Thoughts On The Check Hook?

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I......love...….this...….punch. Not like, LOVE.

This is undoubtedly my second favorite punch next to the jab. Why? It allows you to stay one step ahead of your opponent. It also is hard to defend if you have a decent reach as it places itself well to the outside of an opponent's line of sight especially when they are aggressively coming in on you. What are your thoughts on the check hook?

Are there any techniques you've seen or utilized that are hard or next to impossible to see coming?

Thoughts?

great move but be careful that they don't draw out the punch and counter with a right overhand. the check hook puts your head right in the line of fire if you mess it up.

luke rockhold comes to mind has someone who over uses the check hook when a counter straight shot with good footwork would've been better. The Romero fight really expose his check hook.

luke rockhold comes to mind has someone who over uses the check hook when a counter straight shot with good footwork would've been better. The Romero fight really expose his check hook.
people tend to fall in love with it and over use it. i can remember sparring a bloke that never threw a proper left hook only the check hook, i have never landed so many right hands in a sparring match. personally i rather dislike the check hook as a lot of people that throw it can't throw a proper left hook (rockhold) and leave themselves vulnerable. true masters like ali and mayweather make it look great, but they never over rely on it and always use a proper left hook to set the punch up.

people tend to fall in love with it and over use it. i can remember sparring a bloke that never threw a proper left hook only the check hook, i have never landed so many right hands in a sparring match. personally i rather dislike the check hook as a lot of people that throw it can't throw a proper left hook (rockhold) and leave themselves vulnerable. true masters like ali and mayweather make it look great, but they never over rely on it and always use a proper left hook to set the punch up.
I like it against southpaws as you're pivoting away from their straight. Most guys have a hard time catching you.

Agree with the other posters about being careful with it.. one of my favorite shots, however I love when people throw them at me because I can time them right a straight down the middle. Right hands for days if you figure out the timing of a check hooker.

Agree with the other posters about being careful with it.. one of my favorite shots, however I love when people throw them at me because I can time them right a straight down the middle. Right hands for days if you figure out the timing of a check hooker.
you know it's kinda interesting, i used to throw the check hook a fair bit when i first started boxing. i never use it anymore, maybe it's something i should try incorporating a bit more again. you have such a strong left hook i'm a bit surprised that you still mix it up with the check. it's usually used by stylists more than punchers, maybe your just a stylish puncher eh?

you know it's kinda interesting, i used to throw the check hook a fair bit when i first started boxing. i never use it anymore, maybe it's something i should try incorporating a bit more again. you have such a strong left hook i'm a bit surprised that you still mix it up with the check. it's usually used by stylists more than punchers, maybe your just a stylish puncher eh?

You can still throw the check hook with power, I hurt guys a fair amount with it actually, more so than my normal left hook I think because it's such a surprising shot. The check hook is an amazing tool if you can throw them well, for those guy that love to come forward & ESPECIALLY for guys who like to leap in with hooks, a good check hook with stop all that immediately. A good left hooker knows all the weaknesses to the shot, and its ironic because the best counter to a left hook is a left hook. When you got 2 hookers you gotta start getting pretty with em' and find a way to exploit the weaknesses of ur opponents hook without getting exploited yourself & the check hook is the perfect tool for that.

I bait guys into coming forward, sometimes even motion them with the right hand and then time their entry with the check hook. For me, I do it when fighting off the back foot, and pivoting. I was taught to use it when a coach saw this muscle bound guy wanted to keep pressing me trying to bully with his size. He told me to matador the bull.

It's always been one of my weapons. I lean back and pivot so I've never felt threatened by the right hand, the only issue I came across was becoming predictable. Then my friend taught me to pivot right (I'm orthodox).

It's not a proper punch I think, I injured my elbow doing it because I was fighting a very aggressive in fighter who kept trying to get into my chest, so partly out of frustration of his pressure I blasted him with the hardest check hook I've ever thrown. He went chest and face into the ropes behind me and leaned almost out of the ring. However, my elbow extended wrong and it's been in healing for a few weeks now. Ehhh…..fighting hurts. lol

I bait guys into coming forward, sometimes even motion them with the right hand and then time their entry with the check hook. For me, I do it when fighting off the back foot, and pivoting. I was taught to use it when a coach saw this muscle bound guy wanted to keep pressing me trying to bully with his size. He told me to matador the bull.

It's always been one of my weapons. I lean back and pivot so I've never felt threatened by the right hand, the only issue I came across was becoming predictable. Then my friend taught me to pivot right (I'm orthodox).

It's not a proper punch I think, I injured my elbow doing it because I was fighting a very aggressive in fighter who kept trying to get into my chest, so partly out of frustration of his pressure I blasted him with the hardest check hook I've ever thrown. He went chest and face into the ropes behind me and leaned almost out of the ring. However, my elbow extended wrong and it's been in healing for a few weeks now. Ehhh…..fighting hurts. lol
you obviously have the right idea how to use, just watch out if they fake that right.

giphy.gif

That's the danger of it if someone can time it, when someone is throwing a counter/check hook at me (since it is amazing at countering the lead hook, and I throw those often, if a guy starts trying to counter my lead hook with it I will:..) I will break rhythm with a throwaway hook and come in with the right hand quick down the middle.

like the punch in southpaw vs orthodox, but easy to counter if kicks involved.

like the punch in southpaw vs orthodox, but easy to counter if kicks involved.

What would be your strategy to counter it using kicks. I'm legit curious. I started Shotokan over the summer, and I am still very green with kicking. Thoughts please?

What would be your strategy to counter it using kicks. I'm legit curious. I started Shotokan over the summer, and I am still very green with kicking. Thoughts please?

check hooks are done with slight pivot, to catch someone coming in, while you're moving out of the way, while delivering a sneaky hook that comes in while you pivot out.

but look at the legs, that front leg is moving into and exposes more thigh to an outside leg kick (very easy attack in open stance), and while their body moves as they pivot on that front leg, that leg moves on the spot, is basically stationary for your roundhouse. either kick works. like to bait coming in, step your back leg angled out and step into an outside leg kick, kicks always beat hooks :D catch him at a right time, easy to stagger as they pivot as well. (another reason why boxing stance while hooking is easily susceptible to kicks, watch diaz vs rda, pivoting makes that weakness more pronounced. to stagger very easily just aim lower on achilles not thigh)

not Floyd as the title suggests but is a perfect example of a perfect counter to a check left hook that results in a knockout

Good shot. Looks like the poor guy was too slow on the draw.

how did I forget about one of the most memorable ones in recent times:

Even tho this thread is about how good the check hook is & all I'm doing is posting brutal counters to it, my bad. Lol, it really is a great shot tho to throw and most people can't time it like that.

how did I forget about one of the most memorable ones in recent times:

Even tho this thread is about how good the check hook is & all I'm doing is posting brutal counters to it, my bad. Lol, it really is a great shot tho to throw and most people can't time it like that.

Those are good posts. Gives something to think about. If you get timed it can be all bad lol.

Get down and punch right in the abdomen this does not give to see at the time of the fight.

The best thing about this technique is you are in a great close range position to start throwing counters. Try using straight punches to their stomach, or drive up with a right uppercut and follow with a left hook.
cmb270.jpg

Last edited:
Back