Thoughts on Ray Cooper III?

he definitely turned some heads the way he dominated shields. i'll be following to see what he does the rest of his fights

After yesterday's main event I had to do some research.

Ray Cooper III has KO wins at

- 0:34 of 1st
- 0:27 of 1st
- 0:12 of 1st
- 0:08 of 1st
- 0:04 of 1st

Plus every win was a finish. Here's some GIFs.

vs. Adrian Bartee
giphy.gif

vs. Charles Bennett
giphy.gif

vs. Jake Shields
giphy.gif

Thoughts?
For sure looking foward to his future fights. Sheilds never been koed before since the ellenberger fight and that shit was a long time ago. Honestly thought Jake was going to win by humping him for 15min but.... gg. Betted $15 to win around $115-$120 on this fight lol.

if he beats Rick Story, he is gonna do big things.
If things stay how they are he'll face Nurmagomedov in the first playoff round, which is cool too. But there's still one more welterweight fight that can change things.

Last edited:
Ray Cooper III has got to be the one guy from PFL that is a completely new face to me that has become a must watch guy. Shields had nothing for him and he showed a great sprawl and good TDD in that fight. Then he absolutely steamrolled Kusch. I want to see him fight Story but I think he sprawls and brawls his way to win the tournament. He seems fundamentally sound in all areas of MMA and correct me if I’m wrong but at WW in the PFL there doesn’t seem to be a single rangy technical striker which is a matchup that could give him problems stylistically.

If things stay how they are he'll face Nurmagomedov in the first playoff round, which is cool too. But there's still one more welterweight fight that can change things.
Khabib’s cousin has looked far from impressive it might be he is undersized a bit but Westin went for a Kimura which though it was defended he used it to gain dominant position. I think Islam Makhachev is the guy who really has a chance to go far that’s also in Khabib’s camp (I know he is not in the PFL, but in the UFC)

He has scary power and is aggressive so im glad he's in the tourney and we'll get at least 1 more fight from him.It should be interesting to see him against a couple more solid WWs.Zeferino has looked good..

Shields had nothing for him and he showed a great sprawl and good TDD in that fight. Then he absolutely steamrolled Kusch.

Kusch was another of the WWs that impressed me in the first round.

I just hope Cooper III and Zeferino beat the Ali managed guys and Rick Story.

Is he a one round fighter who is inefficient with his energy? To be determined.

looked lethal agianst kusch but thats all ive seen. seems hes got mongrel about him, watch out.

Packs a solid wallop, which is a good base for early in the fights. Curious how well rounded he might be as his competition increases. So far so Good, liked his show with Jake.

I like the guy just for destroy Jake Shields. Fuck that guy.

My thought is that he's gonna be a millionaire soon.

He’s got serious power in both hands, the left he threw on Bennet that stiffened him up was nice.

Unheralded island boy with no big show experience did what GSP, Lawler, Hendo couldn't. Damaged old man Shields repeatedly until the finish. He knows you have to throw strikes in order to land strikes. Nice of him to get takedowns too. I wonder if he studied Shields vs Sexyama.

Shields sure does look extremely awkward as if you'd never guess he was a pro fighter.

Add Paul Semtex Daley and Carlos Condit to that list too. Shields is a lousy striker but is/was still extremely hard to put away. Ray Cooper III is an absolute animal and I'm thrilled to see him on the come-up.

Add Paul Semtex Daley and Carlos Condit to that list too. Shields is a lousy striker but is/was still extremely hard to put away. Ray Cooper III is an absolute animal and I'm thrilled to see him on the come-up.
Let's hope he isn't just a one round fighter like Carwin and BJ and Thatch.

He's powerful and looking like a beast in the PFL playoffs.

Shields will fight Ray Cooper the 9th in the next World Series of Professional Fighters Association in 5 years

Back