Thoughts on Rickson's BJJ/Self Defense claims?

lecter

not even webscale
@Silver
Reaction score
This week I watched Rickson at Joe Rogan's podcast as well as his interview with Budo Jake.

I respect Rickson just like everybody else does and I think he has a point there, the self defense aspects of bjj may have taken a back seat, there are definitely too much schools that don't even teach the basics of self defense like simple head lock escapes, punch protection etc., instructors that in fact won't teach anything that isn't relevant in IBJJF competition.
And I agree that this is something that we as a bjj community should take care of.
But tbh I just think he is way too generalized,narrow minded not to say kind of ignorant with his comments on modern BJJ.

He kind of says Hey guys modern BJJ doesn't work in real fight, period.
He doesn't talk about that you have to use other strategy, that the priorities shift towards other techniques etc.
I mean I never really got the point of guys claiming this or that position 'doesn't work'
in a 'real fight'.
I mean really what is a 'street fight' and how do only certain techniques work there, the situations that you can be put in on the streets are innumerable.
Of course nobody would pull x-guard in a fight from the get-go, but really if you end up underneath the guy why would a simple or even advanced x-guard sweep not work on some thug if I'm able to sweep purple belts in competition with it, just for example.
I thinks it's more a matter of good and bad strategies then of techniques that 'work' or 'don't work'.

What bothers me here is that he is straight playing into the hands of all that bullshit-self defense clowns that are preaching stuff like 'Hey your sport has nothing to do with the streets bro, trust me, come in and I teach you the deadly techniques that are forbidden in your sports but highly effective like the every-problem-solving groin kick and the eye poke from bottom mount position.
Clowns that never fought but sell their bullshit kung fu or whatever under the pretext that combat sport is so much different from self defense.

He said that he is heart broken if he hears things like 'you want self defense? Go to krav maga not jiu jitsu' but does he think this is getting better if the most respected BJJ fighter of all time goes from interview to interview and explains that BJJ doesn't work in real fights anymore?

Now this bullshido jerks can argue like Ey guys even your hero rickson gracie admits that bjj does not work in real fights.

Furthermore imho teams that only training for BJJ competitions are only one side of the medal if you talk about BJJ and real fighting.
MMA is so popular in our days, so much BJJ guys also are interested in MMA, so much gyms also offer Stand Up and Judo so much people learn BJJ in MMA Gyms.
A lot more guys are training no gi, the training frequency of an average grappler is much higher than 10 years ago.
The physical attributes of a modern bjj player are much better than 10 years ago.
A lot of bjj students that want to succeed look into judo or wrestling to sharpen their takedowns.
All these points are completely ignored any time this topic is coming up.

I wish he would address this topic a little bit more sophisticated.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
First of all, Rickson has been in real street fights and MMA fights and its Rickson, I think he knows a thing or two more than you about what works and what doesn't, despite him trying to market his brand of JJ.

Secondly, the purple belts that you use X guard on are giving you expected and familiar movements and reactions. A thug will be giving unexpected and unorthodox movements whilst trying to break your face.

Not to mention a lot of weekend warriors and average joes are in the sport JJ scene. The scene that Rickson came from were rough and tough fighters who threw down anywhere at any time.

Well Kron should give us an idea of how good Rickson was...

First of all, Rickson has been in real street fights and MMA fights and its Rickson, I think he knows a thing or two more than you about what works and what doesn't

I couldn't respect this guy more than i already do.
It's not about him oder what to do in street fights just about what he said in this particular interview and the way he said it.
To sit somebody on a throne and just eat everything that he says because of who he is, well that isn't exactly the philosophy that i learned through bjj.
Secondly, the purple belts that you use X guard on are giving you expected and familiar movements and reactions.
As far as i said able to use a x-guard sweep, 'expected and familiar movements and reactions' means they fall down and give me top position and
A thug will be giving unexpected and unorthodox movements
means that he counters the x-guard sweep?
No just kidding i get your point but that's not really the core of the discussion.

Not to mention a lot of weekend warriors and average joes are in the sport JJ scene. The scene that Rickson came from were rough and tough fighters who threw down anywhere at any time.

i think today most average joes are definitely in the self defense classes without any sparring and hard workouts and not competing at high level tournaments

This week I watched Rickson at Joe Rogan's podcast as well as his interview with Budo Jake.

I respect Rickson just like everybody else does and I think he has a point there, the self defense aspects of bjj may have taken a back seat, there are definitely too much schools that don't even teach the basics of self defense like simple head lock escapes, punch protection etc., instructors that in fact won't teach anything that isn't relevant in IBJJF competition.
And I agree that this is something that we as a bjj community should take care of.
But tbh I just think he is way too generalized,narrow minded not to say kind of ignorant with his comments on modern BJJ.

He kind of says Hey guys modern BJJ doesn't work in real fight, period.
He doesn't talk about that you have to use other strategy, that the priorities shift towards other techniques etc.
I mean I never really got the point of guys claiming this or that position 'doesn't work'
in a 'real fight'.
I mean really what is a 'street fight' and how do only certain techniques work there, the situations that you can be put in on the streets are innumerable.
Of course nobody would pull x-guard in a fight from the get-go, but really if you end up underneath the guy why would a simple or even advanced x-guard sweep not work on some thug if I'm able to sweep purple belts in competition with it, just for example.
I thinks it's more a matter of good and bad strategies then of techniques that 'work' or 'don't work'.

What bothers me here is that he is straight playing into the hands of all that bullshit-self defense clowns that are preaching stuff like 'Hey your sport has nothing to do with the streets bro, trust me, come in and I teach you the deadly techniques that are forbidden in your sports but highly effective like the every-problem-solving groin kick and the eye poke from bottom mount position.
Clowns that never fought but sell their bullshit kung fu or whatever under the pretext that combat sport is so much different from self defense.

He said that he is heart broken if he hears things like 'you want self defense? Go to krav maga not jiu jitsu' but does he think this is getting better if the most respected BJJ fighter of all time goes from interview to interview and explains that BJJ doesn't work in real fights anymore?

Now this bullshido jerks can argue like Ey guys even your hero rickson gracie admits that bjj does not work in real fights.

Furthermore imho teams that only training for BJJ competitions are only one side of the medal if you talk about BJJ and real fighting.
MMA is so popular in our days, so much BJJ guys also are interested in MMA, so much gyms also offer Stand Up and Judo so much people learn BJJ in MMA Gyms.
A lot more guys are training no gi, the training frequency of an average grappler is much higher than 10 years ago.
The physical attributes of a modern bjj player are much better than 10 years ago.
A lot of bjj students that want to succeed look into judo or wrestling to sharpen their takedowns.
All these points are completely ignored any time this topic is coming up.

I wish he would address this topic a little bit more sophisticated.

Thoughts?

Watch the Budo Jake video it kinda says it all when a bjj black belt was clueless about the rear choke defense. Self defense isn't always the same as 2 people willingly entering into a fight.

Like how Marvis gave us an idea of how good Joe was?

I don't know who you're talking about lol but I'll just assume it's something all the old fans know and that you put my post to shame

To me, it seems like he believes bjj is losing it's effectiveness as a bi product of the rules. He's not necessarily saying the worm guard or berimbolo or 50/50 are bad techniques, but the idea of competitions is to sharpen your self defense, and the techniques born out of the rules, are often not your best options. I don't think his mentality is one of sport vs street. It's actually the attempt to reunite the two.

Watch the Budo Jake video it kinda says it all when a bjj black belt was clueless about the rear choke defense. Self defense isn't always the same as 2 people willingly entering into a fight.

wait, there is some good stuff coming up.

as budo jake is doing an interview and techniques with Henry Atkins.

and just like his master, Henry likes putting people on the spot.

I watched the Budo Jake videos... wasn't particularly impressed. They were basic body skills that you get from practicing standing arts. In addition, it's crazy to prescribe a certain move. You can't just say what to do versus a standing choke. It really depends on what the other guy is doing. There are so many more variables than being on the ground. Sometimes you should turn around, others try to throw, etc. Lastly, Rickson and the older Gracies also had Judo experience.

I watched the Budo Jake videos... wasn't particularly impressed. They were basic body skills that you get from practicing standing arts. In addition, it's crazy to prescribe a certain move. You can't just say what to do versus a standing choke. It really depends on what the other guy is doing. There are so many more variables than being on the ground. Sometimes you should turn around, others try to throw, etc. Lastly, Rickson and the older Gracies also had Judo experience.

Isn't Rickson a Judo blackbelt too?

Uh yeah it's pretty basic knowledge and by "feel" I would expect a bjj black belt to he was looking for seoi nagi. I mean Rickson tried to tell him what to do and he was still lost.

Isn't Rickson a Judo blackbelt too?

I do not think so.

Lot of the Gracies kids trained under Medhi but I read somewhere that Rickson mentioned that he could not see himself getting throwned around at a Judo school because of his rep.

I don't know how you can draw this parallel.

I don't think you can deny that old-school, Vale Tudo BJJ would better equip you for a real fight than sport BJJ. The differences between the two is what he's lamenting.

Imagine a boxer from the 1800s was lamenting Queensbury rules: London Prize ring rules were bareknuckled, no time limits and relied heavily on throws. I think we can both agree that would prepare you more completely for a real fight / MMA fight than modern boxing.

This is the position Rickson is in.

Any connection between Rickson lamenting the removal of the fighting elements from BJJ and TMA dinks who claim their style is too dangerous for sport is entirely imaginary and only in your head.

Back