Thread Posting Guidelines

Zankou

Bringing peace and love
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Added note: Racial-Themed threads will most likely be locked because they have repeatedly proven to be problematic.

This post is intended to clarify a few guidelines about posting new threads in the War Room. These are not hard-and-fast rules, but they are things you should think about before posting a thread. Failure to adhere to these principles means that your new thread may be at risk for being closed or deleted.

[1] Do not post multiple threads in one day, particularly addressing the same subject. This tends to drown out other posters from bringing different ideas into the discussion. It isn't fair to monopolize the discussion. Posting two or three threads can sometimes be okay, particularly when they are on different subjects. But that is the exception, not the rule. If you are a relatively new poster in this forum, it is particularly important not to begin by spamming lots of new threads.

[2] Do not continually post threads regarding the exact same issue. If you do not like nation X, that is entirely okay. It is fine to post a thread criticizing nation X. What's not okay is to post nothing but threads attacking nation X, day after day, month after month, obsessively.

[3] Do not engage in excessive use of "cut and paste articles" or "read this/watch this links." If you have something to say, say it yourself, including your own opinion and thought in your post. The War Room does not exist as a link referral board.

[4] Search function, search function, search function. Before posting a thread on some news item, make sure there isn't already an existing thread on the exact same thing.

[5] Make sure your thread has NEW INTERESTING CONTENT. Recognize that your view that China/Russia/the U.S./Israel/Iran/France/Australia etcetera is super evil/lame is *not new,* but has been posted thousands of times before. Similarly, your startling insight that Hinduism/Islam/Christianity/Judaism/atheism is bad has already been posted .... six thousand times. If you are going to post a thread on a subject that has been rehashed thousands of times over, make sure there is something new and interesting your thread will add to the conversation. Don't just yoach forth your personal feelings on a tired old subject.

[6] Post replies in your own thread. Don't just post and abandon it. Keep addressing what others say.

[7] Think a bit before you post. Do you really understand what you are posting about? Did you read it through? Is it really interesting? Don't just post a lazily written introduction to a link when you don't understand what the link actually says.

Hopefully this provides a bit more clarity on how to post new threads that further the spirit of this forum. This thread is left unlocked in case people want to comment on and discuss these kinds of issues further.

With a 7 month old baby, the word "yoach" has become a permanent part of my vocabulary.

With a 7 month old baby, the word "yoach" has become a permanent part of my vocabulary.

Your lack of clarification, given the definitional options presented, makes me yoach about 67% of the time.

u gettin band

I think Zankou made it pretty clear that the guidelines will cause threads that don't hold water to be closed and/or deleted. Banning would, therefor, be a different game of incendiary and flagrant misbehavior, rather than making threads which are simply poor in how they are written.

Unless a mod wants to say otherwise of course.

[4] Search function, search function, search function. Before posting a thread on some news item, make sure there isn't already an existing thread on the exact same thing.

...so the search function has been fixed recently?

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

REQUEST:

Now that we have a new 'official' list of WarRoom Thread Posting Guidelines, can we get a religion subforum already?

If not, SuperAdmin powers for a couple days will do just fine.

Thanks - Monty

This post is intended to clarify a few guidelines about posting new threads in the War Room. These are not hard-and-fast rules, but they are things you should think about before posting a thread. Failure to adhere to these principles means that your new thread may be at risk for being closed or deleted.

[1] Do not post multiple threads in one day, particularly addressing the same subject. This tends to drown out other posters from bringing different ideas into the discussion. It isn't fair to monopolize the discussion. Posting two or three threads can sometimes be okay, particularly when they are on different subjects. But that is the exception, not the rule. If you are a relatively new poster in this forum, it is particularly important not to begin by spamming lots of new threads.

[2] Do not continually post threads regarding the exact same issue. If you do not like nation X, that is entirely okay. It is fine to post a thread criticizing nation X. What's not okay is to post nothing but threads attacking nation X, day after day, month after month, obsessively.

[3] Do not engage in excessive use of "cut and paste articles" or "read this/watch this links." If you have something to say, say it yourself, including your own opinion and thought in your post. The War Room does not exist as a link referral board.

[5] Make sure your thread has NEW INTERESTING CONTENT. Recognize that your view that China/Russia/the U.S./Israel/Iran/France/Australia etcetera is super evil/lame is *not new,* but has been posted thousands of times before. Similarly, your startling insight that Hinduism/Islam/Christianity/Judaism/atheism is bad has already been posted .... six thousand times. If you are going to post a thread on a subject that has been rehashed thousands of times over, make sure there is something new and interesting your thread will add to the conversation. Don't just yoach forth your personal feelings on a tired old subject.

[6] Post replies in your own thread. Don't just post and abandon it. Keep addressing what others say.

[7] Think a bit before you post. Do you really understand what you are posting about? Did you read it through? Is it really interesting? Don't just post a lazily written introduction to a link when you don't understand what the link actually says.

Hopefully this provides a bit more clarity on how to post new threads that further the spirit of this forum. This thread is left unlocked in case people want to comment on and discuss these kinds of issues further.

So in other words... you're saying that Depth needs to stop making threads altogether.

REQUEST:

Now that we have a new 'official' list of WarRoom Thread Posting Guidelines, can we get a religion subforum already?

If not, SuperAdmin powers for a couple days will do just fine.

Thanks - Monty

I'm sure Zankou, seeing as that he has no offspring and no vocation, would be thrilled to moderate another forum filled with objectionable material, zealots, and flaming.

I'm sure Zankou, seeing as that he has no offspring and no vocation, would be thrilled to moderate another forum filled with objectionable material, zealots, and flaming.

No need for a mod - just make it a laissez-faire, NHB forum.

Make it accessible to only 1yr old accounts w/ 500 posts.

Have Sherwood place a google nofollow on pages so they don't show up on web searches, and there you have...a religion sub-forum.

...and Montpelerin said, "let there be a religion sub-forum", and there was a sub-forum (most likely not, but hey, I try)

No need for a mod - just make it a laissez-faire, NHB forum.

Make it accessible to only 1yr old accounts w/ 500 posts.

Have Sherwood place a google nofollow on pages so they don't show up on web searches, and there you have...a religion sub-forum.

...and Montpelerin said, "let there be a religion sub-forum", and there was a sub-forum (most likely not, but hey, I try)

I wouldn't have figured you for suggesting laissez-faire anything :icon_chee
Sounds like a pragmatic approach, but I'd much rather have GorillaNation get a lot of other shit together before creating an airtight quarantine for vitriolic theology.

...so the search function has been fixed recently?

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

exactly search function never works for me. i can type in machida, elusive, and technical in the heavyweights forum and nothing comes up for me.

I do not know why it works for others.

I also must say that threads that are titled "Republicans are nutjobs" or "Conservatives are the scum of the earth" or "Why won't liberals just go away" with some one line sweeping generalization that has no weight as the OP is poor form.

Those threads never end well. While I may find the liberal bashing ones humorous and the conservative ones not so much, they are worthless either way and I wouldn't advocate it one way or another.

I also must say that threads that are titled "Republicans are nutjobs" or "Conservatives are the scum of the earth" or "Why won't liberals just go away" with some one line sweeping generalization that has no weight as the OP is poor form.

I second this assertion... threads that are cut and paste are exactly the same, they're simply masked to avoid being trollish. That shit devolves into name calling marathons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back