Thoughts on this pyramid? Agree? Disagree?

Like Devout said, back in the good ole days, a rapist, child molester getting his ass kicked used to be applauded, or men defending their women, or women in general used to be lauded….

But that's still happens. There have been several instances in recent years where a husband or father beat somebody almost to death following a rape and got overwhelming support from the public.

Where does this idea come from that people in America are passive about rape?? Seriously, I don't understand where you guys got that impression.

The graph doesn't mean anything, you could draw your own random graph right now, it would have no more or less scientific validity i.e. none.

Right. It's not a graph of data, even. It's a way to illustrate a point. You can disagree or agree with the point more easily if you understand it, and that is what the graph is for.

Murder is kinda hard to compare to anything else due to the finality of the event.

But gang rape is fucking horrific. Its a sadistic act that is extremely traumatic for the victim with often lifelong mental consequences. Its right up there with murder.

But some people can make a good case for murder in certain circumstances (not me tho, because that would be technically against the rules and I don't break rules) . I mean if someone tracked down a pedo and murdered him ...would you care? I wouldn't.

Or ever hear of Joe Horn?

So with murder context matters.

While gang rape is always wrong.

If I tracked down a pedophile and gang-raped him, would you care?

Honestly I don't disagree with your point really.

I'd rather be murdered than gang raped.

But its weird that murder is on there at all. Its not rape. Why not include credit car theft, or bank fraud if we are just throwing random crimes up there?

Yea I thought the context of the pyramid was weird. Not arguing that gang-rape is a "walk-it-off" type of crime (pun intended).

If I tracked down a pedophile and gang-raped him, would you care?

Honestly I don't disagree with your point really.

I think anyone who wants to gang rape someone is sick regardless of their reasons.

Yes, gang raping a pedo is wrong.

But that's still happens. There have been several instances in recent years where a husband or father beat somebody almost to death following a rape and got overwhelming support from the public.

Where does this idea come from that people in America are passive about rape?? Seriously, I don't understand where you guys got that impression.

I was just thinking out loud...rambling...

It's an over simplification and is only presented to try and support a "rape culture " cry in the US that does not exist.

No sane man with wife, sister, daughter or female relative supports rape. Men know it's wrong and most want to kill anyone that would do most of the stuff in that triangle to any woman they know.

I think a significant portion of the pyramid is valid for why a certain subset of the population does what it does. I also think many of the current progressive and conservative ideologies have next to nothing in terms of authentic ways to stop or just curb it.

i disagree with the idea of rape culture

the overall premise is that its our cultures fault for allowing rapes to happen, that if we made it clear that rape is WRONG, then people will stop doing it. rape only happens because boys dont know that rape is wrong...

which is utter horseshit, people know murder is wrong but they do it all the time

rapists should be castrated and/or executed, we dont need to police and nag non-rapists 24/7 to make sure that they know not to rape anyone today

The base of the pyramid at a lower level should have "Attraction to women"

Isn't that the REAL root of the problem?

"Safe word violations" seems too high on the list. To me that's the equivalent of demanding never to hear anything one might find offensive.

Edit: I missed the rape culture nature of the graph. Derp. Doesn't change my comment, but makes me wonder why some of the phrases are on there.

"Safe word violations" seems too high on the list. To me that's the equivalent of demanding never to hear anything one might find offensive.

What does safe word violation even mean? Is that some sort of SNM thing?

i think you misunderstand..
if you and your lover have a "safe word" and you say it and she still sticks a 12 in dildo in your keister then i would say thats a violation

i think you misunderstand..
if you and your lover have a "safe word" and you say it and she still sticks a 12 in dildo in your keister then i would say thats a violation
Oy vey.

And I'm out!

If I understand correctly, the pyramid implies that if we eliminated stuff from the base, it would lead to a decrease of the stuff in the top. I don't think this is the case. This is a question of your understanding of human nature. Why do we do bad stuff? Is it because we are blank slates and were made bad by culture, or could it be that there is a genetic component to it? Science suggests the latter.

I already knew that cat calling was just one small step below online death and rape threats.

Oy vey.

And I'm out!

Seeing as how the Pyramid looks to be some sort of Feminist project, you could be forgiven if you assumed it had something to do with 'safe spaces'

I have yet to meet a female who wants to participate in a relationship that is spelled out in contractual form, point by point. Specifically as it pertains to the phyical, romantic realm. Even most ardent, angry, hurt, injured females fantasize about in thought and conversation with other females about the mysterious realm of romance. A whole Harelquin romance industry is based on blurred lines, ambiguity and even illicit naughtiness. Consistently there is the desire to be lusted after, desired physically, and even for uncontrolled physical advances where the male is driven past his ability to control himself.

I see power as being quite integral to all of this. And no, I'm not advocating rape culture in any sense. I'm more or less bringing to attention the hypocrisy that exists as well.

Back