Threatening statement by John Bolton may have enraged North Korea, leading to scuttling of talks.

They asked after China instructed them.

It's a face saving exercise "Give us what we want, or your meeting is in peril..."

Again I must ask, has negotiating in good faith with what amounts to Sun Tzu mob tactics gotten us far? Or has it gotten North Korea a lot of Chinese and Iranian supplied thermonuclear weapons?
I am confused , cause Iran doesn't have nukes .

One does not have to be a Kim Jong Un apologist, to acknowledge that Bolton is a useless hack.

When you are in possession of all the advantages, you do not need to bring a baseball bat to the negotiating table. They already got Kim Jong Un to buckle and back down, the least they could offer him is a chance to save his face.

They got nothing, just like all administrations before them.

Trump faces North Korea dilemma after John Bolton infuriates Pyongyang

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-faces-north-korea-dilemma-185658887.html

For those of you thinking Bolton's comments doesn't change anything, read the following:

-

North Korea’s denunciation of John Bolton has forced Donald Trump to decide whether to stick with his national security adviser and his hardline tactics, or push ahead with a summit with Kim Jong-un that will provide historic spectacle but an uncertain outcome.

Underlying the plans for the Singapore summit was a fundamental ambiguity over what “complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula” means. For Pyongyang it is a fluid term that means a long-term process of disarmament, involving all major powers, in whose ranks North Korea would henceforward be counted a member.

The Trump administration thought it meant – or wanted it to mean – that Kim was ready to give up the arsenal he had declared complete and operational in January. For his part, the secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, who was tasked by Trump to set up the Kim summit, was ready to live with the ambiguity, at least until 12 June, when the unprecedented encounter is due to take place.

In weekend television appearances, Pompeo seemed to blur the US negotiating position, suggesting the aim was to prevent North Korea threatening the US mainland with nuclear weapons, a lower bar that would theoretically permit Pyongyang to retain some warheads as long as they did not build intercontinental missiles.

Ambiguity is not Bolton’s style, however. In his own, competing, TV appearances, he was adamant that North Korea would have to take all its weapons apart and ship the fissile material to the US. It was this, coupled his earlier reference to the “Libya model” – which for Pyongyang summons up the memory of Muammar Gaddafi’s brutalised body being paraded on a truck – that got the regime’s attention.

“It was quite deliberate. We all know how Gaddafi died,” said Jeffrey Lewis, the director of the East Asia nonproliferation programme at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies of Monterey. “You don’t bring up a man’s grisly murder as an inducement.”

There is no way Bolton did not do that on purpose. By mentioning Libyan model, he knew full well what happened to Gaddafi after Libya gave up its nuclear program. I actually think he's purposely trying to sabotage the talks with North Korea so he can get his war fix. He's a piece of shit chickenhawk itching for a fight, as long as someone else is doing the fighting and dying.
“The North Koreans were prepared to ignore a lot of what the administration said before the summit, but it was the victory lap before the race that has really set them off,” Narang said.

Bolton has a track record with the North Koreans, who blame him for persuading the George W Bush administration to quit a 1994 nuclear deal, the Agreed Framework. In his memoir, Surrender is Not an Option, Bolton boasts about his success in torpedoing state department efforts to keep talks with Pyongyang alive, deriding the diplomats as appeasers.

“The North Koreans were prepared to ignore a lot of what the administration said before the summit, but it was the victory lap before the race that has really set them off,” Narang said.

Bolton has a track record with the North Koreans, who blame him for persuading the George W Bush administration to quit a 1994 nuclear deal, the Agreed Framework. In his memoir, Surrender is Not an Option, Bolton boasts about his success in torpedoing state department efforts to keep talks with Pyongyang alive, deriding the diplomats as appeasers.

Damn Bloton you scarry!

I'm going to quietly keep track of how many posters blame John Bolton over Kim Jong Un.

Have you not followed anything about the deceptions and duplicity of the regime?

How many half-brothers has John Bolton had assassinated publicly assassinated in airports? @MicroBrew
Well I am going to keep track of people who White Knight War Hawking Asshole John Bolton.

I am confused , cause Iran doesn't have nukes .

I was talking Mideast politics in another thread and miss-typed one bad actor for another.

It should read Pakistan, although China does most of the heavy lifting.

No, my opinion on the Korean conflict is independently what it is.

You're throwing out a lot of stuff here, but you're a N Korea hawk. You don't really have anything constructive to add to discussions of peace, as evidenced by your throbbing agreement with sabotaging the peace talks.

What is my "Hawkish" position and what is wrong with that position?

As well, honestly, my grand father fought for a free Korea and passed away not long ago.

He was in the 2nd Infantry Division and served with distinction, nearly froze to death a time or two as well, and most of his platoon never made it out of those frozen hills. I in no way want to have hundreds of thousands of people sacrificed in a conflict, but this is not a binary war/peace choice.

North Korea has twenty five odd million people living in slavery, I want to see that end as well, and propping up the regime with bad deals serves that end.

I don't want any kind of war, I don't want any world with North Korea in it, and those positions are not mutually exclusive.

A tough line on Korea does not mean they are going to charge across the world's largest minefield and into oblivion.

We both know the end game, and one thing that made the North Koreans anxious to "negotiate" (or perhaps rob again, we will see) is being low on supplies, morale, and likely time. One thing to the credit of Trump is that he said, explicitly (Although clumsy, as usual) that North Korea as a dictatorship would not survive any war that they start.

According to the reports from the inside, and here on the doorstep in China, that rattled the North Koreans in a good way.

You know, I really hope behind all the faux smiles and sunshine Kim Jong Un wants to start taking out the bars around his real, living prison state, but "nuts" to trusting him to do so without us -both- doing so step by step.

Bolton loves war, but managed to avoid fighting when it was his turn, typical Republican NeoCon chickenhawk.

I said it in the other thread, this smells like Bolton.

Someone get that nutcase a straight jacket.

Bolton should have not mentioned the name Gadafi.

You mention him I feel like this.
muammar-gaddafi.jpg

Well I am going to keep track of people who White Knight War Hawking Asshole John Bolton.

It only took a month but a lot of Trump diehards are on the John Bolton bandwagon.

Anyone Trump picks no matter how corrupt or neocon (people Trump supporters said they hated) his supporters latch onto like squids.

Back