Thoughts on Rickson's BJJ/Self Defense claims?

And you still shit on the new combatives and have not taken a look at their new program.

Jesús dude let it go, of course sd pre stage techniques are worthless, not all gjj is, and where the heck do you think old vale Rufo fighters came from?

The old vale tudo fighters surely did not come the Gracie jiu jitsu self defense.

That is for sure.

What is their new program?

You are referring to what Renee and his bro are selling online including a blue belt?..
I watched the videos.

The old vale tudo fighters surely did not come the Gracie jiu jitsu self defense.

That is for sure.

What is their new program?

You are referring to what Renee and his bro are selling online including a blue belt?..
I watched the videos.

Sd choegraphic stuff is useless, but the Bjj fighters fighting vale tudo were all gjj lineage... I don’t see your point you shit in a whole lineage just cause some purple show you a couple of Kata crap, after about a couple of months, you realize that is pure bullshit, yet there’s a ton of valuage on the gjj approach to fighting

Sd choegraphic stuff is useless, but the Bjj fighters fighting vale tudo were all gjj lineage... I don’t see your point you shit in a whole lineage just cause some purple show you a couple of Kata crap, after about a couple of months, you realize that is pure bullshit, yet there’s a ton of valuage on the gjj approach to fighting

Hum.
The techniques he demonstrated were the real stuff that was passed on from Royce Gracie himself via his network.
Now I don't think that these specific method olgy is what created and shaped the Gracie fighters .

We know very well that it was for the rich business men that they use to teach private classes to .

Maybe there is more to it.

Did they disclose all their techniques or training program to the public?

Also I do not agree that a purple belt is low level and therefore not a good example to gauge a whole program based on his display of knowledge.

Hence the reason why self defense techniques for specific scenarios are worthless .

Once again we are moving away from the concept of Kano: something about training against resisting opponent.

If you want to do Kata training, just do it
I bet you there would 100 debates about which gjj self defense techniques apply to what ever situation.

I tried to introduce a gjj self defense program.
I had a purple belt that came from a GJJ background.
So I decided to get him to show one move after warm up.
The demonstration went something like this.
It was something like:" grab my lapel" ....I grab the lapel..."no, not this lapel...the other one because otherwise it would be a different technique".

quickly we go into the rabbit hole.

Also that gjj student told me a sad story about his old school.
No one rolled unless you went to open mats on Saturday.
They just drilled 2 self defense techniques per class. Sport jiu jitsu techniques were ridiculed and their practices were discourage.
Most people by purple belt left to join another academy of sport jiu jitsu. They also had to swallow their pride because they surely not up to the sport standard due to their lack of training in sport bjj..

I’ve watched your instructionals on YouTube and how many times are you just covering one scenario? If you’re covering a z guard pass, in isolation, it’s situational. That’s how Bjj is taught.

If I have a certain grip on you, it may be optimal for a seoi nage or certain guards lend themselves to inversion like reverse dlr or dlr but closed guard, you can’t invert. This is a very no brainer scenario. If I put you in a rear bear hug over your arms or under, there are certain limitations.

The issue isn’t the situational technique but the lack of sparring or controlled sparring. Judokas don’t eye gouge one another to be street ready. Even Judo books have self defense techniques that I found somewhat silly as they all depend on your opponent wearing a heavy jacket to throw him with. BJJ realized this and The old school guys like Fabio Gurgel or Robson Moura talk about taking one challenge matches. And I came across one early article ages ago with pictures of guys wearing their pants but shirtless doing light sparring but focusing one taking down one another and fighting.

When I first started, I learned
I had a friend who met up with a Gracie student and he was asked to spar using punches to the body but I think slaps to the face. But we both learned the GJJ foot kick entry that all BJJ guys used in their fights. We only trained those techniques but not in a sparring context though.

Btw, I think you’re a very good instructor based on your YouTube vids.

Also I do not agree that a purple belt is low level and therefore not a good example to gauge a whole program based on his display of knowledge.

what I dont agree is basing your whole opinion on a system because one purple belt seminar..

I really dont see your point.... SD tecnique suck? no shit, everything thats choreagraph sucks for real life...

but it is not possible to denied that the helio side has produced tons of fighters. How do you think these guys turned fighters? by rolling and training for fighting, but then again, you come up "and he told me that they never roll" thus gjj guys dont roll or train to fight... then how did the get good at fighting? by doing judo?

Back