Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (a Gwent puzzle rpg thing) (steam,gog)

Gandzooka

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What is it?

It is a Gwent (that card minigame in witcher 3) based rpg and puzzle game.

Huh?

You go around adventuring on a map and deal with combat and other situations through Gwent encounters that may have special rules in case of puzzles.

Example of a single puzzle:
Your goal is to kill all enemies but your troops can't deal enough damage to do it and enemies boost their HP at certain intervals. You do however have a card that destroys unit(s) with highest HP. You need to manipulate enemies in to having exact same amount of hp to kill them with your card.

Then there are standard Gwent battles where it lasts 3 rounds and you need to win 2 of them.

You collect resources on map to build more cards and buff your units.
Through choices you make in dialogue etc you gain (and sometimes lose) various allies and artifacts that act as special cards.

When does it take place?
Long before Witcher 3, in fact, in this game Geralt makes appearance later in the game and earns his "of Rivia" name from the main protagonist of the game, Queen Meve of Lyria and Rivia who gets invaded by Nilfgaard.

Angry Joe gameplay:

Currently 85% at Metacritic
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/thronebreaker-the-witcher-tales

On Steam:

On gog.com:
https://www.gog.com/game/thronebreaker_the_witcher_tales

Personal opinion:
I quite like it and have spent my free time almost obsessed with it.

I've heard it was really good. I'm surprised to see it on steam. Last I heard it was only available through the developers website. I guess that didn't work out so well.

I've heard it was really good. I'm surprised to see it on steam. Last I heard it was only available through the developers website. I guess that didn't work out so well.
Yes, apparently it has not sold as well as they expected so no wonder it is on steam now. People don't usually bother to create accounts to new places for just one game. I edited the title to mention steam.

I'm a big witcher fan, but I dont see this as worth the price.

I will most definitely buy it on sale.

This game is awesome. Just picked it up yesterday. If you enjoyed Gwent at all you really should buy it.

Yes, apparently it has not sold as well as they expected so no wonder it is on steam now. People don't usually bother to create accounts to new places for just one game. I edited the title to mention steam.
Well done on your OP.

This game is awesome. Just picked it up yesterday. If you enjoyed Gwent at all you really should buy it.
Considering it. Looks sharp. Funny thing is I largely snickered at Gwent until I was well into Wild Hunt. When it clicked, I was down to play anytime, anywhere and had a blast imposing my spy and siege game on opponents. Having sunk north of 300 hours into 3, one of my biggest regrets was losing out on the opportunity ever to get the Baron's card. I'll probably do another run at some point and make a crusade of it. Cheers.

I have been playing Gwent a long long time. I was extremely pissed that consoles had to wait 5 weeks for homecoming and thronebreaker. On top of that these fucking stupid devs keep fucking up the game and making the same stupid mistakes. I've complained in the past that they make the puzzles too easy. I am referring to when they would occasionally release puzzle games for players to beat and unlock avatars and such. The last one they did was awful. I literally could have closed my eyes and beat it. I figured they learned their lesson but from what I have heard the hard mode on throne breaker isn't even hard. So I'm going to wait for a patch and then maybe get it.

I like CDPR but the development of Gwent has really annoyed me.

I'm loving the game, but I'd really like a mode that is only about collecting cards and playing gwent, Like the game Magic 2014

I finished the game and I have to say I enjoyed it. Lost a couple of people due to decisions I made which didn't suit them and noticed a couple of bugs, one graphical and one where certain cards gameplay mechanic wasn't triggering.

Overall, quite an unusual game, I have never played anything like it. Are other "card" games similar?

this whole game is some kind of experiment tbh (developing and realeasing it via GOG), I played a lot of Gwent beta, but like someone said above: too many changes;
on other hand I've seen postive reviews from hardcore gamers about Thronebreaker, I think it's niche game, but we will see.
they tried to make MOBA game in past and failed, I think this one is still sucess :)

Overall, quite an unusual game, I have never played anything like it. Are other "card" games similar?
i'd recommend the Gwent standalone game if you haven't played it.

I'm enjoying it, but it kind of creates an itch it doesn't scratch. The whole story is about creating a big army and getting stronger, but the deck building is pretty weak and about 70% of the matches are with special rules or totally different deck. I'd really like a mode where you just build a deck and play.

Back