thoughts on brian ortegas jiu jitsu

i don't think the bjj community gives Ortega nearly the love he deserves: the guy is representing a real 2.0 version of what Gracie jiu-jitsu can look like in modern MMA. one could argue that a UFC featherweight title run is a far more impressive accomplishment for than sport bjj titles.

I think it is. Which is why I think Demian Maia has the best game in the world.

Which flights are you referring to? I was actually going to fire up the fight pass and watch him anyway. From what I remember his guard is one of the best in MMA as far as being offensive and avoiding damage. I'm really going to have to watch which videos you're talking about because he is one of the best bjj guys in MMA rn

exactly my point but for him it works fine cause he likes to strike and go for subs when guys shoot and give him his front headlock

i think what makes him great is that he fights masterfully at "Gracie Challenge range:" instead of the push kick he'll throw overhands and flying knees; if you come in on him he's ready with his front headlock series (and presumably a flying triangle also); if you take him down he's ready with a textbook Gracie closed guard; if you get indecisive he will hit a trip and take your back.

i think what makes him great is that he fights masterfully at "Gracie Challenge range:" instead of the push kick he'll throw overhands and flying knees; if you come in on him he's ready with his front headlock series (and presumably a flying triangle also); if you take him down he's ready with a textbook Gracie closed guard; if you get indecisive he will hit a trip and take your back.

im wondering how hes gonna do when a good grappler takes him down and starts to pass through his half from vids i seen he didnt really play half he just hooked with right leg and tries to hip escape back to closed old school gracie way i dont think that has a place in todays game i think using half to come up to singles is the best solution for mma maia style

Dear tekkebfan, please answer me one thing: do you have some kind of dyslexia that makes you unable of using punctuation?

i don't think the bjj community gives Ortega nearly the love he deserves: the guy is representing a real 2.0 version of what Gracie jiu-jitsu can look like in modern MMA. one could argue that a UFC featherweight title run is a far more impressive accomplishment for than sport bjj titles.

I think the MMA community over rates him.

2.0 Version of GJJ? Because he guillotined Moicano by the skin of his teeth and tapped Cub Swanson?

nope just dont care to

Punctuation is an important part of the English language and helps people read what you're saying. Don't be lazy.

I know you're FAR from the only one, but some of your posts are fucking hard to read.

I think the MMA community over rates him.

2.0 Version of GJJ? Because he guillotined Moicano by the skin of his teeth and tapped Cub Swanson?
He also fucked up Thiago Tavares from his back and swept him from guard, for what it's worth.

He has submitted, what, three BJJ black belts in MMA. That's petty good MMA grappling.

Back