioning is great, he sometimes will just sit in guard waiting for something to happen. He has excellent submissions though.

exactly my point but for him it works fine cause he likes to strike and go for subs when guys shoot and give him his front headlock

Back